So angry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiobhanMarie

Reaction score
So today I have had a girl leave me after 18 months (not bad thing a relief really).
In Aug I had to have a meeting with her in regards to clients not being happy with treatments etc, I said are you unhappy as I feel you are not giving me 100% - what should have been a quick easy chat turned into her shouting then having a 'panic attack' and saying that's it I'm crap at my job.
I explained that it was not the case but I need to keep everyone happy as its my business and my rep on the line so if she could stop taking selfies on fb in work time and post pictures of her work instead and clean i would not be having to have this chat.
So the next day she had booked a days holiday so i just sent a friendly message saying are you ok after yesterday and she said 'yes fine'.... i knew it was a funny reply so i said i can see we still have a few issues from our chat, will you be in work wed or not?
I heard nothing for a day yet se was on facebook, i left it until i finished work on the Saturday and said ok i have not heard back from you i shall rearrange your clients and could you bring keys and uniforms back in to me please.
She replied saying oh sorry i had a car accident (yet was out drinking) and this girls describes her day on facebook but you cant call people liars.
So after we resolved that i thought we were ok then then yesterday a lady had her lashes done with this girl and then i had a massage from her daughter saying her mom looked like a drag queen and why didn't i do them so i said was this lady unhappy se said no she loved them then said well she said they were too much so i said i have not got time to redo ill cut them down.
Then as she was leaving she went i didn't do anything wrong so i haven't got anything to worry about.
However it played on my mind so i messaged this lady to obs sort it all out then i had a message from my clients saying i didn't know what to say to you but i ama so angry i do not like the fact a member of your staff has sent my daughter a icon with a middle finger up on facebook.
I am mortified what would you all do?

I have never employed anyone but "speaking" to a client that way would be enough for me to get rid of that girl.

You said today she left you. Does that mean she quit? X

I would say you need to firstly get rid of this staff member immediately.
When I worked in the U.K. I got fired for making a snide comment to a senior member of staff not even a customer. (I learnt pretty instantaneously that my opinions or remarks were not welcome in the business world, if I had never been told off I might have thought it was funny or carried on, so some lessons in life do help us become better adults I think).
So I am pretty sure this instance would be quite understandable.

She needs to learn that her behaviour is not acceptable in the adult and professional world. Secondly you must also as the boss learn to be more assertive. No personal called allowed at work , cell phones they must be in the bag in the staff room . Clients message or call your salon to book , don't they ? So no need to have personal phone during work.

Good luck with this situation I hope that your client comes back.

Absolutely disgraceful. You're well rid of her.
If you don't get your keys back immediately then have your locks changed ASAP . She sounds like the type to take revenge.

I would of got rid of her as soon as she started shouting and disrespecting you as her boss!
The day she did that she crossed the line and maybe felt she could do as she pleased, with no come back.
All you can do now in regards to your client is damage control! I would contact the client and apologise, saying that this member of staff is no longer in your employment and that she does not represent your company in anyway, maybe offer her something complementary as a good will gesture and to get her back in your salon.

From now on, I would put a phone ban in the salon, phones to kept on silent and only used in their break, if they struggle with this rule I would state the whole salon will become a mobile free zone for all staff completely and make them aware that you will in force this rule if needs be.

If this is how she treats clients and her boss she will not last very long in this industry, so she is no loss to you or your business, just some dead wood, that was in your employment for far too long!

Hope this Helps!

Yes get rid of her! You sound like a nice person but you don't need to put up with her crap!

An unpleasant but useful learning experience for you!

Write a staff handbook (look online for samples) that you can adapt to your salon requirements setting out your treatment policies and standards of behaviour. Include rules about not posting on social media during working hours etc. Do make it relate to your business rather than copy something verbatim.

A bit of effort now will make life much easier for you and your staff as everyone then knows what is expected of them whilst at work and you can refer back to it, as necessary.

Thankyou all so much for the feedback. Yes thankfully this girl handed her notice in on the thursday but this message was sent via facebook on the thursday evening. She has so many of my clients as friends on facebook as sh knows all names which i do not like at all but i am very unsure how to deal with it.
In all honesty i have found myself feeling owning the salon is very hard work, i have a 3 year old son and when i have situations like this it really drains me and i know i am not cut out to be boss. I miss being able to do my job and having to think for others so i will be meeting with a local salon owner in the next week to discuss renting space in he salon.
Part of me feels really angry for even thinking of letting the salon go almost like a total failure but there is so much i dont understand and get so lost in it all, i never have anyone to talk to about it and it can feel really lonely.
Hope im making the right choice x

Best possible outcome. She works for you, not you for her. If someone has the nerve to talk back in such a manner, then they are only bringing in negativity into your business. And if the clients are effected by this, then time to have the employee change or leave. Good for you!

It is hard owning a salon and you sound just like me and my co owner . We rent chairs and rooms and recently employed 2 girls but they worked self employed first so we knew we could trust them etc. I've always found people managing hard as I feel I'm too soft, but don't let this girl put you off xx

When you write your staff hand book be sure to include a Social Media policy. Other industries have them. Think about whether it's appropriate or necessary for staff to have clients as 'friends' and if you do allow it, how they conduct themselves online.

It is hard owning a salon and you sound just like me and my co owner . We rent chairs and rooms and recently employed 2 girls but they worked self employed first so we knew we could trust them etc. I've always found people managing hard as I feel I'm too soft, but don't let this girl put you off xx
Thank you... I find it so hard so much so I have made the decision to go back alone. I was so much happier alone I have worked so hard and lost so much time with my family for my salon that I rather keep my reputation and work back alone. Hope you have had a good week xxx

Latest posts

Back