Skin tests advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavapoo13

Reaction score
Hi, Was wondering, are you doing skin tests on existing scalp application clients when we go back in July? I have seen on other web site that some stylists are. I was under the impression that skin tests were only done if the client hadn't had a scalp application for 6mths or had a different brand of colour. Very confused

I will be. I read in HJ a trichologist recommended it because clients may have had covid19 without realising and we can't be sure how their immune system will react to colour, even their regular formula. Similar to allergies that may occur after having an allergic reaction to a henna tattoo for example.

Most certainly will. They will be sent out to minimize contact.

It would be an idea to check with your insurance company if you intend to send a kit. I checked with mine (Salon Gold) & they do not recommend kits, only a skin test using the same formula you will be applying on the scalp I am mobile so will be doing this the end of June. It means driving to client homes, popping colour on the doorstep, they dip their own cotton bud in and I will watch them apply it. I'll ask them to sign a form with their own pen though. I'll pick the dish and form up once they shut the door. It will be a long winded process.

So I’m curious to find out what different brands expect in terms of skin testing after speaking to my insurance they said that some manufacturers say to test every time 48hrs before and some are every 6 months! I’d also like to know if anyone has insurance company’s the covers you if you test with colour start? Xx

Colour start is a pre made skin test but if you test with that your not actually testing with the product you will be applying therefore not adhering to manufacturing instruction but I do t see how a product can be on the market if there isn’t some insurance company somewhere that covers you for this?

Colour start is a pre made skin test but if you test with that your not actually testing with the product you will be applying therefore not adhering to manufacturing instruction but I do t see how a product can be on the market if there isn’t some insurance company somewhere that covers you for this?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/first-allergy-test-for-hair-dye-to-go-on-general-sale
Colourstart test patches are listed on the U.K. govt’s medicine pages as a non prescription medicine and now available for the general public to buy directly. They contain the common ingredients found in hair dye and state that their own insurance covers you if the client reacts to a professional colour after using one of their patches and it testing negative.

I haven’t used them since I moved to Ireland as they’re not sold over here, but I used to use them regularly when I lived in the U.K. and worked mobile. They’re very simple for clients to use.

Nowadays, I test with the brand of tint I’m using, but in a very dark shade, usually a 3 as that will contain more PPD or whatever chemical is used for creating the colour in the tint.

I am a freelance stylist and I have been having nightmares about how on earth I am going to get all my clients patch tested ready for the onslaught in July. I cover quite a large area, so my thoughts were....I am going to set up a table in the village where I live and ask all my clients to drive over between a certain time 5-7pm for example, I will mix the colour and they will dob on with a cotton bud in front of me...I will have stepped back from the table and away they go. I will get them to sign a patch test form when they have their colour to say that we have patched tested the way we did bla bla bla. I am happy to offer a couple of time slots on different days as that is so much better for me than driving round all over the place for hours! Obviously if a few people turn up at the same time they just stay in their car until the table is free. Loads of parking where I am thinking of doing it.

I am a freelance stylist and I have been having nightmares about how on earth I am going to get all my clients patch tested ready for the onslaught in July. I cover quite a large area, so my thoughts were....I am going to set up a table in the village where I live and ask all my clients to drive over between a certain time 5-7pm for example...

I like your thinking. How will that fit with doing the test 48 hours before the colour service, for all your clients? I think spreading it out and having a couple of sessions a week apart might work?

My biggest concern will be what have clients done to their hair during these last 4 months before we re-open? I’d probably do some strand tests and especially an incompatibility test if you’re at all suspicious of them doing a diy temporary job in the meantime. Reading other social media, people have shared some weird diy ‘treatments’ to keep the hair looking ok. :eek:

I’m planning on doing the patch test sessions the week before we are due to be allowed to start back, the clients will be told they are not allowed to put anything else chemical on their hair after the patch test so even if the test is done 3 weeks before I colour their hair it will be fine.

By getting the clients who are full head colours to come to me for a patch test I can also see their hair and suss out what they have done to avoid me going into cardiac arrest when they open the door to me once I’m allowed back! I can start formulating a plan from when I see them!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/first-allergy-test-for-hair-dye-to-go-on-general-sale
Colourstart test patches are listed on the U.K. govt’s medicine pages as a non prescription medicine and now available for the general public to buy directly. They contain the common ingredients found in hair dye and state that their own insurance covers you if the client reacts to a professional colour after using one of their patches and it testing negative.

I haven’t used them since I moved to Ireland as they’re not sold over here, but I used to use them regularly when I lived in the U.K. and worked mobile. They’re very simple for clients to use.

Nowadays, I test with the brand of tint I’m using, but in a very dark shade, usually a 3 as that will contain more PPD or whatever chemical is used for creating the colour in the tint.
Wow!!!! I did not know about this.
I do vaguely remeber years ago a patch test that could be sent but thought that it wasnt liked by most colour or insurance companies as it only tested for PPD, so therefore didn't give a comprehensive test result.

I wonder if that helps us with our current client base though, as we know they weren't having problems BC, but may have sensitivity now, if they have been ill, or very anxious.

One to ponder, thank you very much for the information.

Latest posts

Back