Smilespa

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brenn

Reaction score
Has anyone introduced the Smilespa teeth whitening system. If so I would love to hear your comments about the system & whether it's been a success.
Thanks.

huge warning on the radio last week about unqualified beauty therapists doing teeth whitening and 7 salons were under investigation. According to the reporter, these procedures should only be carried out by a dentist.:green:(pic of my teeth)

Haven't introduced anything of the sort in my salon.

Having read numerous articles in both trade and national press, the sh*t is possibly going to hit the fan on this one regarding unqualified people carrying out what is essentially dental work. It is (as far as I understand) illegal for anyone not registered with the BDA (British Dental Association) to carry out ANY form of procedure within the oral area (although not quite sure how this related to the old tooth fairies!?). In Aesthetic Medicine journal they quoted that one salon has actually been prosecuted and more will definately follow.

I could be way off mark here, but I personally do not think that therapists should be carrying out this type of treatment, but maybe that comes from my background years ago of working in a dental hospital!

Amazing how quickly this is going to be enforced but with salons using mma in their nail products and nothing is being done about that...mma is a dangerous chemical too.

I used to stock the Twilight Teeth gunk but you only attract a certain type of clientele with that - Chavs/uneducated/youngsters.

Anybody with any common sense would steer clear of anything that is a quick fix and I personally, if I could afford it, would go to a dentist to have this done.

There are people going around mobile doing this but they do have some kind of professional qualification.

MMA is banned and it is difficult to control it would seem - you can ban something but there will always be people who use it regardless. Like Pirate DVD's, Cocaine.. there is always that percentage.

Interesting to see the comments about prosecutions. Don't Ellisons & Beauty Express sell whitening systems? The BE website has the TeethWhite system on there.

Edit to add, this isn't something I'd want to be offering and would only go to a Dentist as a client if I wanted it. Maybe those who feel there is a market for this should try talking to some dental practices about cross-promotional offers etc.

Interesting to see the comments about prosecutions. Don't Ellisons & Beauty Express sell whitening systems? The BE website has the TeethWhite system on there.

Edit to add, this isn't something I'd want to be offering and would only go to a Dentist as a client if I wanted it. Maybe those who feel there is a market for this should try talking to some dental practices about cross-promotional offers etc.

Yes you can buy it from all kinds of places - just because a stockist has something, it doesn't mean that that product is a more genuine product. At the end of the day, most places want to sell anything that sells - there is money involved.

You do not have to be professionally qualified to administer the likes of Twilight Teeth because the person does it themselves - unlike when someone comes and does it for you. This can cost a few hundred quid and leave just as much damage as the £19.99 sachet of Bleach you purchased from your local sunbed salon!

There is laser teeth whitening which takes about half an hour if I recall - salons often get promotional info offering them a cut of whatever the teeth whitener makes, if they come to that Salon.

MMA is banned and it is difficult to control it would seem - you can ban something but there will always be people who use it regardless. Like Pirate DVD's, Cocaine.. there is always that percentage.

Dont think mma is banned in ths country and I doubt anyone has been taken to court yet. There are untrained persons using it in this country.

Haven't introduced anything of the sort in my salon.

Having read numerous articles in both trade and national press, the sh*t is possibly going to hit the fan on this one regarding unqualified people carrying out what is essentially dental work. It is (as far as I understand) illegal for anyone not registered with the BDA (British Dental Association) to carry out ANY form of procedure within the oral area (although not quite sure how this related to the old tooth fairies!?). In Aesthetic Medicine journal they quoted that one salon has actually been prosecuted and more will definitely follow.

I could be way off mark here, but I personally do not think that therapists should be carrying out this type of treatment, but maybe that comes from my background years ago of working in a dental hospital!

Applying tooth gems is ok though!!! :)

Our salon doesn't offer this but one of my clients went along to another salon to have her teeth whitened, when I next seen her her teeth were no whiter, and she had been in pain for a whole week taking pain killers as her gums were sore & bleeding - yuk! and teeth tender, in her words 'like that cold chill you can sometimes get from eating ice cold ice-cream' - she had that feeling permanently for a week! oh and plus she was £250 down!!! I guess it's down to the training of therapist - so um i'd never try it now x My hubby had it done though at London professional Beauty show & he had a fab much whiter smile that lasted 6months or so (well he likes coffee n coke:lol:)

Hi this is my first post. I went to a salon last tuesday and had the smilespa teeth whitening treatment. It was £150, my teeth were only whiter on the day it was done, my gums are that sore that i have to use my 2 year olds toothbrush and even then i am in an awful lot of pain. Now 6 days later i have a sore on my bottom gum in the middle and it is causing me tooth ache in 2 or 3 middle bottom front teeth.
I hate tooth ache i guess i should make an appointment with my dentist but there is a long wait for an appointment.
Any suggestions anyone?
jess

I hate tooth ache i guess i should make an appointment with my dentist but there is a long wait for an appointment.
Any suggestions anyone?
Ring your dentist and explain what's happened, I'm sure they'll do their best to fit you in, even if it's an emergency appointment, it'll be worth it to get yourself sorted out and be pain free :hug:

They're not hurting too bad today now so i don't think i need to bother the dentist but thanks for the advice anyway. I can't believe it though my teeth are actually less white now than they were before I went for the treatment. I certainly wouldn't recommend smile spa teeth whitening to anyone. My teeth are worse than before and I am £150 down. I feel so stupid for wasting so much money and I hate my teeth now.
jess

Now then I had professional whitening done at a private dentist at a cost of £550 if I recall or thereabouts! Brightwhite system and I can recommend it. Its professional whitening using ultra violet light. It made a huge difference and its lasted as it was about 3 years ago now, and I still have nice coments now. In my opinion when it comes to teeth leave it to the dentists.

