"So how much does the hair cost you"?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmLou3003

Reaction score
Does anyone else have this with hair extensions? I have people, mainly friends who are like "so how much do you pay for the hair" or "how much does the hair actually cost" I feel like sometimes saying "what's your salary" "how much do you get paid?" Does anyone else get this?!

I beat around the bush haha I say something like ' it really depends on which supplier, the length, the amount of hair, the colour, which method of application and how much trade discount the supplier gives me so anywhere up to £400'

Shuts them up :)

Why not just say that....
"I wouldn't be so cheeky as to ask how much you get paid" :p

Best reply I've learned to use (from a few suppliers I use) is to say " You're paying for the look, not the hair". Also, the look that they pay for is for the hair you've installed and they are not to received any "leftover hair", which is to be used for their touch ups. They are charged a "deposit" for the look, which is typically half of the total cost.

Aren't they paying for your skill and time as well? That's why they're sitting in your chair. People forget training costs have to be factored in. Drives me nuts. I'm nails but I get a similar thing

Totally agree with courtjb91, thats the approach I use. Its best to leave it vague so that you dont give them a solid answer in order to protect yourself and your business, but so that you dont make them feel awkward at the same time. Some people just dont realise that asking how much the hair costs is the same as asking how much you earn, they just dont put 2 and 2 together.

Exactly! The explanation should be quick.and concise. We have to take control and be The Professional. :)

Totally agree with courtjb91, thats the approach I use. Its best to leave it vague so that you dont give them a solid answer in order to protect yourself and your business, but so that you dont make them feel awkward at the same time. Some people just dont realise that asking how much the hair costs is the same as asking how much you earn, they just dont put 2 and 2 together.

I would only be like that if I was putting a bit extra on top of the price of the hair, I tell my customers honestly how much their hair is & where it's coming from, I tell them the price for fitting is separate from the hair, sometimes I make them use their own bank account to buy it too, saves me banking their money & ordering for them, it's quicker :) I'd tell them to go elsewhere if they questioned my price for fitting!

I have hair extensions and i have probably asked this question before [emoji85] not because i want to question their hair/fitting price but because i would just be trying to make conversation and show an interest. At the same time if the stylist did tell me the price for hair or fitting i would NEVER question or argue it! At the end of the day by the time you are in the chair you have agreed to the price anyway, i personally don't care how that price is made up :) believe it or not if a stylist told me the hair price and then i realised they weren't making much on the fitting i would probably leave a bit more of a tip, silly i know because they set their prices. Anyways now i know so many find it offensive i will definitely not be asking that question again :)

I don't mind telling my clients how much the hair costs and where I get it from as I only use the best hair

I don't think I would like telling people. Only because they then would sit there and work out how much I am earning. Yes it's for my time, my training, my scissors, my chair that I have just purchased, all the thread, micro rings, electricity to light up the room they are in for 2 hours BUT I think most people wouldn't take that into consideration. They would just see it as money that I have taken.

It's like asking the chef how much he paid for the ingredients on your plate! :confused:
I wouldn't tell! :p

I think the client should know what hair they are getting and where it comes from, also if I was the client I would want to know the price only so I knew I was getting good quality hair, it wouldn't be to do with how much I was paying to have it fitted in because generally if it's a good service I don't mind how much I pay within reason. Also it could just put their mind at rest like before I was trained and used to get my hair extensions done I got some awful hair put in that I was charged way overprice for do its just good to know they are getting what they pay for if that makes sense

I think the client should know what hair they are getting and where it comes from, also if I was the client I would want to know the price only so I knew I was getting good quality hair, it wouldn't be to do with how much I was paying to have it fitted in because generally if it's a good service I don't mind how much I pay within reason. Also it could just put their mind at rest like before I was trained and used to get my hair extensions done I got some awful hair put in that I was charged way overprice for do its just good to know they are getting what they pay for if that makes sense

By all means, let them know the quality of hair that you are using.
You might supply a standard, luxury, and deluxe.....
You could give them a choice of say, bronze, silver or gold.... and let them choose.:)

Price does not ALWAYS guarantee quality.

Nail techs, hair colourists, Make-up artist.......would not be giving the client a break down of what the service costs them. :confused:.

When we retail, we don't tell the client what we've bought that product in for......

We are providing a service, which we expect to earn a living from.
If the client feels your price is too high, they can find someone with a price point more suitable to them :D

By all means, let them know the quality of hair that you are using.
You might supply a standard, luxury, and deluxe.....
You could give them a choice of say, bronze, silver or gold.... and let them choose.:)

Price does not ALWAYS guarantee quality.

Nail techs, hair colourists, Make-up artist.......would not be giving the client a break down of what the service costs them. :confused:.

When we retail, we don't tell the client what we've bought that product in for......

We are providing a service, which we expect to earn a living from.
If the client feels your price is too high, they can find someone with a price point more suitable to them :D
I don't think we need to give them an exact cost but if you knew a makeup artist was using Mac products you would have an idea of the prices and also the quality. Whenever I've had my makeup done ive been told what brand they're using. They probably don't think the price is too high if they've decided to come to you

Latest posts

Back