Skin - dead layer, living layer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorrainelola

Reaction score
Is there a nice kind geek out there who could help me?

I think the dead layer of the skin is the horny layer but am I right in thinking the living layer is the granular layer? Or am I completely wrong and shall I just get my coat :confused:

The stratum germinativum & the stratum spinosum are the living layers of the epidermis x

Top layer of the skin is the stratum corneum which is the layer that sheds off. The bottom layer of the epidermis is the stratum basale (basal cell layer) this is where the cells divide and multiple and some basically move up to become the next layers of the skin. As the cells move up the layers they lose their nucleus (I think you are asking when do cells lose their nucleus? I think this is the graunulosum but just check on this before you go quoting!). Above the basale you have stratum spinosum, stratum granulosum, stratum lucidum (which is not in the skin in all areas of the body) finishing with corneum.

Hope this helps but I am trying to remember my university anatomy from 1998!

The above post is correct- the stratum germinativum and stratum spinosum are living, the stratum granulosum is transitional, most cells are dying, and if any granulosum cells do have a nucleus, it is too squashed to be able to divide (mitosis). Hth's x

Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated. x

Latest posts

Back