SNS help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themargeincharge

Reaction score
I fell in love with SNS last year when my salon offered it. I went in a few months ago, and they told me they “sent it all back” because it was “too messy” and “too smelly.” Needless to say, I was crushed. Nowhere else in my area does it. Prior to falling in love with SNS I did my own gel manicures at home with the OPI Gelcolor system. I’ve gotten my nails done professionally on and off for the better part of 20 years, so I figured how hard could the SNS be?

I ordered it all. Tons of colors. All the stuff in the bottles. I even ordered a drill. (I find that it comes more in handy for removal)

Anyway. It’s not hard. At all. My nails look no different than when I got them done at the salon. The only issue I have IS THE TOP COAT. I’ve done maybe ten SNS manicures on myself, and I’ve got the top coat to “turn out” maybe twice. I know lots of you guys have issues too. I’ve watched videos. I’ve googled. Ive bought new topcoats. I’ve tried it all. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. It’s frustrating that I can’t use the entire system, and I love the high shine of the SNS topcoat, but a topcoat isn’t a big deal, right?

Enter more issues. I figured I could just use a gel topcoat and cure it with a UV light. I was always under the impression I couldn’t use just the topcoat. (Please correct me if I’m wrong!) So, I would use base and top coat. It looked great. Shiny. For about twelve hours. Then it started peeling. Not wanting to give up, I thought “hey, there’s some great regular polish topcoats out there”. I purchased seche vite (I remembered it from my regular nail polish days) and it peeled. I bought a sally Hansen one. It peeled. I am at my wits end.

What’s a good top coat I can use on my SNS nails? I have access to drugstores, Ulta, Sally’s, and of course Amazon. I’m willing to try anything. I did a beautiful sparkly red last night from their holiday collection. Topped it with two coats of seche vite, and it’s already peeling away on the tips on at least five nails.

I fell in love with SNS last year when my salon offered it. I went in a few months ago, and they told me they “sent it all back” because it was “too messy” and “too smelly.” Needless to say, I was crushed. Nowhere else in my area does it. Prior to falling in love with SNS I did my own gel manicures at home with the OPI Gelcolor system. I’ve gotten my nails done professionally on and off for the better part of 20 years, so I figured how hard could the SNS be?

I ordered it all. Tons of colors. All the stuff in the bottles. I even ordered a drill. (I find that it comes more in handy for removal)

Anyway. It’s not hard. At all. My nails look no different than when I got them done at the salon. The only issue I have IS THE TOP COAT. I’ve done maybe ten SNS manicures on myself, and I’ve got the top coat to “turn out” maybe twice. I know lots of you guys have issues too. I’ve watched videos. I’ve googled. Ive bought new topcoats. I’ve tried it all. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. It’s frustrating that I can’t use the entire system, and I love the high shine of the SNS topcoat, but a topcoat isn’t a big deal, right?

Enter more issues. I figured I could just use a gel topcoat and cure it with a UV light. I was always under the impression I couldn’t use just the topcoat. (Please correct me if I’m wrong!) So, I would use base and top coat. It looked great. Shiny. For about twelve hours. Then it started peeling. Not wanting to give up, I thought “hey, there’s some great regular polish topcoats out there”. I purchased seche vite (I remembered it from my regular nail polish days) and it peeled. I bought a sally Hansen one. It peeled. I am at my wits end.

What’s a good top coat I can use on my SNS nails? I have access to drugstores, Ulta, Sally’s, and of course Amazon. I’m willing to try anything. I did a beautiful sparkly red last night from their holiday collection. Topped it with two coats of seche vite, and it’s already peeling away on the tips on at least five nails.

Are you a qualified nail professional please?

Maybe it’s not the top coat to blame. Maybe it’s your prep.

Attend the training and you’ll be taught how to properly prep & apply the product as well as troubleshooting to work out any issues you might have.

With the amount of money you’ve spent on kit, you may as well invest in yourself & train in the product you are using

Just so you’re aware, the OP has yet to confirm whether she is a qualified nail professional or not :)
I was under the impression you can't buy SNS without proper qualification? Perhaps I'm wrong.

And I believe she did confirm it. Perhaps I'm wrong again and she meant something else?
Yes please

I was under the impression you can't buy SNS without proper qualification? Perhaps I'm wrong.

And I believe she did confirm it. Perhaps I'm wrong again and she meant something else?

The opening paragraph is a little ambiguous, as is the post which follows, so I think it’s best we wait for clarification to be honest.

I’ve gotten my nails done professionally on and off for the better part of 20 years, so I figured how hard could the SNS be?

Attend the training and you’ll be taught how to properly prep & apply the product as well as troubleshooting to work out any issues you might have.

With the amount of money you’ve spent on kit, you may as well invest in yourself & train in the product you are using

Hi would you be able to tell me where I could train in SNS? I've searched high & low but the only place is Liverpool & im in London... I've also found conflicting info saying sns isn't the same as quick dip acrylic..

Hi would you be able to tell me where I could train in SNS? I've searched high & low but the only place is Liverpool & im in London... I've also found conflicting info saying sns isn't the same as quick dip acrylic..

I have no idea sorry. I trained with nail harmony for Gelish Dip x

is sns more favourable than acrylic? iv'e only used acrylic but have heard of sns several times?

is sns more favourable than acrylic? iv'e only used acrylic but have heard of sns several times?

SNS is a dipping system. I say they are both equal in favorable since dipping system cant do a lot of stuff like acrylic can. Like in capsules and extending sculpt on nail.

Latest posts

Back