Sinus Trouble.. connected to L&P ???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karren

Reaction score
Hi all

I've been practicing on a couple of people whilst I wait for my next course and I noticed that i have problems with my sinus (spelling ??!?) They have been completely bunged up all day today and I remember it also happening a couple of weeks ago.

I removed a full set yesterday and applied a new set, to try different pink powders. I also applied a fresh set today to someone. I used pinnacle liquid / powder and primer

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, if indeed it is connected at all or just a co-incidence? could dust do this ?? am I too close maybe to the liquid ? I use a daylight too, my room is quite big, though no ventilation apart from door to hallway open, I did open doors to garden a few weeks ago but forgot about draughts and got frosting on my nails !

can anyone help me ?

kx

Hi there,
I too have problems with sinuses and of late is getting worse. I must admit
have never associated it with L & P so would be interesting so see if anybody else suffers ? Have been using L & P for 4 yrs now and only suffer on & off, therefore wouldnt have thought it could be connected. Will be interesting
to see any more replies on the subject !
:confused:

Whenever I do nails I notice I always get a slow running nose. I have always realted this problem to the angle I hold my head because I always have my head quite low down.

R u working in a well ventillated area?

"my room is quite big, though no ventilation apart from door to hallway open, I did open doors to garden a few weeks ago but forgot about draughts and got frosting on my nails !"

?? should I invest in a ventilation system of some sort ? if so any recommendations ?

kx

ALEX said:
Whenever I do nails I notice I always get a slow running nose. I have always realted this problem to the angle I hold my head because I always have my head quite low down.

R u working in a well ventillated area?

I only do some odd sets at home. If I do two sets on my freinds one after another I get a blinding headache.

I wondered if I was allergic to the products?

Mmm I do hope we get some other responces to this, Im not very experienced and hope someone who is may shed some light on it and put my mind at rest

kx

snoopdoggie said:
I only do some odd sets at home. If I do two sets on my freinds one after another I get a blinding headache.

I wondered if I was allergic to the products?

I got a portable ventalator from NSI. I don't exactly know how effective it is but I feel better for using it. If you want to get a catalogue from them ther no. is 0500131009.

How are u with dust? Apparently this can cause more problems than the acrylic smell!

could dust do this ??

that was my other thought ?!! though I have no idea, hense the post, however I do think a ventilator is a good investment anyway
thank you

kx

ALEX said:
I got a portable ventalator from NSI. I don't exactly know how effective it is but I feel better for using it. If you want to get a catalogue from them ther no. is 0500131009.

How are u with dust? Apparently this can cause more problems than the acrylic smell!

Whats the problem with the dust?

Is the dust harmful? I did notice it seems to cover every beeping surface in the downstairs even after one set of nails!
I know the remover I use acetone is quite lethal but if I have to soak off I make them do it in the conservatory with the doors open.

Just done a search on "dust" and a number of threads came up, one of which is from GMG, headed Frosty the dust man

you should check this out ...

kx
snoopdoggie said:
Whats the problem with the dust?

Is the dust harmful? I did notice it seems to cover every beeping surface in the downstairs even after one set of nails!
I know the remover I use acetone is quite lethal but if I have to soak off I make them do it in the conservatory with the doors open.

I was having terrible trouble with a blocked up dose all the time, but since my hubby has put an extractor fan in my table which takes all dust and smells outside, I don't seem to have had a problem. I have spoken to one or two other techs and they all agree that the monomer odour tends to do things to your tubes.

have also just found this on ventilation thread :

There are many other ways to minimize vapour odour along with a good extraction ventillation system. Some of these are listed below.

1. Never wipe your brush on your towel as a matter of habit. Use a lint free gauze pad that is preferably damp with sanitizer (this draws the fluid into the pad and helps to neutralize the vapour.

2. Always store waste in a METAL bin with a lid. This can reduce odour by 70% immediately.

3. Always keep your dappen dish covered (when not in use) and preferably use a glass one.

4. Use only small amounts of monomer in the dish and when used up, add more. Try to time this well so that at the end of the day, you are not throwing away excess expensve monomer.

5. Always transfer monomer to the dappen dish using a pipette. If you pour it from the bottle you are likely to spillage and excess odour.

These are just a few 'good housekeeping' habits which will go a long way to reducing odour in the salon.

dust info and this, are these the answers ? confused. is my sinus prob connected to dust / vapour ??

as before Im going to invest in a ventilation system of some sort, will check out previous threads, I do also shape with product rather than file to shape to reduce dust

kx

thanks kim.

Kim said:
I was having terrible trouble with a blocked up dose all the time, but since my hubby has put an extractor fan in my table which takes all dust and smells outside, I don't seem to have had a problem. I have spoken to one or two other techs and they all agree that the monomer odour tends to do things to your tubes.

they all agree that the monomer odour tends to do things to your tubes.....

funny how much we women will put up with.

My husband can't beleive that I work with products that smell and are so dangerous.

He works with solvents at work and they all have to togged up with masks and stuff.....

if they have a spillage they all go out!

I think I enjoy a small smell and I even get off on it...just a little.

Hi you can buy a fuminator for your desk to ask natural nails about it, she has one and swears by it, a desk extractor is a must

Hi

I found my nose quick clogged since i've been using l&p but i,ve just bought a desk with a distractor in it so i hope this helps. I also find people come into the salon and say they can smell the l&p that i'm using although i don't really smell it any more - i think its what you get used to.

Shelley

can't get the hang of this, hope this one works.

I was suffering really badly with dermatitus and frequent headaches and then I got a dry cough.

Found a load of info. on the web. Really good site by a Dr Baumann, http://www.dr-baumann.com/english/home.htm

Anyways with the help of my Doctor I proved it was my L & P stuff.

Moved to a real gel and hey presto all cleared up.

Its got to be a no smell one that doesn't soak off.

Hey Snoopdoggie and Delboy... how come you guys are posting from the same computer? Sitting on each others laps?

I would be shocked if you were overexposing yourself to monomer vapours as the average vapour levels of monomer in an unventilated salon are 100-200 times below safety threshold values.

The problem is with the dust. Any dust is harmful to breathe as your lungs were not designed to take in dust. Most dust is caught by our natural defenses and expelled (coughing, sneezing, runny nose).
What you need to do is invest in proper extraction ventilation to expell the dust from your breathing zone and expell it outside.

Check out this article on the subject -> http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=3623

Also remember that any system causes dust.

Hope this helps

Hi, i am also quite new to this and have found that if i forget to open a window i do tend to get quite a strong headache and my nose gets a little blocked. If the window is open and i'm situated near it i find it doesn't effect me. Good uck with finding the answer hope this helps, talented talons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back