Small business grant fund

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes we have and money is in the bank already

Most small businesses in scotland dont usually pay rates. We are exempt by the small business exemption scheme. The scot gov website said the local council would contact us, but i went online and my council had a form i could complete. It did say they would try to pay in 10 days, but I haven't had anything yet.

My wifes business is located in a hairdressing salon which in turn is located in a health club. The area is Giffnock in Glasgow. With this in mind I just had a look at East Renfrewshire Council website and the application form for a grant. The first question it asks is

Please check just one of the following boxes:
1. Small business support grant: Application for a one-off £10,000 grant available for the ratepayers of properties which had a rateable value of £18,000 or less and were, on 17 March 2020, 1) in receipt of the Small Business Bonus Scheme (SBBS), 2) in receipt of Rural Relief, or 3) eligible for SBBS but in receipt of Nursery Relief or Disabled Relief
2. Retail, hospitality, leisure support grant: Application for a £25,000 grant available for relief recipients with a rateable value between £18,001 and £50,999 in the retail, hospitality, and leisure sectors

As mentioned previously only rent is paid and no Rates. Looks like we fail at the first hurdle and need to wait for HMRC and the "Profits" route.

I guess we should be grateful to at least have 1 salary coming in. Its an eye opener when you see the consequences of losing a salary to the household income.

Stay safe everyone.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Home based salons who are registered with the council are eligible?

Does anyone know if Home based salons who are registered with the council are eligible?

Yes. I have a home based salon and I get an invoice for business rates each year.
You should have had a letter from your district council already telling you to apply on line. I received my grant a week ago.

You do have to be registered for business rates rather than normal domestic rates to qualify.
So people who might have done planning permission through the council but not then notified the business rates department (and therefore not being invoiced each year) will not qualify.

Other help is also available if you are self employed or perhaps other grants/loans.

Yes. I have a home based salon and I get an invoice for business rates each year.
You should have had a letter from your district council already telling you to apply on line. I received my grant a week ago.

You do have to be registered for business rates rather than normal domestic rates to qualify.
So people who might have done planning permission through the council but not then notified the business rates department (and therefore not being invoiced each year) will not qualify.

Other help is also available if you are self employed or perhaps other grants/loans.

Thank you! Yes I have had a letter just wandered if anyone had successfully claimed. I applied on Friday so will wait and see!

Been doing some catching up with entitlement to a Govt Grant. Looking at the Govt website it now seems that if you have only been trading for 1 year there is no entitlement. This is despite Chancellor saying on the day all was announced that they would look at all cases regardless of how long trading. This was said in response to a question from a journalist immediately post announcement. I do hope I am misinterpreting the info on the Govt website

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a...elf-employment-income-support-scheme#eligible
Any thoughts on this?

My wifes business is located in a hairdressing salon which in turn is located in a health club. The area is Giffnock in Glasgow. With this in mind I just had a look at East Renfrewshire Council website and the application form for a grant. The first question it asks is

Please check just one of the following boxes:
1. Small business support grant: Application for a one-off £10,000 grant available for the ratepayers of properties which had a rateable value of £18,000 or less and were, on 17 March 2020, 1) in receipt of the Small Business Bonus Scheme (SBBS), 2) in receipt of Rural Relief, or 3) eligible for SBBS but in receipt of Nursery Relief or Disabled Relief
2. Retail, hospitality, leisure support grant: Application for a £25,000 grant available for relief recipients with a rateable value between £18,001 and £50,999 in the retail, hospitality, and leisure sectors

As mentioned previously only rent is paid and no Rates. Looks like we fail at the first hurdle and need to wait for HMRC and the "Profits" route.

I guess we should be grateful to at least have 1 salary coming in. Its an eye opener when you see the consequences of losing a salary to the household income.

Stay safe everyone.
Oh, dear. Sorry to hear this. That's why I wanted to highlight the issue of the occupier for that space being responsible for the rates, even when it's a room within another business. So many people don't realise this and it's in situations like this they lose out. Hope you manage to get some help.

Latest posts

Back