Skin tearing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hev2304

Reaction score
A client of mine who I have been waxing every 5 weeks for over 6 months had a very instant and sore looking reaction to her treatment. After 24 hours it was obvious that the top layer of skin had torn away during the treatment. All products used were the same as have always been used and everything set to how it always has been. The only explanation I can find online is the use of retinol containing products that could affect the skin but my question is can these cream affect skin it hasn’t been used on as she uses the creams on her face but the skin has torn on her legs. Really confused as to why this has happened as she has never had this before and had been waxing for years.

Hi there,
Some retinol will get into the bloodstream via the skin , but it would need a dermatologist to say for sure if her cream is so potent to do this to her . I am sure that you will already know these things but what comes to my mind are :-
Pre period
Menopausal
Client with raised temperature , due to the heat. Or maybe begnning to develop a cold or flu .
Client , had recent sun exposure- Hard not to in this weather if we are lucky to be in the warmer side of the country, Or been on holiday and sunbathed.
Client on new medication , should be checked at the appointment anyway.
Sunbeds - make the skin papery and easier to damage.
I doubt you have done anything wrong, sometimes it really is just them and not you!!
Advise sudocrem and it should go away on it's own. I would patch test before the next session - say 48 hours before to demonstrate that you take her problem seriously and don't want a repeat .
A client with you for 5 years will trust you and it's hoped that it will be a one off.
Was it several patches or just one of torn skin?
Good luck

Thanks for the reply. Checked about medication before appointment and there was no change there, the client is in her 60s so menopause and periods are out of the equation. There is a chance of sun damage as she has been about in the sun but hasn’t had any recent sunburn or been sunbathing. She doesn’t use sun beds so it’s really stumped me for what could be the cause.
I’ve told her that we will do a small patch test before next appointment but as it was only certain patches it’s hard to say whether a patch test will give a clear indication of how all her skin will react.
I’ve read on some other forums about applying a small amount of oil to stop wax adhering to the skin but I was taught years ago to only use oil with stripless wax and that it would affect hair removal with strip wax. Going to give it a try on myself and see how it affects treatment. Have you tried the oil method before and can you give any advice with it?

No I have been waxing for 37 years and I was not trained to use oil so I don't. Just thought that her skin has probably become a little more thinner, I know mine is more delicate as I have aged. Sometimes an area of leg that is a bit chubbier can have a have a more unexpected removal - a less defined good rip off if you know what I mean. So very different to waxing over muscle or a firmer part of the leg. Could this be your reason ??
Was it very hot on the day too, as wax is not as easy in hot weather.
Your aim to get to the reason is just what it should be as you are very consiencious and caring. You may never have it happen to her again, could just be a bad combination of many factors, so good luck with your trial.

If you don't already do this, apply a decent amount of talc after cleansing and rub in well. Gives a protective layer between the wax and the skin. Also dries the skin if client is sweating in this hot weather.
Wax does stay stickier on humid days so do smaller patches if this is happening.

I am hoping that it is a one off and won’t happen again. It was rather hot on the day of waxing. The things that has confused me is that it’s not on the looser skin areas. The skin tears have happen on the calf area which tends to be the former part of the leg. With one of the areas being on the shin itself.

I am hoping that it is a one off and won’t happen again. It was rather hot on the day of waxing. The things that has confused me is that it’s not on the looser skin areas. The skin tears have happen on the calf area which tends to be the former part of the leg. With one of the areas being on the shin itself.

It is a bit of a mystery , but hopefully you will find the answer . It is rare to get a problem on the firmer areas of the leg. Loads of talc applied frequently to absord her sweat.. Good advice from CFBS , smaller patches too.
Don't overload the strip as well , use maybe 3 times with wax applied and then change to a fresh strip.
It could be just the hot weather,nothing more.
Good luck

I've had a client with weird lifting skin before - personally I think it can mostly be prevented with excellent pre-treatment prep. We told this client to moisturise and exfoliate more and haven't had a repetition. Also older ladies can get a bit dehydrated - it's amazing how much moisture we lose from the skin during the day in hot weather. Suggest she takes an oil supplement for general good health as well as making sure she's properly hydrated on her next appointment.

FYI. The principle of using oil is much the same as with talc - it just stops the wax sticking too enthusiastically. You only use a smidge, you can apply a drib of oil on a pad with some pre wax gel/lotion - or I use outback organics botanical oil which comes with a pump spray and you just lightly mist over the skin and tissue blot off any excess.

I rarely bother to oil legs though - only if I'm using a wax designed to apply over oil. Usually if skin looks a bit dry I add a bit of post wax lotion to my pre wax gel and rub that in well. I do this generously over chubby thighs.

Latest posts

Back