Skin Cancer & Sunbeds

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim@Talontastic

Reaction score
Hi,

As a person recovering from skin cancer I wondered if sunbeds were still as popular as before.

I used to go on 6 times a week, some days I used to go on twice just at differant salons from being 14/15. Now looking back I must have been mad, but i'd give anything anything to go on again.

Not really sure where I'm going with this guess I just wondered if they were still as popular.

Kim

Hi,

As a person recovering from skin cancer I wondered if sunbeds were still as popular as before.

I used to go on 6 times a week, some days I used to go on twice just at differant salons from being 14/15. Now looking back I must have been mad, but i'd give anything anything to go on again.

Not really sure where I'm going with this guess I just wondered if they were still as popular.

Kim
I'm not qualified to say whether it would be safe for you to go back on the sunbed or not.:hug:

I would imagine that your GP would say it would be better for you if you did not go on - but then again what did the hospital recommend about sunbathing?

I'd check out what the doctors say and then you can make a choise based on the medical information - but I know what you mean about the sunbeds - I love going on them :hug:

Love n snuggs Deb xx

hiya...sorry to hear you have had skin cancer and i hope your getting better...personally if it was me, i wouldn't go on one again. You have admitted to over using them and although i am sure you wouldn't do that again...its really not worth the risk...get a spray tan or from a bottle.

A friend of mine had skin cancer and was told by her doc that under no circumstances was she to use a sun-bed again...and to slap that sun protection on.

My dad has had cancer from fags....he quit the day he was diagnosed...he'd love a drag and misses them so much...but he will never have one again.

Its just not worth it babes...xxx

i've never really seen the attraction of sunbeds myself, other than giving you cancer, they really age your skin. Why do people want to risk cancer and looking old and crinkly before thier time??:confused: I guess the same reason people smoke, they don't think it will happen to them. Fake tan is so much safer. You have been lucky enough to beat cancer, don't risk it all over again!!

ahh bless you!

i used to use them a far bit about 3 years ago...i did stop tho as i wanted to go on them more and more..

i was always scared that i would be the unlucky one.

ive never been on one since but was only talking to a mate today about going on again.

freaky dont think i'll bither now.x

if i were you i would stay well away.

but its your call hun.

good thread!!

Hi Kim,

I was a tan a holic a few years a go, I used to go on 3 times a week for 12 mins with cream as I'm so pale naturally I had to, in order to keep the tan. My friend (although not diagnoised) had tan arexia (god my spelling is awful today:eek: ) she had a sun bed at home used that twice a day, and then went for a tan stand 4 times a week to tango'd ! she had the perfect skin for tanning and probably only needed 1 a fornight!

I havent used a tan stan/sun bed for about 3 years now stick to the fake tan even though it is a total pain in the bum sometimes.....

Hope your better soon :hug: xxxx

I used to have solariums in my previous salon and used them whenever I wanted 3-4 times a week, but after having 2 cancers burnt off and another medically treated, I gave up using them myself and felt bad about anyone else using them. It's a bit like Russian Roulette I think.

I'm going by what i saw at excel yesterday and if that is representative of the way the industry is going then yes, i'd say it's popularity is decreasing. Most of the stalls were about spray tanning and i think fake tanning is getting better and better and so if i can avoid skin cancer i will. Thank you very much!!

Cant believe what i used to do to myself.I spent the entire 80s dark brown,and i couldn't plead ignorance because the sunbed company did have guidelines.I would come in before work almost every morning lay on the bed and read the paper:eek: .I knew it would age my skin but thought well when im in my 40s it wont matter whether im wrinkly cause i'll be old and past it and i wont care,but of course you care. I dont go in the sun much now at all because im trying to reverse the accumulative effect.Fortunately i don't have the skin type that is predisposed to skin cancer but i do still worry about it and have had things checked out.

Ah finally some people who have some common sense about these machines and dont listen to all the crap about them being good for us and the downplaying of their serious risks!!

Many choose to ignore the warnings. Being from Australia i have seen friends suffer from harmful uv exposure while trying to tan and know someone who died from skin cancer that spread throughout his body weeks after being diagnosed as only having a melanoma and he was a regular solarium user but avoided the sun ....he was in his 30's

Thank god for fake tan

I would NEVER advocate sunbeds ....why oh why would one want to use them is beyond me...I agree with Ebony ...Fake tan is much better,use your spfs and you can STILL tan....Also a good tan accellerator that will stimulate your own melanin would make you tan quicker...
However for me i will remain pale and pasty as pasteurised milk wear a big hat and keep my spfs on....Of course its choice....but i want to choose the safer option!:lol:

Apart from sunbeds and fake tans - I really dont think the chocolate brown colour looks as sexy as it once did. A glow is so much more prettier and healthier looking.

One of our trainers had been addicted to sunbeds before she started using spray tanning and last year she had an awful shock as the mark on her face was diagnosed as cancerous and had surgery to remove it.

Thankfully she has made a ful recovery but never fully realised the danger of sunbeds.

You never think it will happen to you or those around you - but how wrong can you be.

:!: Stay safe and fake it :!:

Mandy x

My mum hasnt been abroad for 40+ years, never lies in the sun, and went on a sunbed a handful of times to get a little colour for a family wedding, and she got a small bit of skin cancer under her eyebrow which she had to have removed.

The surgeon told her to always slap on the sun cream whenever she is out, wear a hat in the sun, and never lie in the sun.

He said as a surgeon himself, and seeing what damage can be done by the sun, he never goes out without very high factor sun cream on, and always covers up.

Spray tanning is so good now, no streaks, natural colour, i dont think there is a need for sun beds.

I have just turned 25 and I used sun beds for years up till about 2 years ago and I hated not having a tan at 1st but I have now invested in some st tropez and vowed never to use the sun bed ever again

I still like to sun bathe on holiday but I wear a high factor and I still get decent tan just without all the skin damage, but It is hard to kick the habit.

Vicky X

I've never been one for spending a lot of time in the sun just to get a tan - too fidgety! And since having the children there always seems to be something else that I ought to be doing anyway!
Had a few sunbed sessions before my wedding, none apart from that. Always use fake tan. A bit laborious sometimes but once you find one that really suits you nobody can tell the difference anyway!
The skin cancer risks are very real, but as well as that, what's always bothered me is the wrinkles! (vain cow!)

I always maintained my base tan - over the years and was distraught when I returned to 100% mighty white - as I am so pale - I felt I would have to hammer the sun to get a colour again. Perhaps I was borderline tanorexic!!!!

Up until a few years ago almost all of my friends were regualrly using sunbeds. however, as fake tan has got more natural looking most now use that instead. So in answer to your question I do think they are much less popular than they were.

I hope you recover fully and good luck for the future x

Hello Kim

I am a newbie to the sit, i also used the sunbed way to much a few years back, and started to get patchy leg, did not start off that way and just got worse, so doctor told me to stop using them, i don't have any problems when i go on holiday, never really understood what was happening there!!!!
I don't think you should risk it, not when you have so many good products out there.

The creams you get to use before going on the sun beds.... do they filter out harmful rays? I know there are all sorts... i.e. ones with bronzers in and ones that accellerate the tan etc etc. If they do, then what is the harm in moderation?
btw, I am using a sun bed at the mo as I have little bit of excema that clears up after a few times under the beds ... only use 8 mins a week for 4 weeks at this time of year just to help heal really.
The shop I go in is PACKED out - from what I see in the high street... I think it is still very popular.

Latest posts

Back