So ANNOYED

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myle83

Reaction score
Hey all,

Its been a long time, since coming on here..
But I was so furious with this.. I wondered whether anyone else had experienced anything similar..

I am british- vietnamese. I was born and bred here.
I opened my nail salon, when I was 18.. Although, I have been doing nails for nearly 10years :)
I recently sold my shop, as I am now pregnant & came to the decision that I wanted some time off- and not to have the stresses that running a buisness can sometimes have.
Where I live, there are about 3 'Nail Salons' run by vietnamese people.
Many clients that use to come to me, would often tell me the same things:

They dont talk to you
They talk in their own language
Its like a conveyer belt
They over-file your nails
They cut you

I have never personally been to a salon like this, so my knowledge is based on what my clients have told me.

Im sure you have all heard these before.

It use to frustrate me, as I would find many people would sterotype - that I would too work this way too- just by my appearance.
However, once educating clients- I came to build up my reputation and had a really good and sucessful clientel base.

So, as I am off now on maternity leave.. I often meet up with girlfriends and do things like pamper myself- especially as for so long I have neglected myself- to make others feel good about themselves.

Yesterday, a friend and I were in Kingston.
We decided to go and see if we could have our nails done.
We went into Bentalls & there is a Nails Inc Bar.
It was £55.00 for a 3week manicure, however they didnt have space at that time, so we went to a nail bar (Vietnamese) outside the centre.
I guess a part of me was curious to see, what it would be like.. but also my friend was insistant we have something done, whilst we were there!

As we walked in to "New York Nails" lol :lol: (It always makes me lol when you see nail bars name liked this.. because you kind of think.. your in Kingston, not New York!.. I could never grasp the idea of that) we were greeted by stares from the staff (There was 3 at that point) When my friend asked how long it would be for a pedicure & just a nail paint (Nail paint was for me- I was dubious having anything else done- not knowing what i was letting myself in for!) the lady replied, she could fit us in now.

The salon was busy, and they kept getting walk-ins.. But it didnt look professional- like the Nails Inc one did.
So, my friend sat and had her feet done.. whilst I was told to "sit" by a man at the desk.
He then grunted "Pick Colour" to which I chose a really nice dark O.P.I.
Using them myself, when I had my shop.. I thought for long lasting it was my best option.
I sat back down & he pulled my hand across the table, gripping my finger really tight.
With no convosation, I sat glacing at their price list on the wall..
To which he then broke out in vietnamese (Not realising I could understand) to the other staff in the shop

"Bloody hell.. she's just having a damn paint.. why does she need to keep looking at the prices" :irked:

I couldve leant over the table and smacked him one.. I didnt say anything, as I thought- he's bound to say something else.. then I'll shock him by saying something back.

Anyhow, to cut the long story short.. I sat there watching people come in, the staff talking away in vietnamese- whilst the clients sat uncomfortable- not knowing if they were the topic of their convosation or not.
Also, I saw 1 guy prep a ladies nails for extentsions- he just kept filing and filing her natural nail down with the E-File. You could tell by her expression that she was worried at how much he was filing.
I dont have a problem with them, as I too use to use them- but its when you see people using them incorrectly- it gets me so mad! :mad:

So we left and my friends nails chipped not even an hr l8r and mine have pretty much chipped off all today!!

How do these places get away with such shoddy workmanship!?
And how do they survive- with their stink attitudes and rudeness!?
I really dont understand..but can only come to the conclusion that people will just put up with it because its cheaper, especially when you do compare their prices to companies like Nails Inc.

I think the worst thing was though, that this salon in kingston were perfectly capable of talking english but chose not to.

But before we left, I got onto the phone with my mum.. and spoke fluent vietnamese in the loudest I could..

.. You should seen their faces... and the sudden silence, you couldve heard a pin drop!!!

