ski jump nails ever be normal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niksaki

Reaction score
I have ski jump nails and wondering do they ever go to being normal nails? or am i stuck with them for life? i am getting sick of retipping all the time when they grow out and start sloping upwards lol hope this makes sense to you? also are they caused by biting? as i have always bitten my nails until about 3 years ago..

I have a client who has been having acrylic tips for about a year now. Her nails were originally badly bitten and when she managed to grow them they used to turn upwards (ski jump) gradually the nails seem to be growing straight and she now just has overlays (P&W) on them. She still has the odd accident! and loses one but if we put a clear tip on it seems to encourage the nail to grow straight. Be patient yours may sort themselves out in time.

Is it possible to do a NNO on a ski jumper with success? I have my only client with gels that is a ski jumper. Last night she came in and she had two fingernails that were discoloured. ALL nails were lifted,I had to file them all down and do a NNO over them. She's been wearing gels for some time now without many problems and now this!

When her nails are short then the ski jump look isn't as noticeable.

aj

I find with ski jump nails that its best to remove all of the free edge and tip them....then after a few visits...i remove and tip them again...cos as the natural nail grows its just gonna grow the same way...ski jump.

I would never do a NNO on a ski nail unless they where very short so as it wasn't as noticeable.

I find with ski jump nails that its best to remove all of the free edge and tip them....then after a few visits...i remove and tip them again...cos as the natural nail grows its just gonna grow the same way...ski jump.

I would never do a NNO on a ski nail unless they where very short so as it wasn't as noticeable.

I agree Angie.

Problem nails like ski jump nails can be made beautiful with enhancements....but only if you cut them off!!!
Cut off the free edge...then I normally tip & overlay.
The rigidity and weight of the enhancement will help the nail to grow straight.
However when the enhancement/product is removed the nails will revert back to their normal growth pattern.

Like you Angie I would not put an NNO on a ski jump nails....My job is to enhance....and an NNO will not really enhance the nail will it?

As for the original question.....no they will never be normal naturally this is just how your nails grow!

I myself used to bite my nails up to my armpits and they were ski jump and flared.
I have found that by using full well tips to begin with that i have managed to train my nails to grow virtually straight now and very little flaring either. This does take time, but if you look after them then you will be surprised at how much they improve.

I think it is a common thing for a nail biter to have ski jump nails because of the fact you get the bulbous bit at the end of your finger, so your nails have to grow ski jump to get over this don't they?

I have also notice that my nail beds are gradually getting longer too. This does take a year or so to happen though.

Thanks ladies, wow i almost forgot about this thread until i was looking at my nails today wishing they wernt skiing ha ha ha ha
anyhoo good to know im not the only one, also on the subject of nail beds..do they really eventually elongate? (sp?)
thanks nic

They do get longer, but it takes a long time for this to happen. I think mine have taken about 2 years for the nail bed to extend by about 5 mm. The more you look after them and oil them regularly, then the better they will get.

Good things come to those who wait.:)

you need to think about why they ski jump. If you bite your nails you end up with a pad or ball at the end of your finger that distorts the way that your nails grows, so never get a biter to grow any length before you apply an extension. When you do apply the pressure of the extensions will push the pad back and prevent ski jump nails. It is very hard to change this once it has happened unless you can take the free edge back to the point of bend and this is not always possible.

I agree Angie.

Problem nails like ski jump nails can be made beautiful with enhancements....but only if you cut them off!!!
Cut off the free edge...then I normally tip & overlay.
The rigidity and weight of the enhancement will help the nail to grow straight.
However when the enhancement/product is removed the nails will revert back to their normal growth pattern.

Like you Angie I would not put an NNO on a ski jump nails....My job is to enhance....and an NNO will not really enhance the nail will it?

As for the original question.....no they will never be normal naturally this is just how your nails grow!
I had a client with really badly bitten stumps which we tenderly nurtured. Her nails grew out into ski jumps eventually and she has done very well with NNO's for a couple of years now. Her nails are not that short either. She is not my client anymore because I don't use the gel anymore but she is a friend so I still see her. She is as pleased as punch and her NNO's always look gorgeous.

Perhaps she is the exception to the rule?

I just had a client with very pronounced ski jump nails. She had tips on them from her last tech because they were a new set and she didn't sculpt them. Client says that she only gets tips on her first set then after that it's just regular fills. I have never had to do these types of nails before and I fully understand why it is a good idea to tip them and keep them short. However, I hope what I did was ok. I basically did a regular fill except I added more gel to the stress area where the nail is "hollowed in". This created a more natural looking almond shaped nail. She seemed satisfied as it looked as if she didn't have a ski jump anymore. She was surprised as no one had ever done her nails to 'camoflague' the problem before. I hope that this will work. I told her to phone me if she had any problems.

If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions I would appreciate this. It sounds like her nails grow fast and she needs a fill at every 3 weeks.

Thanks.

One of the main problems I have found with ski jump nails is that as they start to grow, they pocket lift as the way the free edge grows (upwards) they pull away from the product....I do have to replace these nails quite regularly.

Thanks ladies, wow i almost forgot about this thread until i was looking at my nails today wishing they wernt skiing ha ha ha ha
anyhoo good to know im not the only one, also on the subject of nail beds..do they really eventually elongate? (sp?)
thanks nic
Just putting it out there sky slope nails can be a sign of an iron deficiency 😉 your not the only one x

Latest posts

Back