Smart Bond by L'Oreal, any Olaplex users tried this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED STAR

Reaction score
Have any of you Geeks tried L'Oreals rival to OLAPLEX...If so, how does it rate?

Isn't Olaplex still patented?

Surely it's not the same? Surely it's more like Colorphlex?

My rep was trying to get me interested the other day. I asked him about the patents and how they could do it & he basically said they found other chemicals to do the same thing. He explained it like how we have normal colours and ammonia free colours etc, they all colour hair effectively but with slightly different chemistry. They just found another ingredient that does the same thing. I asked if they were doing samples and he said they would let me know but it's so much cheaper than olaplex so I wonder if it's more like colour phlex. Goldwell also have their one out now but again it's cheaper so not sure if it works the same way and no samples to try before you buy! Also olaplex has bought me new clients that ring and specifically ask for it. For that reason I will stick with it cos unless loreal do a major campaign, I can't imagine getting enquiries asking for it, but who knows! I knew it wouldn't be long before all the big names bought their version out. At least it doesn't have a plex in the name!

I think L'Oreal has come late in the day , we use fiberplex which I am very happy with however it does cross my mind to try olaplex

A friend of mine who's a salon owner tried fibre plex & olaplex & said olaplex is very different in a much better way, she only had fibre plex because she uses Schwarzkopf colours but has now gone back to olaplex

I have not tried the loreal but in my experience with olaplex it is the only thing I will try until anything else is proven to be as awesome as it is.

Have any of you Geeks tried L'Oreals rival to OLAPLEX...If so, how does it rate?
SMARTBOND is amazing !!! having used most of the other ones out there like olaplex,fibrephlex.innuluxe,colourphlex and a few more the only ones ive found close to olaplex is fibrephlex and smartbond. i find smartbond alot more conditioning and leaves the hair feeling softer then olaplex. also the fact you dont have to bump up devolper is great aswell!!! only thing i will say is as a stand alone treatment it doesnt work aswell as it works by piggy backing onto the colour molecules.

I've talked to a few hairdressers that tried it over the weekend, they said it made the lightener too runny and spotty.

SMARTBOND is amazing !!! having used most of the other ones out there like olaplex,fibrephlex.innuluxe,colourphlex and a few more the only ones ive found close to olaplex is fibrephlex and smartbond. i find smartbond alot more conditioning and leaves the hair feeling softer then olaplex. also the fact you dont have to bump up devolper is great aswell!!! only thing i will say is as a stand alone treatment it doesnt work aswell as it works by piggy backing onto the colour molecules.

Is that you Rob? :D

Is that you Rob? :D
I am a true Olaplex lover but my company now wants me to test Smart bond as we're a Loreal salon. Adam what is your opinion about it? I've also heard good things about fibreplex by Schwarzkopf so I guess the technology from Olaplex can be somehow mimicked? Sorry to roll this up!

My rep sent me the technical sheet on it.

It's not very technical. I asked him what the active ingredient is and he said the 'hero' ingredient in maelic acid.

Any ideas what that is?

Google didn't help much...

My rep sent me the technical sheet on it.

It's not very technical. I asked him what the active ingredient is and he said the 'hero' ingredient in maelic acid.

Any ideas what that is?

Google didn't help much...
I googled smartbond and there it's said maleic acid is their key ingredient.
I don't think it's in any way capable of doing what Olaplex can do. I will do test strands soon

I googled smartbond and there it's said maleic acid is their key ingredient.
I don't think it's in any way capable of doing what Olaplex can do. I will do test strands soon
I've got a feeling I've been told maelic acid is a protein?

My understanding is that where OLAPLEX 're-connects' broken bond.......Smartbond builds new ones.....

It arrived today, and usage is pretty much the same as OLA.....
I must admit to feeling 'disloyal' by taking it on, but I've failed to sell the No.3 at £32.00 for 100ml.
L'oreals No3 rrp is £18.95, so will possibly be easier to retail.

I think I'll use the smartbond in with my colours, as per instruction....but continue to offer OLAPEX as a stand alone, top of the range alternative.

I am keen to find out more on Smartbond - Does anyone know if its salon exclusive or going to be available at wholesalers?

I absolutely love smart bond - it works out much cheaper and you don't have to up the oxidant in lightener. I think it's a really good alternative. :)

I've had Smartbond in my salon for a fortnight. I've never used Olaplex as the No3 would be too much of a hard sell for my clients. I've had really good in salon results and clients are happy too. The RRP suggested by my rep was lower than the one quoted above and I've have gone with the lowest RRP for the take home and gone middle ground for the in salon treatment, as that's what I feel is the most beneficial part for my clients and the easier sell! I don't think the Step 3 is that amazing but it is a good lightweight conditioning treatment for the money.

I am keen to find out more on Smartbond - Does anyone know if its salon exclusive or going to be available at wholesalers?
Hi James,
It's currently an in salon exclusive. There are some videos on the lorealprouk youtube channel detailing how the product works and how to use it with tint, preflightner, effasor And as a stand alone treatment.
Hope this helps

Here's the thing:
Olaplex is the ONLY patented multiplier on the market, they own the technology, which can not be duplicated until their patent runs out.
I'm a chemist, it takes a lot to even get a patent, much less 8 like Olaplex has.
Everything else is just a deep conditioner, don't be fooled!

Latest posts

Back