Small business grant fund

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

China Rose

Reaction score
Has anyone received the grant funding from their local authority yet - the one for businesses that pay little or no business rates?

I had an email this morning that said my application had been approved and I should have funds in my bank account within 10 days.
Very happy! [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]
(Sedgemoor district council, Somerset)

Oh, that's great news! I bet that is a weight off your shoulders. Can I ask when you made your application?

How do I apply for a grant from the Small Business Grant Fund? Is it different in Scotland?

Oh, that's great news! I bet that is a weight off your shoulders. Can I ask when you made your application?

It’s probably less than a week since I filled in the on line form [emoji106]

How do I apply for a grant from the Small Business Grant Fund? Is it different in Scotland?

I don’t know if Scotland is different but in England your council send you a letter to tell you how to apply.
You will need the reference number off your business rates invoice- you would have received one in March/April for the new tax year.

I don’t know if Scotland is different but in England your council send you a letter to tell you how to apply.
You will need the reference number off your business rates invoice- you would have received one in March/April for the new tax year.

I see. So its Rates dependent. Thats not good as it was only rent being paid.

I guess we will need to wait until HMRC delivers on the 80% of profits scheme.

Thanks for your reply.

StuartW, a lot of people don't know this and I learnt the hard way some years ago - if you rent a room in a premises (this applies to England anyway, not sure about Scotland), by law you are responsible for the rates for the area that you run the business from. It's not the landlord. So be very careful as that could potentially cause a lot of problems for you one day if the rates for your part "haven't been paid". You could ask the landlord if they would be receiving the grant and if they would be willing to share some of that with you - which is unlikely. As a side note, to apply you look on your local council's website and there is a form there you can fill in.

I see. So its Rates dependent. Thats not good as it was only rent being paid.

I guess we will need to wait until HMRC delivers on the 80% of profits scheme.

Thanks for your reply.
And if you're a limited company director, you're pretty much out of luck for that.

Has anyone received the grant funding from their local authority yet - the one for businesses that pay little or no business rates?
We had a letter yesterday from local council and had to fill in a details on their website with bank details etc, they say funds will be in our account next week

StuartW, a lot of people don't know this and I learnt the hard way some years ago - if you rent a room in a premises (this applies to England anyway, not sure about Scotland), by law you are responsible for the rates for the area that you run the business from. It's not the landlord. So be very careful as that could potentially cause a lot of problems for you one day if the rates for your part "haven't been paid". You could ask the landlord if they would be receiving the grant and if they would be willing to share some of that with you - which is unlikely. As a side note, to apply you look on your local council's website and there is a form there you can fill in.
It would be interesting to know if that's included in the rent. Could you tell me where to find this info on the government websites?

Do the grants have to be paid back over time like a loan? I know “grant” usually means “gift”.... hope everyone is doing well x

Do the grants have to be paid back over time like a loan? I know “grant” usually means “gift”.... hope everyone is doing well x
No, they can be viewed as income

I am in Scotland and to got an email saying that my application had been successful and should have the funds within 10 days so fingers crossed. In Scotland I believe we have to apply ourselves and I did so through my local council website [emoji3]

Most small businesses in scotland dont usually pay rates. We are exempt by the small business exemption scheme. The scot gov website said the local council would contact us, but i went online and my council had a form i could complete. It did say they would try to pay in 10 days, but I haven't had anything yet.

It would be interesting to know if that's included in the rent. Could you tell me where to find this info on the government websites?
You should be able to find it on your local council's website. It's quite hard to search for though. Whether it's included in your rent is irrelevant to the council. You could have this arrangement with the landlord but the council expects the "occupier" to be responsible, not the landlord.

Yes I have received the grant already

You should be able to find it on your local council's website. It's quite hard to search for though. Whether it's included in your rent is irrelevant to the council. You could have this arrangement with the landlord but the council expects the "occupier" to be responsible, not the landlord.
I'll go searching for it. Thanks

I received mines today

Latest posts

Back