ski jump nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eroom

Reaction score
Please, please,help :cry:

Been doing nails since sept 03 (creative trained l&p) so very new to it all,

I have a few clients and all seem very happy, I know I have a long way to go but I am very pleased with the nails I am producing.

The problem is one of my clients has ski jump nails :twisted: which i first started to apply p/w but within days she was returning -they were in a terrible state tips missing/lifting, before you all think - ah too long, they are very short as she wears contact lenses OR improper prep- I have it engraved on my brain.

My client admits that she isnt following my advice on after care (too busy, she's retired ):| which doesn't help.

Any way I went on to apply p/w overlays but again- lifting and it's taking me a lifetime to get through the acrylic, its like a bloody valley.

I did feel like giving up, but its a problem i will solve. but she also has to do her part!!

Have all you wise techs got any advice.

Ski jump nails are a challenge for many reasons.

1. Often the skijump type of nail is accompanied by
2. very moist and clammy hands - is this your lady? T
These very moist hands plus a nailplate that is growing contrary to nature is a BAD combination and they often do not make good wearers of nail enahncements as
3. the moisture content of their nails builds up beneath the product much more than with ordinary nails. This leads to lifting very quickly.

If the probelm is just the skijump shape then there are some tricks to help but still the client has to have the nails renewed more often because the nail keeps growing upwards!! She should be told this.

HOW TO:
Remove as much free edge as you possibly can prior to application. Then sculpt with the form apllied in a slight downward curve. OR

Alternitively you can use a tip, but you need to hold the tip at a downward angle and use a thick adhesive (like GelBond) to fill in the gap and not lower the tip directly onto the nail (or the tip will follow the nail shape and ski as well).

Alternitively take her as your model to a Creative Master Class to be shown how to do it. A great model for your NVQ portfolio too!!

NOT EVERY CLIENT IS SUITABLE TO WEAR NAIL ENAHNCEMENTS NO MATTER HOW GOOD YOU ARE.

Thanks geeg :green:

Thanks for a quick reply, The first time i applied enhancements to my client it was using the tip method but she came back time after time with chunks missing, thats why i opted to sculpt them.

Prior to having l&p, she was having silk wrap at another salon but didn't like the look, are they better for her type of nail!!

It does sound like this lady is excessively hard on her nails !! chunks missing etc.!! :lol: Really it sounds like she really doesn't care for them.

I wouldn't say that FG would be the better option generally. There are some fg systems with which you CAN build in shape (The Fabric# system for instance) but with most fg systems it is very time consuming to do so.

I would opt for L&P or Gel myself. Does she have the clammy hand syndrome?It is a very significant factor if she does. Another factor is that ski jump nails tend to be thinner and have more movement.

I think I should take her with me for a 1-2-1, she may then realise that im trying to help her, she may then try and look after them a little better.

Geeg you are so right about the clammy hand and thin nails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back