Smokey grey balayage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saignatescu

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to get some suggestions on hair toners or if anyone can give me some advice.
My client has been colouring her hair black for a few years with Box colour. Last year in December she decided she wants a smokey grey balayage. She wants to keep the roots dark so a level 3 ( her natural hair colour is a level 2 with 30% grey around the hairline) and have a smokey grey balayage on the rest. I did first session in December with roots 3/0 (Wella) and bleach with 9% and did another 3 lightening sessions with the roots and bleach so far. She has a bob haircut so each time we Colour we also cut quite a bit of the ends ( which are the ones I manage to lighten the most). Last session we did we managed to get close to the result she wanted but not enough. Each session I used different toners and last time I used 10/69 with 0/11. She is booked for another colouring treatment soon but I honestly struggle with what to do to finally get her to that result she wanted. I’ll post some pictures with the progress. Any suggestions?

Here are the pictures

Attachments

• 692074FC-7926-4592-879E-DFD6201020AF.jpeg
    692074FC-7926-4592-879E-DFD6201020AF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • 823F7191-A543-4FF6-82D7-92A2A3E760C0.jpeg
    823F7191-A543-4FF6-82D7-92A2A3E760C0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
  • F6BED90F-93FD-497B-87E2-2F1A5D893F4D.jpeg
    F6BED90F-93FD-497B-87E2-2F1A5D893F4D.jpeg
    672 KB · Views: 76
  • 0E701A00-8BEA-4D14-9B16-D52D78C2320F.jpeg
    0E701A00-8BEA-4D14-9B16-D52D78C2320F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
I don’t understand why you chose to bleach it regularly instead of using a colour reducer at the first appointment to remove the box dye build up?

By the time you’ve lightened it enough to tone it grey, the cuticle layer will be far too damaged to keep any colour in.

I don’t understand why you chose to bleach it regularly instead of using a colour reducer at the first appointment to remove the box dye build up?

By the time you’ve lightened it enough to tone it grey, the cuticle layer will be far too damaged to keep any colour in.
Thank you for the reply! I completely forgot to say that I have stopped it on the first session But it didn’t do much, stripped more from the back not much in the front, probably she want apply colour more often on her T section. You have to remember that her natural hair colour is almost black and at the beginning She only wanted the very ends grey and not every section so quite dimensional balayage. She changed her mind after wanted more grey. unfortunately her natural hair colour lifts very slowly.

Thank you for the reply! I completely forgot to say that I have stopped it on the first session But it didn’t do much, stripped more from the back not much in the front, probably she want apply colour more often on her T section. You have to remember that her natural hair colour is almost black and at the beginning She only wanted the very ends grey and not every section so quite dimensional balayage. She changed her mind after wanted more grey. unfortunately her natural hair colour lifts very slowly.
Just correcting myself I have stripped it on the very first session ( not stopped)

It looks like you’ve achieved a good colour considering your starting point. Unfortunately, to get a decent grey, you really have to lighten it up to a 10 and remove all the normal pigment, tone out the yellow then go in with your grey. If you apply your grey mix without pre-toning, it dilutes the colour because the violet in the grey tones the hair.

I like Silver Smoke in Guy Tang’s Mydentity range which you can buy from Salon Services. Although most colour houses offer a range of Grey options.

To add. I have a pet hate with the expression ‘stripped’ because it’s unclear whether it means someone’s used bleach or a proper colour reducer and I then end up repeating the question. :oops:

I can 2nd that with guy tangs SS shades, normally toning at sink beforehand with titanium or even pearl (also mydentity)

Hi,

I would like to get some suggestions on hair toners or if anyone can give me some advice.
My client has been colouring her hair black for a few years with Box colour. Last year in December she decided she wants a smokey grey balayage. She wants to keep the roots dark so a level 3 ( her natural hair colour is a level 2 with 30% grey around the hairline) and have a smokey grey balayage on the rest. I did first session in December with roots 3/0 (Wella) and bleach with 9% and did another 3 lightening sessions with the roots and bleach so far. She has a bob haircut so each time we Colour we also cut quite a bit of the ends ( which are the ones I manage to lighten the most). Last session we did we managed to get close to the result she wanted but not enough. Each session I used different toners and last time I used 10/69 with 0/11. She is booked for another colouring treatment soon but I honestly struggle with what to do to finally get her to that result she wanted. I’ll post some pictures with the progress. Any suggestions?
You've done well to get it where you are tbh... But because cuticle will have taken a beating I'd use a permanent colour on the midlengths and ends with 3% it'll not need to develop for long though so keep your eye on it
I use alfaparf all the way and would use 4ni (looks like a 3 and covers grey beaut) 3 grms of 410 intensifier to 30 grms of colour on roots..leave to develop about half the time then Mid-length and ends I'd use 9.1 or 10.1 depending on depth and half 410 intensifier to colour.. This will smooth the cuticle nicely and cover any pieces that are still a tiny bit gold...

But because cuticle will have taken a beating I'd use a permanent colour on the midlengths and ends with 3% it'll not need to develop for long though so keep your eye on it.

You should never use a permanent colour on bleached or porous hair. The molecules are too small and will wash out pretty quickly. For better longevity and less damage use either a Demi or a Semi to re-colour or tone.

You should never use a permanent colour on bleached or porous hair. The molecules are too small and will wash out pretty quickly. For better longevity and less damage use either a Demi or a Semi to re-colour or tone.
I get better results as long as I've pre Toned /silverised it first

Latest posts

Back