So disappointed with myself

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsCrow

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post, I have normally found all the answers I have needed via previous posts, but today I have had a bad experience and feel I need to get it off my chest to people who understand as OH has just said "don't worry you are good at what you do".

Enough waffle, I have been trained in nails for over ten years had a large break and then started back up last November, I use Bio Sculpture as well as Shellac and today had a Mother of the Bride in who asked for tips with colour overlay.

Not a problem, however when I started she had really flat nail beds so hard to stick the tip on.
Then she insists on having them long so I cut them all and shape, she decides still too long (btw I had advised them to be shorter at the beginning.).
So shorten again and one final check as I personally think still too long and yes she agrees, so down lower they go, each time I had taken them down just as much as she had asked:irked:

Don't get me wrong she is an absolutely lovely lady, so anyway on goes the colour a lovely lilac colour and I'm just not happy with it they look too long and too wide.

Finish up top coat, ask if she is happy, "Yes" she replies but doesn't look convinced "What are you thinking" I ask, "A bit too long" she replies.

Her husband dropped her off and said he would call in 1hr to see if I was done, obviously I wasn't, she told him to call back in 1/2 hr, he did I had just started on the clear gel and she told him to start making his way. I shouldn't have but I felt under pressure to hurry up, as he was then sitting there waiting for her.

So anyway I have the whole bridesmaids and bride in tomorrow for Manicures and Pedicures and have told her if she thinks they are too long I will shorten them tomorrow.

I have got myself in such a state as to be honest, I feel that they are the worst looking set I've ever done and I'm so disappointed, I feel like crying.

I've never had to do this before and am a bit concerned that when I file them down obviously the free edge seal is broken , so should I as with an infill on an overlay file top layer and lay a new layer of over the top to seal?

I hope that makes sense and you don't think I am a complete wombat. :|

Please don't let this one incident dent your confidence, if the client had listened to you in the first place then it wouldn't have taken so long! I would file the nails down to size and buff off the top layer then apply a thin layer of colour then your finishing gel on top, capping the free edge with both layers. Hope your wedding booking goes well :)

Thanks so much for your quick reply.

This has taken over my whole day, hopefully all will go well tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Please do not worry about today. Clients can iterfer so much by dithering in their choices and when you keep shortening and shortening then the nails can look out of balance compared to the way you started.

Believe me tomorrow they will not look as bad as you thought they did today ... you've been looking at them way too long today! lol You were doing nails for 10 years?? You do not loose those skills ... its like riding a bike. You'll do a great job tomorrow. xx:hug:

Yes I agree, you can just be looking at one set of nails for too long. When you see them with fresh eyes tomorrow you will think you did a good job. You sound like a perfectionist, that comes with a price! :green:

Yes I agree, you can just be looking at one set of nails for too long. When you see them with fresh eyes tomorrow you will think you did a good job. You sound like a perfectionist, that comes with a price! :green:

I agree. It's like when you can't balance your checkbook and you can NOT find the error after looking for hours. Then you put it away and come back and voila, there it is.

The nails will look fab, I'm sure! Best of luck, tomorrow! :)

Thank you everyone for your kind words. 40 minutes until they all arrive :eek:

I've never had this many in one go before hope they don't get bored in between.

How did it go???? x

Well how wrong did I get it :rolleyes: I've been awake since 5am worrying.

Don't get me wrong I still don't like them but the client does.

And you were all correct they didn't look as bad as I remembered them :eek:

She was lovely said only one was too long which I shortened for her.

Its been a very long afternoon 6 ladies all Shellac or Dashing Diva Mani and Pedi's, took me from 12pm-6pm.

I'd set up a table with tea/coffee, coke, water, some nibbles and of course a glass of bubbly for everyone when they arrived, which everyone thought was a lovely touch.
I had picked up some little gift bags from hobby craft and inside I put a mini bottle of Solar Oil, a lovely diamond hair clip and a voucher off their next treatment.

They all had a lovely time, all kept thanking me and saying how relaxed they all where and that it was a lovely set up I have. Could not have gone better.

I am very very tired and having much deserved glass of red:o

Well how wrong did I get it :rolleyes: I've been awake since 5am worrying.

Don't get me wrong I still don't like them but the client does.

And you were all correct they didn't look as bad as I remembered them :eek:

She was lovely said only one was too long which I shortened for her.

Its been a very long afternoon 6 ladies all Shellac or Dashing Diva Mani and Pedi's, took me from 12pm-6pm.

I'd set up a table with tea/coffee, coke, water, some nibbles and of course a glass of bubbly for everyone when they arrived, which everyone thought was a lovely touch.
I had picked up some little gift bags from hobby craft and inside I put a mini bottle of Solar Oil, a lovely diamond hair clip and a voucher off their next treatment.

They all had a lovely time, all kept thanking me and saying how relaxed they all where and that it was a lovely set up I have. Could not have gone better.

I am very very tired and having much deserved glass of red:o

Well done you! Sounds like you did a very good job and what a lovely thing to do for them with the drinks and nibbles, a really lovely touch. You def deserve that glass of red, enjoy! And breathe! :D xx

Gosh sounds like a lovely day. The nibbles drinks and little goody bag just gives that nice personal touch.

Vicki xx

Well Done!! We're our own worst enemies sometimes and as Geeg said "you were looking at them long enough that day" which I truly believe makes us see things in a different perspective to the client (plus we're looking at a totally different angle). I swear my eyes start playing tricks on me by the end of a set lol.

Anyway, you gave them a fantastic day (and were very generous too!), so they must have been over the moon to find such a lovely nail tech. Big up to you hunni:hug: xxx

Bless you. I am so pleased to hear that it turned out well for you. It sounds like your clients were very happy with your work. Well done my lovely. xx

That turned out well, good for you. Reminds me of the many times I have been served by an assistant in a shop and was a little jealous of the lovely extensions she was wearing. So I asked oo lovely work, who did them? And she was laughing saying you did! I felt so silly. My work always looks better out of the salon cos I spend to long perfecting!

Aww I'm so glad eveything turned out o.k for you in the end.:biggrin: I did a set of sculpts the other week, my client wanted them long ( too long for my liking):rolleyes:. So I did them, I wasn't happy with them at all. I thought they were too long and I told her so, she said they were fine so I left it at that. I was expecting her to ring the salon within the next day or two to tell me she had broke a couple. She came in the other day to book in for a re-balance and low and behold she hadn't lost one. She's had them on 3 weeks now so they have grown that little bit longer and they did'nt look half as long as I thought they were. They still looked lovely. Fresh eyes makes a huge difference. :biggrin:

thats good, im glad it all went ok and now you will be more confident if this sort of thing happens again, just remember you are the professional and you must stress the importance of your advice, if they listen is another thing all together :) x

Thanks for that! It made me smile! I can imagine looking at the same nails for hours and finding imperfections, then seeing them after a break and them looking completely different to how I remember!!! The wedding party sounded lovely too! The gift bags and nibbles/ drinks table sounds a lovely idea!!! Glad it all went well!!!

Give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done! :wink2:

Latest posts

Back