Skin peeling on my fingers, help!?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNA

Reaction score
I took my L&P nails off about a week ago (might remember I posted to find out how often was okay to do this). Well I noticed a couple of days ago that my left thumb was peeling and today I was relacing my knee kigh boots and noticed afterwards ALL the fingers on my left hand are peeling really badly! It's not sore and my right hand is fine but I'm worried it might have been from the product remover?? I did the cotton woll/foil method using CND product remover.

What should I do?? I don't want to pick all the skin off but it looks awful and feels horrible too...

What have I done?? :cry:

peeling.jpg

Pop into a chemist and have a word with the pharmacist. Looks like you have had a reaction to the remover/acetone, whatever it was you used. xxx

I used CND Product Remover. It wasn't the first time I'd used it either...

What can the chemist do for me??

I've been applying solar oil to it since I noticed how bad it was but it doesn't seem to be helping... :(

Hi the same thing happened to me, it started on my thumb with a few little blisters then it just started to peel, not painful, it happened after I was applying nails on a friend so I am not sure what happened, I actually thought it was glue on my thumb at first, maybe it was a reaction to the glue, I don't know, but it has cleared up fine without any treatment and has not come back, sorry I could'nt tell you why it happened but I just thought I would let you know that it has happened to me aswell.
DNA said:
I used CND Product Remover. It wasn't the first time I'd used it either...

What can the chemist do for me??

I've been applying solar oil to it since I noticed how bad it was but it doesn't seem to be helping... :(

I've had a problem with the proseptic used for prepping the nails (a Professionails product). It could be your prepping solutioin? Just a suggestion.

it sounds like over exposure to something be it acetone, or monomer if it is isolated to just a few fingers then it could be monomer on your brush handle..if you have peeling on your left hand then you have come into contact with something for longer, i used to suffer only on my little finger that was my own fault and usind hap hazard techniques and draining monomer on a towel then leaning in it.......very wrong.
keep moisturising....solar butter is great and watch your working techniques a little closer to see what has caused the exposure
monomer, primers , removers shouldnt come in contact with the skin if they do then thats what will cause the skin peeling.
if your symptons worsen then maybe a prescription cream

As one that's suffered from a baby with skin allergies, I'd still say have a word with the pharmacist. As brilliant as Solar oil and Solar Butter is, you may need something medicated. I know some may say go and see a Derm but where are they and how much do they cost? You don't get many in England.

Whats the cotton wool and foil method? x

elfprincessem said:
Whats the cotton wool and foil method? x

It's when you soak cotton wool in acetone/product remover, wrap it around the nail on each finger, then you place silver foil over them to keep it on and it also builds up a bit of heat to help it along. The advantage to this is that you're not sitting with you hands in a bowl for ages. xx

Thanks for the great tip Kimmi! Never knew about that one x

The only thing those fingers had been in contact with was the CND product remover... So I'm guessing it was over exposure to that....

This morning it seems a lot better but if it gets worse again i'll see someone about it.

Next time I remove i'll be more careful with how long my skin is in contact with the remover...

I went to the chemist and she said it looked like either contact dermatitis or a chemical burn.. She recommended some cortisone cream and said if it didn't get better to see a doctor.
Hopefully it's my fault, maybe I left it on my nails too long... Be a bit of a problem if this happens everytime I remove my nails...

I've been too scared to remove the nail polish I have on and I still have natural nails, no enhancements... I'm not going to do anything until this all clears up!

Shellie, had you been practising doing your own nails with L&P? Just wondering if it's over exposure to the monomer. xxx

I there I am a pharmacist and a nail technician and I would have reccomended a 0.5% hydrocortisone cream as well. If this works it means you have had a contact dermatitis to the product remover. If it makes it worse it is not a contact dermatitis and will need a trip to the doctor who will probably try a skin specific antibiotic such as erythromycin. To avoid the dermatitis in the future coat the surrounding skin of your nails with vaseline and then apply the prodict remover very specifically with a cotton bud to the enhancement only and wrap in foil creasing the foil into the lateral folds and around the eponychium to avoid leakage - hope this helps

DNA said:
I went to the chemist and she said it looked like either contact dermatitis or a chemical burn.. She recommended some cortisone cream and said if it didn't get better to see a doctor.
Hopefully it's my fault, maybe I left it on my nails too long... Be a bit of a problem if this happens everytime I remove my nails...

I've been too scared to remove the nail polish I have on and I still have natural nails, no enhancements... I'm not going to do anything until this all clears up!

vlehndorf said:
I there I am a pharmacist and a nail technician and I would have reccomended a 0.5% hydrocortisone cream as well. If this works it means you have had a contact dermatitis to the product remover. If it makes it worse it is not a contact dermatitis and will need a trip to the doctor who will probably try a skin specific antibiotic such as erythromycin. To avoid the dermatitis in the future coat the surrounding skin of your nails with vaseline and then apply the prodict remover very specifically with a cotton bud to the enhancement only and wrap in foil creasing the foil into the lateral folds and around the eponychium to avoid leakage - hope this helps

How brilliant is that? A Pharmacist. Brilliant advice. xx

vlehndorf said:

Thank you :)
Yes that's exactly the cream I bought. She also told me about creams I can use as a barrier on my skin next time. I had already thought about vaseline and being careful where the remover goes.

Its so good to hear from a nail technician AND a pharmacist in one!!

I get something similar and have done for years - many many years before I was a nail tech so I know it's not over-exposure :D (It also mainly happens on my left hand but I'm right handed - go figure?!)

It doesn't hurt, it's not sore, and the skin kind of rolls off rather than coming off in sheets like sunburn peeling. The old skin looks a little yellow too like it's old and dead, and the skin underneath is all pink and healthy :D

It happens maybe once every six months then disappears again, and usually starts on the pad of my thumb with white patch which I pick then it kind of spreads, only on my fingers never down to the palm of my hand - I say to Husband that I'm shedding my skin like a snake again :lol:

I've never put any creams or anything on it either - if you get to the bottom of what it is, let me know, I'd be interested

Trin
xx

I kinda get the same thing sometimes - mine seems to peel off following the ridges of my fingerprints - weird or what? It's kind of in ribbons rather than large pieces, as if you have skinned yourself on some rough wood or bricks. Or something different is the skin peels away on the very tips of my fingers in a sheet away from the hyponichium. My friend gets that one too, and she works part time in a call centre so I'd doubt if it was anything contact related.
I have never quite worked out why, with me, too, it happened before I became a nail tech. It's a bit ugly and annoying but never painful and when it happens it's only for a day or two it seems, then it goes away again.

Latest posts

Back