Hi Paulette,

You'd better read the smile quest thread for all the potential legal problems and lack of insurance if sued for dental or health damages - insurers are running a mile from this mess it seems.

Did you see Which? magazine's exposed tooth whitening salons problems last month?

Ask your insurer's what they will/won't cover on your premises AND get it in writing - they were full of "we cover everything" by phone until I asked for confirmation in writing and then found the underwriters exclude such cover!

Sam.

Has anyone introduced the Smilespa teeth whitening system. If so I would love to hear your comments about the system & whether it's been a success.
Thanks.
This is the the first time i have used this site i would like to talk to Brenn about the smilespa product, it is a very popular product, my mum n i have both had our teeth done and the results were fantastic, no one has sued a smile spa operative, you buy a treatment gel pack from the supplier and it includes liability insurance. It is not teeth whitening it is stain removal, so you are not doing and dental procedure, mearly deep cleaning, its a bit like being a carpet cleaner!!! every one wants whiter teeth and because the product does not contain bleach it does not damage the teeth or hurt the gums, it is safe enough to have it done once a year to remove new stains. I can organise you a free demonstration at your sallon if you would like,

Last edited:
this is my first posting, i was hoping to reply to Brenn, Smilespa is making operatives alot of money, everyone wants whiter teeth, my mum n i had our teeth done and we were both pleased, because it does not use bleach it is not harmful to teeth and does not hurt gums, It is not a dental procedure or whitening, it is stain removal, so you can have it done every year if you like to remove new stains, with each treatment gel pack you purchase it includes liability insurance but no one has sued a smile spa operative, if you would like i can organise for you to have a free no obligation demonstration by a rep at your sallon ?

I am pro teeth whitening is salons and anything else that can make us a few ££££!
The FACTS;
The General Dental Council (GDC) say it is their 'policy' that only dentists carry out teeth whitening. Of course they will say that as they want to keep the lucritive business to themselves! The General Medical Council (GMC) have INFACT ruled that teeth whitening is a COSMETIC NOT DENTAL proceedure and therefore CAN be carried out by trained operatives who are NOT dentists. If you visit your 'dentist' you are likely to pay twice as much for the treatment only for it to be carried out by the hygienist!
I have researched the systems, have extensive training and completed a course with exam on competency and dental anatomy. I offer teeth whitening in local clinics as my machine is mobile and get very good results from very happy clients. I charge £249 per 1 hour treatment which is HALF that charged by local dentist for a home use tray system. I am honest with clients and tell them this is a lightening and brightening process and will not give Hollywood white - you can only bring enamel up to its natural white colour and not beyond that.
As usual the trouble is there are a few bad clinics out there, doing crap treatments with little training and not getting very good results BUT dont tar us all with the same brush. You can all have your own opinion but please do not go repeating negative comments based on what you read in the newspapers - we are all out there trying to make an honest living!

I hope this bit of "Threadomancy" is acceptable, tooth whitening is becoming very popular, UK Dental Products are promoting their in-salon machines and home kits extensively, they sell the machines & products and offer training, they are the UK distributors for Beyond, American company who've been selling these products for over 8 years. The beautician strength hydrogen peroxide (6%) is usable by non-dental professionals, it takes an hour in your salon to do the whitening, salons are charging around £150.00 to do this. Not many other treatments are so lucrative.
Some people do get sensitivity with their teeth, but any discomfort lasts for less than a day, treatments in dentists (They use 35% in surgery) can cause sensitivity too. Dentists charge at least £200 for tray systems and £400+ for "laser" whitening.
Give UK Dental a call.

I am pro teeth whitening is salons and anything else that can make us a few ££££!
The FACTS;
The General Dental Council (GDC) say it is their 'policy' that only dentists carry out teeth whitening. Of course they will say that as they want to keep the lucritive business to themselves! The General Medical Council (GMC) have INFACT ruled that teeth whitening is a COSMETIC NOT DENTAL proceedure and therefore CAN be carried out by trained operatives who are NOT dentists. If you visit your 'dentist' you are likely to pay twice as much for the treatment only for it to be carried out by the hygienist!
I have researched the systems, have extensive training and completed a course with exam on competency and dental anatomy. I offer teeth whitening in local clinics as my machine is mobile and get very good results from very happy clients. I charge £249 per 1 hour treatment which is HALF that charged by local dentist for a home use tray system. I am honest with clients and tell them this is a lightening and brightening process and will not give Hollywood white - you can only bring enamel up to its natural white colour and not beyond that.
As usual the trouble is there are a few bad clinics out there, doing crap treatments with little training and not getting very good results BUT dont tar us all with the same brush. You can all have your own opinion but please do not go repeating negative comments based on what you read in the newspapers - we are all out there trying to make an honest living!

I have been in the dental profession for over 20years. you state "I have researched the systems, have extensive training and completed a course with exam on competency and dental anatomy."
Can I ask what do you do if a client comes for whitening and they have gross caries present would you still do the whitening?
Sorry if i offend but I still to this day pay my registration with the GDC and we have fought for years to stop tooth whitening in beauty salons.
As much as I am qualified and fully traind in tooth whitening procedures I still would not carry this out outwith a dental practice.
Sorry rant over

Latest posts

Back