Sleep training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emilyx

Reaction score
Hey guys! So i am finally going to sleep train my son who is 1. I am nervous!

At the minute he sleeps 8 to 8 waking once through the night and i give him a drink of water. A couple of weeks ago he was ill with a virus and then got chicken pox on top of that and i always put him in bed with me when he is ill for my sake really. He's better now and i think this is the right time to get him to sleep through.

I have read loads on the internet and spoken to my health visitor and i think i am going to try the method where i stand outside the bedroom reassuring him i am there and not going in and picking him up. I do have mixed feelings about all of this, i think its harsh but then i think it might make him more independent and we will both have a better nights sleep!

I was wondering if any of you mums have any tips or advice for me? How did you get your little ones to sleep through in their own bed? I could really do with some as i need a bit more confidence in this whole sleep training thing! Thanks in advance X

I posted on here a while back about controlled crying. It was the best thing I ever did! It gets mixed reviews and although you feel awful and like a bad parent for letting them cry its for the good of everyone in your household - everyone needs a good nights sleep - most of all your little one! My little one used to sleep really well and then it all nose dived after a bout of illness and didn't improve so we used CC.

My little girl ramped right up to full on screaming when she realised that the first time she did it during CC I went rushing in thinking there was something wrong so she continued to do it - I stayed strong and she now sleeps 6 - 7!! If I try and keep her up past six she screams until I put her to bed - she now LOVES her sleep! Her daytime naps have also improved as a result!

I tweaked the CC method to suit my little one as I felt that doubling the time at each interval was too much and i didn't leave her more than 10 minutes at a time - but that's just what I felt comfortable with.

Try the method you feel most comfortable with and let your instincts lead you. Good luck x x x

If cc is what you want to do & you feel it is the right thing for you & your little one then go ahead and do it.

The problem with asking for people's opinions on this is that they tend to feel very strongly one way or the other.

I really don't like it & think its completely unnecessary. I co slept with my eldest til he was 4 then he decided he wanted to sleep by himself & my youngest slept through from 10months no cc required.

If you've done your research & happy you can make an informed decision then go with it. Mums judge other mums on everything thing they do & you just have to decide what works for you & go for it.

Good luck with whatever route you take it's tough being a parent but definitely the best job in the world.

Sx

I posted on here a while back about controlled crying. It was the best thing I ever did! It gets mixed reviews and although you feel awful and like a bad parent for letting them cry its for the good of everyone in your household - everyone needs a good nights sleep - most of all your little one! My little one used to sleep really well and then it all nose dived after a bout of illness and didn't improve so we used CC.

My little girl ramped right up to full on screaming when she realised that the first time she did it during CC I went rushing in thinking there was something wrong so she continued to do it - I stayed strong and she now sleeps 6 - 7!! If I try and keep her up past six she screams until I put her to bed - she now LOVES her sleep! Her daytime naps have also improved as a result!

I tweaked the CC method to suit my little one as I felt that doubling the time at each interval was too much and i didn't leave her more than 10 minutes at a time - but that's just what I felt comfortable with.

Try the method you feel most comfortable with and let your instincts lead you. Good luck x x x

that's really good ! what did you do each time you went to her did you pick her up or something? i forgot to ask my health visitor what i do about his daytime naps, he has 1 now, do i do the CC in the day ? also would you put her in bed with you again if she was ill or would you keep the routine? sorry for all of the questions :) xx

that's really good ! what did you do each time you went to her did you pick her up or something? i forgot to ask my health visitor what i do about his daytime naps, he has 1 now, do i do the CC in the day ? also would you put her in bed with you again if she was ill or would you keep the routine? sorry for all of the questions :) xx

I tried the cc method but found it too hard to hear her distressed! One piece of advice I can give is to get rid of the daytime naps altogether, I did this with my daughter when she was 1, however it meant she slept all night 7pm-7am without waking, but she still wouldn't do it by herself she had to be in with me, I then changed her cot bed to a single bed and by the time she was 2 and a half she started going to bed in her own room and sleeping through but it would mean I had to sit in the room with her until she fell asleep which could sometimes take up to 45 mins every night! I then tried the gradually leaving the room method, now she's 3 and a half an I just have to tuck her in an read a story then say goodnight and leave the room! Takes about 10 mins! Wish I'd have tried that method sooner! Good luck ;-)

If cc is what you want to do & you feel it is the right thing for you & your little one then go ahead and do it.

