Smoothness of nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mally101

Reaction score
Hey Ladies, so I'm having an issues. I have figured out that gel polish lifts off of a smooth acrylic nail service. So I started to rough up the nail with a file before gel polish application. After the gel polish is cured and topcoat has been applied, I can see scuff marks left from the roughing up before polish application. What am I doing wrong??? I just want my work to be smooth at the end. Any suggestions?

Maybe your roughing it too much. What grit are you using. A 180 should be enough.

From my knowledge and training, gel polish doesn't like smooth, shiny surfaces. So indeed, roughing it is necessary. However, you only want to remove the shine. You don't want to make it "rough" so to speak. I use a 240 grit for this purpose, as it isn't too rough. It removes the shine, yet still allows for smooth application of gel polish. Hope this helps.

Thank you ladies, I will definitely try a 240 grit for this purpose

I mostly use 1 base coat, 2 or 3 colour coats (depending on colour intensity) and finish off with top coat.

Latest posts

Back