Small business grant scheme

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisamv

Reaction score
Hi, just a quick query.
My salon landlard has done nothing but make things more difficult during this situation, giving us no rent break which is fair enough although he is a millionaire and then putting up my rent instead of offering help when my business had to close and I had a family to support!
And now he is demanding 1 year of rent up front if I get the grant and also saying he trusts we’ll invest the remainder of the grant into advertising for my business and the centre where it is located (which I always advertise myself anyway but who is he to say what I spend this money on)

I just feel very uncomfortable with how they’ve behaved and think their attitude stinks. It makes me not want to stay there and I just don’t trust him.

My question is, does anyone know where I stand with the grant if I receive it based on that property but leave to carry on business elsewhere?

He sounds like a nightmare! He has no say in how you spend that money and does your agreement say you have to pay a years upfront? Not sure how it is if you move though, but I would have thought once you have the money you could leave.

He sounds like a nightmare! He has no say in how you spend that money and does your agreement say you have to pay a years upfront? Not sure how it is if you move though, but I would have thought once you have the money you could leave.

Thanks for your reply. He has just wrote me a letter today stating that I have to pay a year up front and the rent is increasing by £10 a week.
I have signed no contract with them and only opened in December.
Yes I’m hoping that. I just wondered if anyone knew and particular terms to the grant as it’s not easy to find online!

He’s just got my back up, I feel he’s offered no support to us tenants as people at all and yet wants us to bend over backwards and support the centre! Just greed!

He sounds awful. A bit like my old landlord who was a millionaire and a greedy one at that. It appears he is making the rules up as he goes along and is maybe fearful that you are going to leave hence the reason of him saying he wants a years rent up front. Ludicrous! Get out whilst you can x

Hi, the money is for you to do what you like with. It’s nothing to do with your Landlord, and you shouldn’t have to pay rent upfront unless otherwise stated in your lease agreement. Sounds like he’s just being greedy.

However, not sure what happens if you leave the premises, but I’d imagine as it’s your business, and you would already have the money in your bank account then you would be able to leave.

I would double check your lease agreement before you decide to move as you may have to pay some more rent to get out of it x

Omg your landlord sounds like a nightmare totally check your lease if you have one. If you can get out of it I would. If the grant money comes through there isn’t anything stopping you to move your business elsewhere unless it something is stated in your lease. My lease states I can get out of it by giving 3 month notice only thing. I have another year left but not sure what to do as my landlord is a nightmare too I had to involve a lawyer to try fixed a leaky door which unfortunately didn’t get fixed before the lockdown.

When i started my lease, i had to pay 3 months rent as a deposit, which i was told was standard by my lawyer. She did negotiate that if i kept up to date, it would be returned after 2 years, which i did, and so the landlord did. All if this was agreed b4 i moved in tho.

Thanks for your reply. He has just wrote me a letter today stating that I have to pay a year up front and the rent is increasing by £10 a week.
I have signed no contract with them and only opened in December.
Yes I’m hoping that. I just wondered if anyone knew and particular terms to the grant as it’s not easy to find online!

He’s just got my back up, I feel he’s offered no support to us tenants as people at all and yet wants us to bend over backwards and support the centre! Just greed!
You have the upper hand if you have no lease just tell him no. See him squirm as you can easily find other places to work from as goodness knows after all this might be a few empty properties up for rent. It’s going to come back and bite him especially if you are a good tenant and he has got your back up x

Your business. Your money. It has nothing to do with him how you invest your money unless you have a limited company and he's a director with 51% or more shares! Personally I would bump him off and go somewhere else. People like that don't deserve loyalty because they show none back. Nows your chance to get researching something different. He can't evict you its currently against the law. So even if you tell him you can't afford his rent until you get back to business he can't evict you. To evict you he'd have to take you to court. If you leave of your own accord after all this he doesn't. He might pursue you though for any rent owed as per the terms of the lease. So it's worth having a look at any lease you signed. Some run for an amount of time like a year and then go from month to month. Which means either can give a months notice. Check you lease!!! If unsure get a solicitor to look at it. Its worth a quick £50 to keep you right.

Nicky x

Latest posts

Back