The problem with asking for people's opinions on this is that they tend to feel very strongly one way or the other.

I really don't like it & think its completely unnecessary. I co slept with my eldest til he was 4 then he decided he wanted to sleep by himself & my youngest slept through from 10months no cc required.

If you've done your research & happy you can make an informed decision then go with it. Mums judge other mums on everything thing they do & you just have to decide what works for you & go for it.

Good luck with whatever route you take it's tough being a parent but definitely the best job in the world.

Sx

i absolutely love him sleeping in my bed cuddling up to him all night so i know it will be harder for me, but i do want him to be independent and it would be nice to have more room in my bed :) x

I tried the cc method but found it too hard to hear her distressed! One piece of advice I can give is to get rid of the daytime naps altogether, I did this with my daughter when she was 1, however it meant she slept all night 7pm-7am without waking, but she still wouldn't do it by herself she had to be in with me, I then changed her cot bed to a single bed and by the time she was 2 and a half she started going to bed in her own room and sleeping through but it would mean I had to sit in the room with her until she fell asleep which could sometimes take up to 45 mins every night! I then tried the gradually leaving the room method, now she's 3 and a half an I just have to tuck her in an read a story then say goodnight and leave the room! Takes about 10 mins! Wish I'd have tried that method sooner! Good luck ;-)

this doesn't sound like a bad method :) i might try this if it doesn't work out i guess i will have to suck it and see! i would just be worried that he wouldn't eventually go in his own bed. how did you do the gradually leaving the room method? x

When I went to her I would avoid eye contact rub her belly and gently make a ssshhing sound - if they are standing up I would lay them down gently and calmly and do the above again avoiding eye contact (my little girl would giggle and think it was a game if I looked at her!) if my little girl is ill I let her decide what she wants to do sleep wise, also if she is teething. Normally she wants her own bed when ill or teething but if she wants to be in with me I let her - she goes back in her room no problems now once she is feeling better but if she tested the water again (as they do) I would do the CC again (once they are fully recovered).

I did the CC for naps also - took a bit longer to crack than bedtime - but again it's personal preference :)

I tried to stop her daytime naps when she wasn't sleeping at night and for us it made things worse! If she skips a nap in the day then she doesn't sleep as well at night!

It's tough being a mum and there will always be someone who judges you for what you chose - I used to let it get to me but now I just ignore it - my little girl is healthy, happy and loved immensely so I must be doing something right!

feel free to pm me if you have any questions hun.

xx x

When I went to her I would avoid eye contact rub her belly and gently make a ssshhing sound - if they are standing up I would lay them down gently and calmly and do the above again avoiding eye contact (my little girl would giggle and think it was a game if I looked at her!) if my little girl is ill I let her decide what she wants to do sleep wise, also if she is teething. Normally she wants her own bed when ill or teething but if she wants to be in with me I let her - she goes back in her room no problems now once she is feeling better but if she tested the water again (as they do) I would do the CC again (once they are fully recovered).

I did the CC for naps also - took a bit longer to crack than bedtime - but again it's personal preference :)

I tried to stop her daytime naps when she wasn't sleeping at night and for us it made things worse! If she skips a nap in the day then she doesn't sleep as well at night!

