Skin darkening after waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeMcc

Reaction score
Hello

I wonder if anyone can help me. I had a client last week for a full leg wax. After the service I asked if she was happy and if there was any discomfort and she said she was happy and there was no discomfort. The next day she sent a photo of some red patches that looked like and alergic reaction. I advised her to look after the area and use aloe if there was any sorness. She said there was no soreness.

A few days later she said that the redness had gone down.

Today she has said that the one area of skin is now darker than the rest of her leg and she is coming to see me tomorrow.

The only thing I can think of is hyperpigmentation to the skin.

I completed a client consultation, prepped the skin before waxing, tested the heat of the wax on myslef and on the client. The temperature was fine (i use a low temp melting sensitive creme wax and have the pot on medium) I made the skin tight before taking off the strips. And I ended the treatment with after wax and then gave aftercare advice.

What could have caused this as I am lost for ideas. Please help.

Where does she fall in the Fitzpatrick scale? I generally warn clients who are a 4 or higher that hyperpigmentation is a risk.

I can only imagine that the wax pulled the skin on a particular spot and that has caused the pigmentation. It’s happened to me before when I waxed my bikini and didn’t stretch enough and the wax tugged abit when I removed it. Didn’t hurt at the time but showed a little superficial pigmentation for a few days afterwards but it will disappear and it is superficial. So if your client can exfoliate the area and keep it moisturised it will shift faster.

Oh and encourage her to use a high factor sun protection to prevent it becoming darker

I’d never heard of this happening before so I looked it up after reading on this thread.
There’s a link I found that explains why it can appear (skin trauma) and how it can be removed, but be cautious about telling your client about all of these methods (or showing her this article!) as she may expect you to pay for it!
https://www.eucerin.co.uk/skin-concerns/uneven-skin/hyperpigmentation

Latest posts

Back