Small bottles of Acetone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twid

Reaction score
There was a thread yesterday about the pros and cons of letting clients have their own small home removal kits. Im not saying its a good or bad idea as I wouldnt want anyone to do something they dont feel comfortable about. I will just say about my experience today;

In certain circumstances I supply clients with a DIY removal kit, either for Shellac or other nail enhancements. I've found it impossible to source small bottles of Acetone that can either be filled by myself or that come ready filled. Also there is the issue of bottle labelling and safety info. I dont want clients going to a chemist and buying 100ml as I wouldnt get any removal business and they would also feel it OK to ask for help from me for free! So selling them a small amount in a DIY kit with proper instructions is a benefit to both myself and my clients.

There was a link to a company that supplied these bottles, ready labelled and filled but it seemed that they only came in huge quantities ie: 180 upwards. I emailed them last night to find out if they'd be willing to do smaller size and to my delight got the fastest and most helpful response I can remember receiving from anyone.

They would supply me with whatever quantity I wanted however large or small. So I've just ordered and paid for some today via paypal and they will be sent to me via 2nd class post, recorded if I wanted as this was the best way to keep costs down instead of using their usual carrier. I am waiting with baited breath and hope that its an end to my DIY dilemma.

I dont know if Im allowed to put their details up on here and I can honestly say I've nothing to gain by telling people about them I just felt that it might be something other people may wish to know. If you'd like their details then PM me or can someone let me know if its OK to post their details for all.

HTH
Karaxxx

I am amazed that they are legally allowed to put a flammable substance in the ordinary 2nd Class postal system!

I guess he knows what he's doing, its his business afterall. I wouldnt dare tell him what was right or wrong! :o

I bet if we knew what came through our ordinary postal system we'd all be be gobsmacked and our toes would curl!!

Karaxxx

Are u sure ur stuff is gonna turn up? Wouldn't it be better to have just bought some little glass bottles and poured it I'n yourself? It's quite dangerous to post it, what if they all smashed?

I think giving a client a small bottle a very good idea.

The regular repeat clients prefer us to take them off (I do it for free if having another set done) which is great, but the clients that only want gel overlays done for special occasions prefer to take them off when they are ready.
I do make sure they know exactly how to remove without damaging.

It just seems 2 appointments for 1 set of overlays is too much time out for a few people.

Acetone is flammable and it comes under the hazardous goods act. It is actually prohibited to send acetone by mail, first or second class.
That's why reputable distributors will use a courier service.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek
Ruth Fordham

I was interested in this thread so did a quick search and the Company I found sells empty or Acetone filled bottles, the filled ones are all clearly legally labelled and they only send empty ones through the post the filled ones are sent via UPS Courier so they are legal. The only thing that bothers me slightly is that is is pure Acetone, I believe the product we buy to remove Shellac is buffered, is this correct? On the other hand would a one off removal with pure Acetone really make much difference anyway? kx

i bought some small bottle of acetone from my local supplier! I'm sure there not that hard to get your hards on! :) x

I also bought some small bottles of Acetone in 200ml bottles. Just enough to soak a full set off, it is the brand I use within my Salon so I know it is trusted. I got them from my local wholesalers approx £1.50 a bottle - VAT, I retail them at £2.29 so not making a massive profit but I would rather clients bought their products from me that someone else.

Most customers prefer to have their nails soaked off professionally but the odd few do only have them every now and then and like to have the option of removing them should they wish.

x

Isn't there a product by CND called dsolve? It was my understanding that they sold this in small bottles. I would think This would be more professional on the product end of it (people like to buy products by companies they know) at least this is my thought. But I have yet to retail diy removal kits so I dont have a dog in that hunt.

the smallest is 250ml i think! which isnt really that small? x

You can get Expert Touch in small bottles from LenaWhite - not too sure how much they are, but I will sometimes sell a bottle to a client if they need. I do prefer not to do this as they inevitably come back with flaky nails from where they have picked it off!

