Smelly Brazilian wax

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annemarie

CND Grand Master tech
Reaction score
I had a new client in yesterday for a Brazilian wax (I'm Kim lawless trained). Anyone that's done Kim's training knows that we start from the back first with the client on all fours. As the client undressed and hopped onto the bed I noticed a smell. She was a larger lady and I thought it was some kind of body odour from sweating maybe. Anyway When I was cleaning the area to be waxed I nearly passed out with the smell. She had obviously been to the toilet and hadn't cleaned herself properly. I didn't want to embarrass her cause she was lovely so I just carried on with the treatment.
I've never done a Brazilian wax so fast in my life. I've been waxing for a long time and have been doing brazilians and hollywoods for a few months and have never come across this before. It made me physically sick. I cant understand how someone would come in for something so personal and not check if they where clean down below first. Last night I was hoping she wouldn't come back but then I thought maybe she didn't realise and it could just be a one off.
I've been reading some threads on here about leaving wipes in the treatment room etc.
What would be the best way to approach this situation if I ever come a cross it again? Has anyone else come across a similar incident with a client?
Thanks in advance :Scared:

Last edited:
I had a new client in yesterday for a Brazilian wax (I'm Kim lawless trained). Anyone that's done Kim's training knows that we start from the back first with the client on all fours. As the client undressed and hopped onto the bed I noticed a smell. She was a larger lady and I thought it was some kind of body odour from sweating maybe. Anyway When I was cleaning the area to be waxed I nearly passed out with the smell. She had obviously been to the toilet and hadn't cleaned herself properly. I didn't want to embarrass her cause she was lovely so I just carried on with the treatment.
I've never done a Brazilian wax so fast in my life. I've been waxing for a long time and have been doing brazilians and hollywoods for a few months and have never come across this before. It made me physically sick. I cant understand how someone would come in for something so personal and not check if they where clean down below first. Plastic night I was hoping she wouldn't come back but then I thought maybe she didn't realise and it could just be a one off.
I've been reading some threads on here about leaving wipes in the treatment room etc.
What would be the best way to approach this situation if I ever come a cross it again? Has anyone else come across a similar incident with a client?
Thanks in advance :Scared:

My God! Totally feel for you!

What about suggesting to clients that there are wipes should they need to use them :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Could you perhaps send a text or email out the day before just briefly explaining the treatment and state that all clients must arrive freshly showed for this type of treatment. I'd also tell them when they arrive that whilst preparing for the treatment you have left out some wipes for them to use before hand?

Although I understand this is a very intimate treatment, and you don't want to embarrass them, it's common courtesy to arrive smelling fresh, and you have every right to refuse treatment.

Im mobile, so its possibly a little easier for me - I always text the clients the night before, with an appointment reminder and a polite little "please ensure you are freshly showered in time for your appointment". I also carry a pack of baby wipes with me, and once I have set up couch I pop these on top, as I leave the room whilst the client gets undressed, I let them know there are wipes if they would like to freshen up.

I take my hat off to you, because I think I would have had to say something/asked her to freshen up once I had noticed the smell. I feel queezy just thinking about it x

What a shame for you! I'm rubbish at any kind of situation where I need to be blunt. I even struggle to ask the hairdressers where I work to keep quiet when I'm doing a massage!
I do ladies brazilian waxing too and I've often thought what would I do in that situation. Although I'd really find it difficult I think i would have to refuse to do the treatment. Do I need £30 so badly that I'd carry out this treatment on someone who couldn't be bothered freshening up? No! And they might think they don't need to be all that fresh and come back another time still smelly!
So I would politely say I'm going to leave the room to let you freshen up some more. If they are offended and leave or don't come back then all I've lost is £30 and I won't dread them rebooking.
It's a common courtesy, most people brush their teeth before going to the dentist.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have a downstairs loo next to my treatment room so when clients arrive for intimate waxing I welcome them, take them into the treatment room show them where they can put their bags, clothes etc, I then tell I will leave them for a moment while they freshen up in the loo with wipes which are kept in there and then get themselves ready in the room. Seems to work as I've never had a situation like yours!

I did once have a regular who smelled as though she had some sort of thrush/candida issue although she was always actually clean😳

I have experienced this previously and would never ever say anything to the client. Period.

I have developed a breathing technique over the years that kind of helps with bad odours so I can still keep an even facial expression.

I am wearing gloves anyway so I clean up and change my gloves, no one but me needs to know about it.

Oh gosh. I've recently been thinking I could overcome my fear and train in Brazilian waxing, I hadn't even considered these sort of issues!! I really don't think I'll ever be able to do it. Cringe!! Xxx

I always leave a pack of wipes on the couch and leave my clients alone for a few minutes in the treatment room. Most of my clients come from work and probably haven't had the chance to shower etc prior to the waxing appointment so the few minutes alone allows them the opportunity to freshen up before we start the waxing.

I have developed a breathing technique over the years that kind of helps with bad odours so I can still keep an even facial expression..

Lol.. Jacquelineanna ! .. A drop of Vicks under the nostrils does the trick!!

Last edited by a moderator:
With any smelly problems, it's always best to breath through your mouth.

Lol.. Jacquelineanna ! .. A drop of Vicks under the nostrils does the trick!!

I use tea tree oil. My partner shared this little bit of advice with me - he used to work as a carer.

I used to work in hospital we always put Vicks on our nostrils stops you gagging at any nasty smells x

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to leave wipes in the treatment room from now on. I do have them in the toilet though.

I use tea tree oil. My partner shared this little bit of advice with me - he used to work as a carer.

I take my hat off to carers. They do an amazing job. And it's one I certainly couldn't do.

I held my breath reading this! Awful!

The beauty industry is very glamourise isn't it !?

What would be the best way to approach this situation if I ever come a cross it again? :
Wipes? Sounds like a fire extinguisher would be better.

It's really difficult because you either choose to be really blunt and ask them to go to the loo and clean up (wipes are only really for sweat) or you hold your breath and do a 5 min Brazilian wax.

Awful!!!!!! :cry: x

Give it a good blast of febreeze next time. :wink2:

Latest posts

Back