Small business - appointments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanyer21

Nail addict
Reaction score
How far in advance do you open your book. We are having a nightmare as there is only 2 of us and clients want to book appointments so far in advance that it then gets crazy busy and I feel if they then want to change one booking it messes them all up or if they decide they want to give there nails a break etc we end up with unwanted appointments that we have turned others away from. It's really getting me stressed at the moment as to how best to work it as we have that many regulars we struggle to fit them all in

Sounds like a good complaint! Do you have a cancellation list for certain dates (the people you turn away), it may help you fill these slots and do you have a strict cancellation policy?

Congratulations, it sounds like you have a healthy, normal business. I'm usually booked six weeks in advance, with longer term bookings as much as two years. I find a great deal of comfort in this as I am then able to plan for things such as stock and staffing requirements, I can predict income and plan accordingly. We have a strict cancellation policy and a waiting list. If you're struggling to fit in regulars you could maybe advise them to regularly book ahead, my regular clients book two to three appointments ahead to avoid disappointment. You do not have anything to be stressed about, you have a successful business. Plan for success and growth, can you expand in anyway, employ more people?. You're doing well, many businesses owners know what to do when things go wrong as we have multiple back up plans, what many of us forget to plan for is success.

Thankyou girls yeah all the clients are regulars and we find they seem to all be bickering over the same appointments say if one got 2 weeks then another 3 then eventually hit on the same week and both expect to have there slot certain day certain time I then feel they get a bit nasty with us as if we havnt saved it for them. I finding they are wanting to book from one year to the next so what I have been doing is letting them book 3 months in advance saying the book opens the 1st of the month for another month and they can ring to secure there slots which they don' and then when they come in if someone else has took it they get really mad with me saying the last time they were in the book wasn' open and now the next time there in it's full I just don' know how to work it for the best like should I be opening my book from one year to the next and just letting them put them all in

It sounds like it's time for a small policy change. You could send an email to clients informing them of changes to your booking system, you should word it in a way that makes them realise that they are accountable for making their own appointments and that they are lucky to be coming to such a successful business. Terms such as "due to increased demand we are...", "to enable us to improve our service to you we have....", "to help you avoid disappointment you can now...." . Most importantly, you will need to implement a strict late cancellation policy as a result of this as this will prevent people from booking far in advance and then cancelling at the last minute.

If clients are getting angry about this change you booking system and let them know you've done it to make them happy. 85% of my clients book two to three months in advance when they are leaving the salon and they like that we advise them of upcoming staff holidays and busy periods so they can get what they want, when they want it. My clients know if they want the prime slots they need to book four to six weeks in advance and if they are looking for cancellation appointments for the weekend to call at 1.00 pm on a Thursday as that's when clients cancel for the weekend, but that's now a rarity!.

When I became that busy, a few clients became angry with me as they didn't like booking ahead, they liked to call on the day, I have lost them as we are no longer their type of salon. I simply attract clients who love what we do and book us in advance to get the service and quality they love.

Be strong, kind and firm, you're doing well.

I work by myself from my home based salon.
I always rebook clients before they leave . They are then booking anywhere between 3 weeks to 3 months ahead. This reduces the amount of phone calls and emails I have to deal with too.
I drop when my holiday weeks are, into the conversation so this pushes them into booking.

I have a cancellation policy in place too.

I find it's the new clients not turning up that annoy me the most. So rude not to let you know. Fortunately I only get a handful of these per year now.

Sometimes, if a new client phones for an appointment that day, I tell them I'm full and no spaces until such and such day. This way they don't take me for granted! Not best business practice I know but if they are a bit attitudey with me on the phone then not a quality client possibly! If they really want to come to me they will wait a couple of days! [emoji4]

A month, usually. We use the software which blocks the opportunity to make appointment further so we don't have to deal with a number of no-shows

Everybody could only wish for such busy schedule!
I can recommend you good software that would ping your clients automatically, and confirm or cancel appointments in advance, so you would know whether to count on them, or just take another client.

Latest posts

Back