I also prefer clients not taking their own product off, for Shellac I take it off for free if they're having it redone at the same time. Sometimes they want a removal kit as a "comfort blanket" if they're going on holiday or, for whatever reason, are going longer than usual between appointments.

Recently I saw a new client, she works near me but lives a fair distance away. She wanted to try Shellac for her wedding, but working in the NHS she cant have anything on at work. She had 10 days off but was returning to work on a Monday, I dont work Saturdays or Sundays so if I'd have to have taken them off 3 days earlier than necessary. She wanted to keep them on as long as possible to test them for her honeymoon as well. Buying a kit meant she could take them off on Sunday night and have her "comfort blanket" for her honeymoon. I made a little money which I wouldn't have done as she was never going to come all the way back her just for a removal - she told me that, I would probably have lost all her business if I'd insisted!

I know you can buy it cheaply but they are usually very large bottles and I dont want to encourage clients to DIY all the time, Im worried about over exposure and careless removal. I dont really want to fill myself in unlabelled bottles and am worried I'll label them incorrectly by not putting the correct H&S info.

Ur right Stirthemud the Company I investigated also do filled and unfilled bottles so the choice could be yours as to what product you put in it. The acetone I got from a beauty wholesales only lists the ingredients as acetone so I assume its pure.

Karaxxx

I would never advocate a DIY removal to any of my clients! I am a professional!

Shellac is a professional treatment and hence should only be removed by a professional!

Clients are nit trained to remove anything themselves, and them seeing you do it does not qualify them to do a proper removal!

That client will never come back to you for removal, instead would be expecting to be able to purchase removal articles from you!

Imagine dentists selling quick filling kits for emergencies! There is a reason why they don't!

So why should I miss out on business!

Nail designer with a twist;)

I would never advocate a DIY removal to any of my clients! I am a professional!

Shellac is a professional treatment and hence should only be removed by a professional!

Clients are nit trained to remove anything themselves, and them seeing you do it does not qualify them to do a proper removal!

That client will never come back to you for removal, instead would be expecting to be able to purchase removal articles from you!

Imagine dentists selling quick filling kits for emergencies! There is a reason why they don't!

So why should I miss out on business!

Nail designer with a twist;)

I agree :) ,
I wavered for a while at the start, as it's a bit confusing, the remover wrap packs CND make do seem like they are made for the client to buy and chuck in her bag,
But the client is sooooo much more likely to RE-Shellac if she comes in for removal ,
If she is going away / on holiday it's fab to show her just how connected and global the CND family really is by finding her a salon close to where she is going to be for a professional removal / re-shellac appointment .
You can do this by calling the local distribution ,eg UK sweet squared , Germany MAHA Ect or by contacting CND or even asking around on Facebook ,
There's a U.S air-force saying
" it's a small air force "

Well these days nails is a small industry .

She is soooo much more likly to re book with you for her next Shellac so she can tell you all about it ( and the holiday / trip)

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Www.lilmissbuffit.com

I just wanted to say my parcel came this morning, all in excellent condition. Two small boxes that'll hardly take up any room, tight screw top lids with a dropper inside (no client spillages) and excellent labelling - they are brilliant, just what I was hoping for.

Karaxxx

I just wanted to say my parcel came this morning, all in excellent condition. Two small boxes that'll hardly take up any room, tight screw top lids with a dropper inside (no client spillages) and excellent labelling - they are brilliant, just what I was hoping for.

Karaxxx

What is the ink to these people please, sounds like this is what I am after.
Are they small 50ml bottles (just enough for 1 or 2 removals in case of emergency)

young nails sell a product called polish off. It takes polish off within seconds, all you have to do is put your finger into the tub, give you finger a swirl and polish gone. it removes gel polish after sitting your finger in it for 1 minute after buffing off top coat... it is a fantastic product. I have just started in a salon and am going to be selling a gelish/ManQ soak off kit because, as we all know, some clients do not come back to get their nails professinally emoved but if i can help them keep the damage down to a minimum by supplying them with a professional product, then i would rather have that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back