Skin around fingernail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikehextall

Reaction score
Hi

I have had a problem with dry and cracked skin around my finger nail for years and im hoping someone can help. I have chewed my nail and skin around the nail all my life and have probably caused it myself, I find myself chewing it whenever it gets really dry and cracked. Is there any cure or way to get rid of it or improve it. I have attached a picture but its not great, If anyone can help I will take some more pictures to show you what the problem is.

Attachments

• Photo on 16-06-2012 at 21.54.jpg
    Photo on 16-06-2012 at 21.54.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,344
hi
sounds like you are stuck in a circle.
the skin gets hard , you chew it off, the skin grows back a bit thicker to try and protect itself. you pick/chew it and on it goes.

see if you can get a bottle of solar oil and massage it into the area a couple of times a day.

this oil is super to help nourish, heal and soften roughened skin but you do have to play your part and leave it alone.

you will be able to buy the oil in an CND approved salon. you might see some with 'shellac' advertised in their window, they should have it.

if it is very red and inflamed you could try steeping it in a little salt and water solution a few times but if that doesn't help you may need to let your GP have a look at it.

good luck

hi
sounds like you are stuck in a circle.
the skin gets hard , you chew it off, the skin grows back a bit thicker to try and protect itself. you pick/chew it and on it goes.

see if you can get a bottle of solar oil and massage it into the area a couple of times a day.

this oil is super to help nourish, heal and soften roughened skin but you do have to play your part and leave it alone.

you will be able to buy the oil in an CND approved salon. you might see some with 'shellac' advertised in their window, they should have it.

if it is very red and inflamed you could try steeping it in a little salt and water solution a few times but if that doesn't help you may need to let your GP have a look at it.

good luck

Thanks for your reply, I have tried Solar Oil and it softens it for a short while but doesnt seem to do anything after then just goes hard and cracked again. Any other suggestions?

What about CND rejuvinator? That's supposed to be for people like yourself.

It helps the skins ability to repair itself.

Not used it myself..but that's supposedly what it's for..worth a go.

Thanks for your reply, I have tried Solar Oil and it softens it for a short while but doesnt seem to do anything after then just goes hard and cracked again. Any other suggestions?

Were /are you using it RELIGIOUSLY? At least twice daily. It really is a miracle product and needs to be used continuously for the best results.
x

i think if you've had this habit for a few years it will take a good while to resolve it . keep at the solar oil and see how you go.

Can we see more close up pics. It looks like there may be more than just dry skin going on.. There is some rippling on the plate the could be either from the constant abuse or possibly something else

Regarding the surrounding skin - having it in your mouth is dramatically adding to the damage. Saliva will dehydrate the skin causing it to damage further.

It will take a very long time for this to improve - months of constant treatment with solar oil/barrier creams AND keeping it out of your mouth...

More detailed photos will help for a more specific answer

Thanks for all the replys, I used the Solar Oil twice a day for a week and it didnt seem to be doing anything so I stopped.

I have attached a better picture of the offending finger.

Attachments

• IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 2,925
ouch! bless ya! i would say use solar oil as well but im biased and im in love with it! lol:D

Thanks for all the replys, I used the Solar Oil twice a day for a week and it didnt seem to be doing anything so I stopped.

Using Solar Oil for a week then stopping isn't going to help you need to be using it for months to get the best result.
You should also use Cuticle Eraser along with the Solar Oil this forms a 'Moisture Pack' which helps prevent cuticle build-up and conditions skin and prevents hangnails.

All of your fingers look like it? I would go and see a doctor, picture is blurred but from what I see it can be also viral infection. I have seen someting similar a few times, it was hpv virus, didn't look like warts as we know them, so people were totally unaware that something is going on.
And one week using solar oil is not enough after years of abuse ;). Use oil, but go get your fingers checked.

I agree with Kasik, you need to see your GP about your finger. To me it looks like a wart, my daughter had one and the only way to get rid is to have them frozen, its not painful just a little uncomfortable.

I also agree with kasik. There does appear to be at least a viral infection. But the damage to plate and surrounding skin is highly suspicious of another condition/ infection. My guess is the viral area is a secondary infection through damaged skin from something else...

Below is a link to an article I did about warts (HPV virus)
Science topic: warts

I would strongly urge a doctors opinion to establish the primary problem before the damage becomes more severe ...

Last edited:
I think we could all speculate and diagnose but I would suggest a docs appointment and take it from there.

Alot of things can look like something and be completely the opposit to what was originally thought.

The only way you will get a definitive answer is by going to the doctors hun.XX

Although you do appear to have some sort of viral thing going on there too, the general cycle of cracking, biting, drying and repicking sounds exactly like my own lifetime of dermatophagia (look it up if you didn't already, you'll have an enlightening moment!)

Luckily I didn't have any infections involved, it was just a lifetime of mechanical damage. It took me about 5 months of hard work to really reach a stage where I was confident I had broken the cycle.

The first thing you need to do is practice self awareness techniques (mindfulness) in order to gain a concious awareness of your habit, until you notice it happening you can't intervene till the damage is already done.

Then you need to replace the negative habit with a positive habit, every time I noticed myself doing it (I picked more with my fingers than mouth) I would stop and apply moisturiser, by all means turn it into an obsession with moisturising!
I spent the first month or so using germolene as my finger moisturiser, because it's so thick and with it's mending properties.
Then I moved to using E45, I was literally putting it on 15-20 times per day and putting it on under latex gloves at night (if you can stand it!).

Now using Solar oil a few times per day as well as E45 4-5 times per day :D

Good luck at your GP!

Hi Guys

Some of you may remember my previous posts not so long ago about my rather sore finger well after much trying and other things on my mind (such as getting married) my finger didnt really get any better until I did something by accident one day and oh my god look at the difference now, my finger was as Picture one up until about 10 days ago and then look at picture two, after youve had chance to look at the pictures I will tell you what I did by accident to get it to how it is on picture two and its getting better day by day.

Attachments

• Finger1.jpg
    Finger1.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Finger2.JPG
    Finger2.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 53
intrigued. go on , do tell

Much better - what have you started doing differently?

I havent started doing anything, I was outside fixing my lawnmower and was putting petrol in the tank, by accident i spilled petrol on my bad finger and it felt really soft and low and behold 10 days later the dry and cracked skin completely gone and finger healed back to normal, yes you heard me right it was just PETROL! No more soreness or ragged bits of skin just all gone, its like a miracle.

Latest posts

Back