I am proud to be vientamese.. but in times like this.. I feel fully ashamed..
I can only hope, people wont tarr everyone with the same brush

I can fully understand what you mean, but there are NSS (Non Standard Salons) being run by every nationality known to man, no need for you to feel ashamed :hug:

I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall when you started speaking Vietnamese to your Mum on the phone, bet their expressions were one of total shock!!! lol

I found your post very interesting, I used to live in Kingston and regularly had my nails done just outside Kingston (Hampton Wick) by a lovely woman (Hoa Nails it was called) who was either chinese/vietnamese (sorry I don't know which!). She made a great effort to talk to customers and make them feel welcome, however once I tried New York Nails cos my usual place was closed for Christmas. I experienced almost exactly the same as you- rude staff, general customer awkwardness and not a great service! Like the person above I would have LOVED to see their faces when you spoke Vietnamese, I would have happily paid! Don't let that experience make you feel ashamed/annoyed though, I'm sure there are other people who have great experiences like I have!

Hey there,

Thanks for your reply.
Your right.. there are alot of NSS salons around, being run by all different nationalities nowadays.. I guess where I live, the majority is vietnamese!

Their faces were a picture.. :lol: they had that kind of
"Oh... ****.. " look on their faces

Just makes me want to get back to work earlier.. Experiencing it first hand, you dont want people thinking thats the way all nail bars operate

Hey there Nicola,

Its nice to know, there are other salons that exist out there- that dont run this way.
It was funny, as my friend (Whom i met in my salon) said that my salon was the only salon, that she had gone to that was vietnamese run, but spoke in english and didnt make you feel uncomfortable.

Ha ha. I would have loved to have seen that too.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

What a good read thanks for the post..

i also have a NSS nail bar "america nails " why are they all called america, new york or hollywood lol.. i havent been in myslef, i wouldnt dare lol.. but apparently yes it is like a conveyer belt, face masks, no conversation, or consult either, and major over filing of the natural nail..to the point of drawing blood.. i have a few clients mention that they used to have their nails done there, but it hurt too much after .. and the smell as you walk past and the door opens.. phew.. need a face mask outside of it.. as well as inside..

I dont like to predjuidice towards chinese, vietnamese or any other, but these NSS bars put a judgement on the many wonderful nail techs already out there doing a beautiful and responsible job..

oh and the other question my client who have been there ask me .. ermmm are you sure that is gel ??? i am like yes it is, and explain the procedure.. then they tell me that they used to have gel in the form of a powder and they mixed it with liquid.. is there such thing as a powder gel ??

i am confuddled still with that one.. :irked:

I think these nail bars use what they call
Gel Powder.
It looks exactly the same as Acrylic, but comes out a lot more clearer in appearance.

Ive seen a tub of it and it says 'Gelling System' but dont quite undertsand it myself :rolleyes:

I didnt realise they all had those American names, iv recently moved area and took my mum out into the local town centre, there is a place called USA NAILS so my mum says..'oh look they might be from LA or something' lol! bless her she has her moments! I just hope one day their reputation puts them all out of business!

Oooh I'd love to have seen their faces when you were on the phone... fair play to you!! :lol::hug:

I think these nail bars use what they call
Gel Powder.
It looks exactly the same as Acrylic, but comes out a lot more clearer in appearance.

Ive seen a tub of it and it says 'Gelling System' but dont quite undertsand it myself :rolleyes:

ahhh i see, i did look on another "america nails" website i just found ... the one we have is "american Nails".. and the write up for the gel powder and the acrylic is identical, hence the confusion...

I will just say in future, it is the system they use and i know nothing about it lol.. :rolleyes:

hi i know how you feel i get so sick of girls coming in complaining about their yet they still go back cause they are sooo cheap !

No there not all the same but there are only a few such as yourself who are care about what they are doing x

Thanks for sharing that, hopefully it makes them a little less rude in the future... i doubt it though.

There are a lot of NSS salons local to me that are the 'american nails', 'hollywood nails' types.
I used to go as a teenager, i didnt know there was different ways to do nails other then their ways and experienced everything you and your customers did, the things i thought were just 'normal' make me cringe now!!

You certainly should not feel ashamed to be a Vietnamese tech, but proud that you and your salon proved this is a stereotype and not all salons run by someone Vietnamese is going to be dodgy.
I agree there are plenty of NSS salons run by lots of nationalities, its just a shame joe public dont always understand this too.

hehe this made me giggle a bit, just aout the names. we have a 'hollywood nails' and a 'la nails' in our town. didnt realise the american theme untill i read this thread. hehe xx

Fantastic story.

