Snow & appointments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey geeks

As we have been warned about the snow arriving anytime now, what do you do about booking people in?
Do you book them in, and ask them to call if they can't make it, or don't book them due to the weather conditions.

This is my first snow experience since opening my salon, so wanted thoughts on how you all manage your clients.

Hey geeks

As we have been warned about the snow arriving anytime now, what do you do about booking people in?
Do you book them in, and ask them to call if they can't make it, or don't book them due to the weather conditions.

This is my first snow experience since opening my salon, so wanted thoughts on how you all manage your clients.

Quite a few of my clients have cancelled for tomorrow & saturday due to the weather . Il still be at the salon first thing but im not expecting a huge turn out . x

Where I am during winter we regularly have snow, with regards to booking clients I treat it like I would during the summer months and if they can't make it then you rebook them on another day.
I don't charge for them not being able to make it due to weather.
Weather shouldn't effect how you book in clients as you never know if the weather men are going to get it right or not :)

I've told all my clients that if they need to cancel due to snow there'll be no late cancellation fee. I'd rather people stayed safe than travel if they'd rather not.

I have had cancellation today regarding the the bad weather,I also know tomorrow and over the weekend I will have no show of clients.....but will not charge a fee due to weather condition....I travel 5 miles into my salon....drive no way,bus train,swim over river Mersey ,walk but I get to work and on time!!

The times over the years in the UK when I battled and braved the snowy weather just to get into the salon!!

I would get up early, dig out the drive (just getting up the hill out of our drive was often the trickiest bit) inch my way into town early to have the salon warm and bright and the coffee brewing for those who turned up ... And often I would have cancellations for most of the day :lol: but I would never have not gone in or cancelled my clients.

Once , I even had to spend the night on the floor of my office above the salon under some old packing blankets because I could not get home! Oh .. Those were the days! :lol:

And with a work ethic like that, people wonder why I don't have allot of time for those who do not take their business seriously? Now you know. :)

I walk to work as I only live 10 minutes so it's not bad for me to get into work I'm lucky I don't have to battle the icy roads!!

The times over the years in the UK when I battled and braved the snowy weather just to get into the salon!!

I would get up early, dig out the drive (just getting up the hill out of our drive was often the trickiest bit) inch my way into town early to have the salon warm and bright and the coffee brewing for those who turned up ... And often I would have cancellations for most of the day :lol: but I would never have not gone in or cancelled my clients.

Once , I even had to spend the night on the floor of my office above the salon under some old packing blankets because I could not get home! Oh .. Those were the days! :lol:

And with a work ethic like that, people wonder why I don't have allot of time for those who do not take their business seriously? Now you know. :)

Oh Geeg... Are we related? I've done the same thing once before! I've been in work since 8am... Coffee brewing, salon is nice and warm.... Now just the clients x

Well I can't really use the "can't get in" excuse seeing as I work at home! :lol:

I still book people in but am obviously flexible as my clients safety is more important, so in this instance, last minute cancellations don't bother me.

I have a client that lives about 45 minutes away and she was due in last night. I just gave her a call before she was due to leave to say that the snow was coming down quite heavy here and settling so did she want to rearrange. She was so grateful I called as she didn't want to cancel and let me down so was going to still come. By me calling to inform her it meant she could go home from work and not worry about driving back from here.

So sometimes it's also nice to give your clients a call to let them know how things are and be flexible enough to let them rearrange if they feel they need to :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

We have some very fluffy flakes coming down and it's sticking. Where I am though it doesn't get the hip deep snow that you see on the news.
I've got a few mobile ladies today and will just take it steady.

Better not get any deeper as my car is a little bit on the small side. Will look like a snow ball :)

Vicki x

I work from home and i do mobile so i am here with my posh coffee machine on and luckily do not have any mobile clients until Monday. I work mostly local so will walk to them with my kit on a sledge if need be.

If they cancel that's absolutely fine but I would not like to cancel them because it's the fitting them back in afterwards that's the nightmare!!

I had two clients this morning 30 minutes away, after loading up my car and digging out the drive I couldn't get my darn car up the hill :mad:, so ive had to rebook them for tomorrow morning, hopefully the grit lorries will be out and things will improve, in the meantime I'm walking up the road to get a few buckets of grit and I'm gonna grit the road myself lol.

Luckily my clients were very understanding and are glad I'm not traveling as they were concerned, bless.

I am mobile so go out to clients. I have tans in for a wedding tonight and the brides make up on Sunday morning. A have had a lady say to me seeing as I am mobile I Should be able to get to my appointments regardless but in the same breath say I won't be driving in it! I normally never let anyone down but it i have appointments this evening till 9pm but if I can't get to them I won't be risking it for. Hope for any of you that are driving in the snow, you all stay safe ❄❄⛄❄❄

Luckily I decided to revamp my shop and salon this week so only had a few regulars booked in. They have all cancelled as the snow is now coming down heavy. Now have the age old question, shall I stay or shall I go!!

Luckily I decided to revamp my shop and salon this week so only had a few regulars booked in. They have all cancelled as the snow is now coming down heavy. Now have the age old question, shall I stay or shall I go!!

Stay, catch up on salon jobs and enjoy the peace! :lol:

The revamp sounds exciting! Clients always love a change plus they love to see techs re-investing in their business ... It sends out great signals to clients.

I'm still not convinced Kent is going to get that much..................

We have had a major problem with our electrics and have had to **** the salon down till next week but are offering a mobile service instead and will put safety first if the girls can't drive safely they will abandon ship and go home but we will be reopen Tuesday even if its thick snow.

People will remember that you opened a lot of schools will be closed but people can get out and about so will still want appointments.

If you have a No child policy then scrap it if it snows badly in your area.

Put on Facebook your open and send texts out even if you don't get any business spend time in salon working on accounts or marketing.
Lots of people will be out with kids in snow and even if they don't come in they will notice your open and mention it and won't forget that you were one if the ones that didn't add to the country coming to a hault.

I'm still not convinced Kent is going to get that much..................

Where are you ellebelle? It's laying a lot in dartford and starting here in Chatham we normally get loads :-(

I am in south Darenth near dartford and we have a thin covering but I would still be open if we have a thick covering. Last bad snow we had I walked to work which took me 2 hours(normal 20 minutes in car), just so I could still do clients treatments as it was just before Xmas.

Kirsty

Last edited:
Unfortunately my salon is in the middle of a village, I live 8 miles away, I got up extra early and started off to get in, the roads just getting out of town were so slippery I struggled to get up a hill, 2 ambulances passed me :-(
I had to turn around and go back.
No choice ...
I called all my clients I had numbers for and everyone said they couldn't or wouldn't make it in.
2 therapists fully booked is a big loss but my safety and of course my employee's is important.
We will just work extra hours next week to make up for it, I know everyone will rebook.
I hate not going in but it is out of my control. :sad:

Latest posts

Back