Sister wants Chocolate brown

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulette

Reaction score
Hi All
My sister is coming to me in a few weeks for me to do her colour, she currently has a dark brown base colour she is natural 4 and has a panel of blonde around the front and sides, Ive no problem with that but Im just not too sure what colour to put on as she has no clue what her last hairdresser used. I know it was wella and Im thinking about using a colour touch /71 an ash, as she doesnt want any warmth/gold. Can anyone advise me either in the kolleston perfect range or colour touch? I havent really used ash before on any of my clients as I only have a few these days and they are mostly lighter.
Does anyone use a mix to create a lovely choc brown using wella? Please advise thanks

I cant help you with wella but matrix do a lovely chocolate brown under there mocha colours ( 5M for example)

sorry cant help bit more!

xx

/71 should be okay - but chocolate brown does have a little warmth to it anyway - the 7 in wella is warmbrunette - not gold not red but it is still warm -like chocolate brown - just let your sister know this

Will do, thanks for that. Do you reckon I should mix it with something else or use it alone?

Hi Paulette , the 7/0 in colour touch goes a nice chocolatey colour and doesnt have too much warmth in it , so I would go for this one rather than the 7/1
because the 7/1 is just a plain ash brown , and not really a choccy colour ,

it may be better to use the 7/0 with the colour touch normal lotion or 1.9% colour releaser
as the 4% intense lotion will make the hair kick up more warmth at the root area
which your sister doesn't really want

Ps, also with your sister being a level 4 a level 7/0 wouldn't make a great difference anyway ,
so perhaps she could pick a choccy colour from the darker range in colour touch ,

a darker level with warmth may be nicer let her have a look at the chart hth :hug:

Last edited:
Hi Paulette , the 7/0 in colour touch goes a nice chocolatey colour and doesnt have too much warmth in it , so I would go for this one rather than the 7/1
because the 7/1 is just a plain ash brown , and not really a choccy colour ,

I would use the 7/0 with the colour touch normal lotion or 1.9% colour releaser
as the 4% intense lotion will make the hair kick up more warmth at the root area
which your sister doesn't really want hth :hug:

Excellent then Ill try that one I had said to her Id prob go for colour touch. so 7/0 colour touch with the colour touch developer. Whats the "normal" lotion I only thought they did developer in either 1.9% or 4%?
thanks Minky x

Hi Paulette , the colour touch lotion 1.9% should be fine ,
this is the just the normal colour touch lotion ,

the colour touch intense is the stronger one at 4% .

you say your sisters hair is a level 4 ?
if so a 7/0 wont make much difference really.

Therefore she could choose an even darker level with more warmth in it from the colour touch chart

I think you are right to use colour touch rather than tint as it is far better for the hairs condition
espesially with it being long , and it adds a lovely sheen :hug:

Hi Paulette , the colour touch lotion 1.9% should be fine ,
this is the just the normal colour touch lotion ,

the colour touch intense is the stronger one at 4% .

you say your sisters hair is a level 4 ?
if so a 7/0 wont make much difference really.

Therefore she could choose an even darker level with more warmth in it from the colour touch chart

I think you are right to use colour touch rather than tint as it is far better for the hairs condition
espesially with it being long , and it adds a lovely sheen :hug:

yes I was thinking a 7/0 perhaps was a little light although saying that I remember my past experience with Colour touch and I would be tempted to use a lighter than her base anyway prob a 6 or a 5. My sister is great although she knows what she wants!! family are the worst arent they. But I have said we are just going to have to just choose what I think we can always change it next time. I dont think she will be unhappy with whatever I do but I just think shed prefer not to have much warmth in her hair this time.

Hiya Paulette, I know exactly what you mean with families lol x
so with this being long hair ,
I would take some test cuttings from your sisters hair it will only take 20 mins, and test with three colours that she likes from the chart,
then she will be able to see exactly what she is getting ,

plus if there is any grab on the ends you will then be aware to lighten the base shade for the mid lengths and ends area ,

eg if say she had a 6 on the root then it may only need a 7 on the mid lengths and ends if it grabs ,

I love colour touch but if someone has bleach or a lot of tint in the ends of the hair previously it can grab easily

so test pieces are great on on longer hair , good luck :hug:

hiya
id day choc brown is defo a warm colour, i wouldnt describe 7/1 as choc brown as it is a cool colour. also, i persona;;y think 7/0 can be quite flat, although thats just my opinion! ;)
when people ask me for choc brown i use 5/37+5/75+5/0 as this is a rich choc brown. if she doesnt want any warmth in it i would say this isnt asking for choc brown.
a good cool brown is 30ml 5/77+10cm 0/88 6% as this is described as minstrel choc but has no red in and looks fantastic. it would look good on a 4 base as well as your sister is. colour touch is better for conditon of hair but if going for this mix i would use koleston as it lasts longer and stil gives a gorgeous shine!

Thanks for your help, Ive just had my sister on the phone saying she really doesnt like her hair right now, as I thought when I saw her in the week right after she had, had it done....
The blonde panel in the front is too thick so Ill have to re colour half of it back to dark and now wait for this one.... the colour brown she has on it is too dark.... my nightmare as I only saw her briefly Ill have to take a closer look before I decide what to do.
I think I may have to use a colour reductor on the brown to lift it out and maybe try a lighter colour on it after.
she is saying now that because the blonde is so chunky the brown just doesnt look right as its so dark.
I think probably yes to that one but she got what she had asked for from her hairdresser, now i have the task of lightening the brown and I have said a warmer brown/lighter would be better tbh.
families eh!

Hi paulette, will you let us know how it all goes ? :hug: x

right well tonight I decided to colour back to brown the huge panel of blonde she had, not all of it but about half. I repigmented it first then applied a 6/0, its come out perfect and not a bad match to the rest of her hair. I have said that I dont want to lighten the rest which is the brown, as it is only freshly done and it will lighten as all previous times it has done (this was done by her previous hairdresser).
The rest of the blonde that was in her hair at the front I used magma 89 over the top of it just for a little while just to take it up to a more pastel blonde as it was a bit orangy previously, the slight toner in the 89 (not the +) was just enough and it looks way better now.
She is very pleased and so am I that I could make it look better for her.
Now for next time I will use magma 89+ on roots of the blonde sections and a colour touch brunette for the back. I have seen that Wella have a new Colour touch range out with lovely brunette shades.

Latest posts

Back