In my town we have "USA Nails" and "LA Nails".

Both shops advertise gel, acrylic and fibreglass. Gel and fibreglass are more expensive than acrylic. However, every client actually gets "a brush dipped into a liquid then dipped into a powder". So that's all L&P or "acrylic" as most people know it.

They also have long (about 5ft) desks with blue lights shining down from under a cover. Clients sit there with their hands under the lights after their nails have been done. I really wonder if these are just blue lights and nothing else pretending to be some form of UV???

We have several American themed nail bars, I regularly go to them, I'd almost given up on having nail extensions as every nail tech I tried I had problems with lifting and chipping, a hair client of mine suggested the American nail bar, and I must admit they're the best nails I've had, they don't lift or chip at all. It is like a conveyor belt and they don't speak to you other than to ask if you would like a cup of tea or coffee, White or clear tips or which colour polish you'd like.....however I prefer this I'm not one for chit chat I like to be in and out. I can see that it could be frustrating for fully qualified nail techs who've spent ages building client bases as these places seem to be popping up everywhere with their £25 full sets which undercuts the salons round here quite a bit!!

Brilliant thread! We have a few 'Manhattan Nails' here in Dorset, (all displaying the obligatory US flag in their windows, ironic as NONE of them look american to me.. lol :green:)

They are always busy, conveyor belt type places. I've seen the nails of friends who have been, both 1st day application and after removal (with no enhancements on) and they look terrible!

Always with cheap, tacky looking nail art, (straight off a display board) not symmetrical, tips too small, bumpy L&P application :eek:

And the natural nails after removal are AWFUL! I mean truly something out of a nail geek's nightmare! :eek: Its a shame these places even exist and I agree with the others, wherever you come from, if you are a good nail tech, be proud! Not everyone gets tarred with the same brush, these places have a bad name for a good reason! :) x

Love this thread!!
Before i got into beauty i used to get my nails done at a Vietnamese place, my nails always looked lovely afterwards but I hated being in there!
Sometimes they would charge me £22 other time £27 ect so I never really knew what was what!
And I used to sit there and think I wish I could speak Vietnamese so I could know what they were saying!!
Made me feel so awkward and uncomfortable and when they did speak English (as you said) they were so rude!!
x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

Thanks for posting this, I feel exactly the same! I'm half chinese half english, and when I worked in a spa I got people complaining to me about 'those bloody chinese places' all the time and it made me really angry (they obviously couldn't tell I'm half chinese) and the fact that they're categorizing by race, really annoys me as well! As mentioned before, these NSS salons are run by all sorts of people but this society just assumes its one race?! I don't understand it.

Anyway, I was in town the other day, about to meet a really old friend from school. So whilst I had some time to kill in town, I popped into one of the NSS salons for a little tidy up, where I witnessed ALL that you mentioned in your thread, being pulled around by the hands, treated awkwardly, brashly, and the be quite frank the filing really did hurt! I kept pulling my hand away (not in a rude way, but in a natural response way) but the lady treating me continued to file rigorously whilst talking to her colleagues in her own language. Following this she started pushing my cuticles back with her thumb nail... I was so shocked and felt sick to the stomach by the end of my experience, is that not like cutting someones hair with your teeth?!

Anyway, albeit a very negative experience, it was VERY eye opening - I had no idea! Its just not right... and I think it is sad that these places are giving a bad name to all those in the industry who have trained really hard... I almost feel like we as beauty professionals need to make a stand! These places should all be closed down. x

Im kinda the opposite. Im American but worked in a nss for nearly 5 years. The money is addictive but i couldn't handle my clients being abused anymore so i left. The men seem to be the worst. Showing their emotions publicly and the man i worked for would often get upset with clients was rude, and just a general jerk. Is wife however was amazing and awesome.
We have "lava" "happy" "lovely" "da vi" nails here. Our "usa" nails went out of business. But now they have "cloud nine" to contend with lol Im gonna rock their worlds :)

Latest posts

Back