Skin care

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cockle

Reaction score
Hey Everyone đź‘‹

just a personal question. I use sunbeds and love being at the beach, I only use them in the summer and it makes me face really greasy.
I know it’s a damage/protection response.
I don’t want to stop using the tanning beds as I feel better when I use them, but I break out on my chin and my face gets really shiny.

does anyone have any recommendations on what I can use to reduce sebum?

I currently use Neutrogena naturals purifying face cleanser. Then Garnier organic perfecting toner. Then a no7 face cream.
That’s pretty much my whole routine other than eye night cream sometimes. It doesn’t change winter or summer. (I’m 35)

Any advice greatly recieved xx

Most over the counter products don’t actually change skin because that would make them a medical product - your only getting the most superficial changes (next week”s skin a few days early) Using an astringent product to remove sebum will just irritate your skin and potentially make it sensitive. You could try witch hazel as a toner or orange flower water.

Vitamin A has a balancing effect on sebum levels. You can take it orally in supplements and apply it topically in products - many vitamin A products make your skin photosensitive so they are not recommended for sun bed users.

An Environ salon will be able to give you more specific advice in a face to face or virtual consultation. It’s best to see one near you if you want a professional facial. I’d also suggest a Jane Iredale mineral make up product as well. You might also like to try Skinade drinks. They do an A&D derma defence which is very popular.

I'd never recommend tanning beds to anyone. However, retinol might help you to keep sebum at bay while also conquering breakouts, as well as the signs of ageing you are adding to your skin! However, if you are to use retinol it is so important to use an SPF.

I second this comment; I would avoid using sunbeds and take an oral Vitamin D supplement to give you the same "good feeling". You can still expose your self to some sunlight, but at 35 it is so important to use a factor 50 spf.
This will avoid the extra sebum your skin is producing. If you want a glow, I would recommend St Tropez face Fake tan mist. It gives a beautiful colour and glow and has skin care benefits.
Your No 7 moisturiser may be too heavy for your skin type.
I would recommend something light and suitable for oily skin.

Sunbeds are banned in Australia due to "health risks".

Sunbeds are banned in Australia due to "health risks".
This is great news as not only are sunbeds ageing but they potentially lead to cancer.
I understand we all feel and look better with a bit of colour but in my opinion, sunbeds hold no place in the beauty industry and are a contradiction; You use sunbeds to look and feel good, which cause damage to your skin and then you need to repair that damaged skin.
Fake tan all the way or just embrace your beautiful pale skin!

Latest posts

Back