Skin Geek with Shellac questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bliss Tan

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am not a nail geek so I'm in need of a little help. I had shellac applied about 3 weeks ago and went back to the salon to have it removed and re-applied. The way they did it was with finger bowls containing acetone and then buffing once it had lifted.

My question is: when I want to remove it myself is soaking in acetone the best way and what sort of buffer do I need?

Any help gratefully received :hug:

The best way to remove Shellac is with the foil method or the specially designed remover wraps.

I use the Magifoils from Sweetsquared, soak the pad in acetone and then wrap the finger. Soak for 10 minutes or a bit longer if it has been on more than 2 weeks.

Then take an orangewood stick and gently scrape off any that is left on the nail - no buffing needed. If there is still colour on the nail, a quick wipe with some acetone on a pad will remove it.

Are you sure it was Shellac that you had applied? Shellac should be soaked off with a wrap and no need to buff, just use and orange wood stick to remove the flakes of shellac after they have been wrapped for 10 mins, and then use a plastic backed pad to scrub away any residue.
Not sure why the salon soaked you in a bowl of acetone to be honest. Or even why they buffed there is no need to buff it off if it is actually Shellac. That is one of the benefits of having Shellac no need to buff...
Removal is quick and easy with a acentone soaked pad secured to each nail and left for 10 mins for the acetone to break though a acetone dissolvable polymers.
HTHS
Jen xxx

Thanks for the replies girls :hug:

Yes, I am 100% that it is Shellac and no wraps were used. After they soaked my nails in acetone they used a block buffer of some sort to take off the flakes. There were lots of bumps left behind and tbh I can feel some of them now below the new application of Shellac.

Where can I get these Magifoils from if Im not a nail tech and roughly how much do they retail at?

Same as above I use nail wraps with little remover and just use orange wood stick to remove shellac. I then swipe with remover or little acetone get client to wash hands dab of solar oil on each nail plate massage in and perform PEP again.

xxx

Thanks for the replies girls :hug:

Yes, I am 100% that it is Shellac and no wraps were used. After they soaked my nails in acetone they used a block buffer of some sort to take off the flakes. There were lots of bumps left behind and tbh I can feel some of them now below the new application of Shellac.

Where can I get these Magifoils from if Im not a nail tech and roughly how much do they retail at?

You may find something similar at your wholesalers if you use one. Alternatively you could cut up some squares of foil and wrap a cotton pad.

You may find something similar at your wholesalers if you use one. Alternatively you could cut up some squares of foil and wrap a cotton pad.

Thank you all for your help and great suggestions :hug:

Hi,
I find it really hard to soak all of the shellac off the nails. i use the magic foil thingys from Sweet Squared (not the shellac ones, the foil ones) and once i've soaked for 10 mins and then start to scrape it off not all of it comes off. its as if it stains the nail :S i almost feel like telling my clients to pick it off themselves cos at least it would all come off lol

xxx

Try leaving the foils on for a couple of more minutes.

This is like soaking off enhancements - a lot of it depends on how thick our application has been, how long it has been on the nail. I know that my application when I first started was a bit on the thick side and it took longer to soak off.

Also I find sometimes that the acetone pad wasnt as damp as it should be.

These are all issues that I have rather than an issue with the product.

Even if there is some left on the nail, a quick wipe with acetone on a pad and it is gone.

Hi,
I find it really hard to soak all of the shellac off the nails. i use the magic foil thingys from Sweet Squared (not the shellac ones, the foil ones) and once i've soaked for 10 mins and then start to scrape it off not all of it comes off. its as if it stains the nail :S i almost feel like telling my clients to pick it off themselves cos at least it would all come off lol

xxx

I've found that putting hands/feet in heated mitts/booties has worked wonders for my removal. That and getting some good quality acetone - whatever I was using before just wasn't cutting it x

Acetone in a double dipper -3-5 mins will take Shellac off fine if you dont have Shellac wraps-do not buff- you will thin the natural nail and you dont want that.
If Shellac has been on the nails 3+ weeks it will take a couple of mins more to get the basecoat off too.

Some of us had to use Brisa as a base coat for Shellac, as the base coat was recalled here in Ireland.

I have had to buff the base coat off clients nails, which i have been very disappointed with..

Yes Marion you are right some basecoat was recalled in June and everyone got replacements.Thank fully they resolved that issue quickly.
You dont actually have to buff Brisa off if you are using it as a base for Shellac.

Yes the service from Creative here in Ireland has been fantastic. Its been a stressful time for everyone involved.

I understand about brisa not having to be buffed off for a re applying Shellac, but sometimes the surface is not left as smooth as it should be.

Anyway, it doesnt matter now, i have a new bottle of basecoat and im a happy bunny! Cant say the same for the clients that came back complaining, but i did my best with them and offered their money back.

I think that the salon I went to used a Bio Sculpture base coat. It was in a little black pot and they painted it on with a brush. Could this be why I've still got some 'lumps' under the new Shellac?

Latest posts

Back