Ski Jump toenails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazylove

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, and only joined to ask about the shape of both my big toenails, which after researching on Google, I am lead to believe they are 'ski jump' nails.

Both my big toenails seem narrow at the bottom, and get wider as they grow out. When looking in the mirror at them, they look as if they are slanting upwards, or flicking. They have been this shape for as long as I can remember, and a lot of people have commented on them since childhood.

I have had acrylic tips put on my big toenails many times, but every nail tech I ask about the shape of my toenails has not been able to offer a solution.

I would like to find out why my nails are like this, and if there is any way to make them straight and not flicking upwards.

If anyone here is a nail tech who would know what to do with this problem, I would definitely be interested in sorting it out, so please let me know how much you charge for this.

Thanks,

M.White

Your genes Are your genes, and one of your parents or grandparents will have, or would have had a similar shape as nail shape is directly inherited from your family gene pool.

Nothing you can do about it I'm afraid, other than keep short which minimises the upward slope of the Neil plate. None of us is perfect!

OMG I thought it was just me who had this but it's my finger nails lol. Like yourself I've had this forever and have had comments when I used to go for manis but I've come to terms with it. My fingertips are also like this. Basically I have the most horrid hands, I have piano fingers and ski jump finger nails lol. God wanted me to stand out from the rest.

I am "special" :) xx

My fingernails are like this too. The only way I can combat it is to apply a tip and then create an apex with l&p. I have to "cheat" the tip slightly so that it is angled more than it should be to give a base shape.
My mums nails are exactly the same but she has beautiful toenails. My dad has fingernails that any woman would kill for but shocking toenails... I received the worst bits from each... Sods law hey! xx

I have a client with Ski-Jump fingernails...

I also had a lady the other day with Ski-Jump toenails (which were a nightmare to polish as it was as if they were forced into the toes, with skin surrounding VERY tightly). I'm led to believe it is FAIRLY common, it's just you don't tend to look at other people's feet closely enough to notice!

It is genes :( Like how I have to accept I have decent toenails, but horrid flexible/brittle fingernails... thanks mum/dad ;)

As geeg said, keeping them short makes them look less Ski-Jump. You're fine, hun :)

xx

My little toes are like this ( only my little toes for some reason and my mums are too , although hers are flat now she just let them grow and left them alone and the grow flat now :s I tried doing the same but it didn't work for me :( they are an absolute nightmare to paint as mentioned above i have to paint my skin to make it look like iv got a toe nail as mine grow pretty much vertically

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, and only joined to ask about the shape of both my big toenails, which after researching on Google, I am lead to believe they are 'ski jump' nails.

Both my big toenails seem narrow at the bottom, and get wider as they grow out. When looking in the mirror at them, they look as if they are slanting upwards, or flicking. They have been this shape for as long as I can remember, and a lot of people have commented on them since childhood.

I have had acrylic tips put on my big toenails many times, but every nail tech I ask about the shape of my toenails has not been able to offer a solution.

I would like to find out why my nails are like this, and if there is any way to make them straight and not flicking upwards.

If anyone here is a nail tech who would know what to do with this problem, I would definitely be interested in sorting it out, so please let me know how much you charge for this.

Thanks,

M.White

Hi
It sounds like to me that you have fan shape nails as well, as you said they are narrow at the bottom and get wider, you have sski jump nails as well. I have a few clients that have nails just like that. I have heard that if you have ingrown toenails the best way to stop this is to put acrylic over the top a bit thicker, this stops the nails growing into the sides of the skin and encourages them to grow forwards (this is what I have seen on here) so maybe if you sculpt big toes so they have the right shape it might encourgage them to grow different. This is just an idea, I dont really know if this works though but would be worth a try, prob will take a few months though. x

Latest posts

Back