So I want to be a nail tech

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NodaNodaNoda

Reaction score
Hello,

Newbie here both in the industry and on this forum. I've been lurking and reading on here for a few weeks now but I've finally made an account as I find this place to be supportive and friendly! :D

A bit about me:
Coming from a very traditional strict Asian family, I felt I was not fully supported when I told my parents that I wanted to work in the beauty industry ( plus they hated the smell of nail varnish) so instead I went down the route of school, uni, ' proper job'. It didn't bring me fulfilment and I was unhappy for a long time, because I felt the job did not give me any creative outlet or freedom although of course I am not blaming my parents.
Now that I am 30 and have a bit more freedom with my choices, I have recently qualified in massage and now want to do nails but still in the same career. I would love to build a business in nails! The only experience I have had is painting manicures on friends and of course myself. I haven't practised doing any gel on myself or others. My goal is to have a nail business as a side hustle and eventually build it into something bigger so that I can fully go self employed so that I can have more freedom with my working hours and ability to work abroad as my boyfriend is planning on teaching overseas.

Questions:
- With my lack of experience, what do you recommend I do to gain more knowledge. For example, do you recommend buying a standard gel kit to start off doing gel nails on self and others before jumping straight into a 3 day course for example?
- I mainly want to have a nail business in natural nails/ gel/nail art ( not acrylic) due to the smell- how viable is this in your experience?
- If I buy a nail kit, is it worth spending more on something 'professional' compared to a cheaper one?

Thank you for taking time to read my post !

Please share your experience as I am happy to learn more from you all :D

Hello,

Newbie here both in the industry and on this forum. I've been lurking and reading on here for a few weeks now but I've finally made an account as I find this place to be supportive and friendly! :D

A bit about me:
Coming from a very traditional strict Asian family, I felt I was not fully supported when I told my parents that I wanted to work in the beauty industry ( plus they hated the smell of nail varnish) so instead I went down the route of school, uni, ' proper job'. It didn't bring me fulfilment and I was unhappy for a long time, because I felt the job did not give me any creative outlet or freedom although of course I am not blaming my parents.
Now that I am 30 and have a bit more freedom with my choices, I have recently qualified in massage and now want to do nails but still in the same career. I would love to build a business in nails! The only experience I have had is painting manicures on friends and of course myself. I haven't practised doing any gel on myself or others. My goal is to have a nail business as a side hustle and eventually build it into something bigger so that I can fully go self employed so that I can have more freedom with my working hours and ability to work abroad as my boyfriend is planning on teaching overseas.

Questions:
- With my lack of experience, what do you recommend I do to gain more knowledge. For example, do you recommend buying a standard gel kit to start off doing gel nails on self and others before jumping straight into a 3 day course for example?
- I mainly want to have a nail business in natural nails/ gel/nail art ( not acrylic) due to the smell- how viable is this in your experience?
- If I buy a nail kit, is it worth spending more on something 'professional' compared to a cheaper one?

Thank you for taking time to read my post !

Please share your experience as I am happy to learn more from you all :D
Hi
Firstly, if you have not done so yet, I suggest you invest in a Nail Technician course and obtaining certified qualifications that you can show your clients and get insured.

I have been doing my nails since age 16 but became a legal PA and spent many years working in prestigious law firms in London. I took time out and qualified as a nail technician in 2012 and obtained 6 months experience working in two discount salons in 2014. I have now enrolled at college to study Beauty therapy level 2 full time.

The beauty industry is hard to branch into without qualifications and most salons require Beauty therapy level 2 for you to even get a chance in the door, especially in these trying times.

Just like you need to study to become a lawyer you also need to study to become a nail technician. There is no "quick fix". Find a good course and go from there. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back