It's tough being a mum and there will always be someone who judges you for what you chose - I used to let it get to me but now I just ignore it - my little girl is healthy, happy and loved immensely so I must be doing something right!

feel free to pm me if you have any questions hun.

xx x

thanks that's really kind of you. i ask my mum all of these questions but she is quite old fashioned with it all and never did CC, that's why i would quite happily get in bed with her still lol (i wouldn't really). my sister says that about her son if he doesn't sleep in the day he doesn't at night either, you would think it would be the opposite way round wouldn't you. i think i will just start with the CC at night, see how that goes then try the same in the day. he has always been a better sleeper in the day even when he was tiny, he was a nightmare to put down at night, had to put him down so gently but in the day he could sleep on a washing line :) xx

thanks that's really kind of you. i ask my mum all of these questions but she is quite old fashioned with it all and never did CC, that's why i would quite happily get in bed with her still lol (i wouldn't really). my sister says that about her son if he doesn't sleep in the day he doesn't at night either, you would think it would be the opposite way round wouldn't you. i think i will just start with the CC at night, see how that goes then try the same in the day. he has always been a better sleeper in the day even when he was tiny, he was a nightmare to put down at night, had to put him down so gently but in the day he could sleep on a washing line :) xx

No worries hun :) you may well find that his day time naps improve on their own as a result of doing the CC at night. And remember stay strong - it's not nice hearing them cry but
if they are fed, snuggled and changed before bed and have a stimulating daytime environment they have everything they need and you are doing this for their own good :) x x

No worries hun :) you may well find that his day time naps improve on their own as a result of doing the CC at night. And remember stay strong - it's not nice hearing them cry but
if they are fed, snuggled and changed before bed and have a stimulating daytime environment they have everything they need and you are doing this for their own good :) x x

thanks so much for all of your advice, its really helped! :) xx

this doesn't sound like a bad method :) i might try this if it doesn't work out i guess i will have to suck it and see! i would just be worried that he wouldn't eventually go in his own bed. how did you do the gradually leaving the room method? x

I started off sitting on the end of her bed, after story time I would wait 10-15 mins till she was just about asleep then try an leave without stirring her lol, gradually I would do story time then leave the room with the door open an tell her I was just doing something in my room, then she would know I was near by, and eventually I was able to say goodnight and close the door! It takes perseverance and patients, also if you have a partner make sure they also continue to do the same as you, as kids thrive on routine, it will make your life a lot easier hope it works for you :)

I started off sitting on the end of her bed, after story time I would wait 10-15 mins till she was just about asleep then try an leave without stirring her lol, gradually I would do story time then leave the room with the door open an tell her I was just doing something in my room, then she would know I was near by, and eventually I was able to say goodnight and close the door! It takes perseverance and patients, also if you have a partner make sure they also continue to do the same as you, as kids thrive on routine, it will make your life a lot easier hope it works for you :)

sounds easy enough, thanks so much x

CC worked fantastically for my eldest within 4 days, but didn't work at all for my 2nd child. 3rd didn't need it!

Give it a try, and if it doesn't work, at least you will know xxxxx All children are different, but good luck xxxxxxx

Mums have something inside them that let's them know what their own child needs and no one can say what a child needs more than their own mum, so go with what your gut tells you.
I'm not a parent but have a large family that involves looking after children regularly and I find routine is the most important. Chill out time with some music, a book or a DVD that's not too stimulating, a bath then an hour of cuddling with a book I find works well and the child is usually asleep before the hour is through. If not then you say night night, tuck them in tight to "make sure your safe and snug", then leave the room turning out the light but leaving a lamp on in the landing for a soft glow to enter the room. X

Haven't read the hole thread and as yet don't have any children but my mum always tells me all her babys slept from 6 until 6 from 6 weeks old, old school and non of us are any worse for wear and don't ever remember having any bed time problems :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

Haven't read the hole thread and as yet don't have any children but my mum always tells me all her babys slept from 6 until 6 from 6 weeks old, old school and non of us are any worse for wear and don't ever remember having any bed time problems :-D

I sound like your mum, my 3 have slept 7-7 since 4/6 weeks old,

Strict routine makes happy children

children up to 9 need 12 hrs sleep a night

I sound like your mum, my 3 have slept 7-7 since 4/6 weeks old,

Strict routine makes happy children

children up to 9 need 12 hrs sleep a night

If I ever have any babys I will be applying this routine as much as possible :-D

If I ever have any babys I will be applying this routine as much as possible :-D

So did your mum not do controlled crying? x

So did your mum not do controlled crying? x

I didn't think we cried that much really :-D

Latest posts

Back