So many room renting threads....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to be honest, when i see some questins that get asked i just think to myself "you dont really stand much chance in the big bad business world" it aint all roses and bunny rabbits, its hard work. And if I'm honest (and ready for a hanging) if you dont already know the answers, and cant fathom how to find them without being spoon fed, i would give up now. :rolleyes:

im sure most people want the 'glamour' (yeah right) of having their own business. but if you dont have a business head, you need to find someone who will work along side you that does! Or go on a couple of short business classes, they arent hard to find! because no matter how helpful or supportive we are, we cannot make business decsisions for you. (when i say you, i mean anyone, not you in particular, or you, or even you, lol).

every business is unique, it has many varying factors. we simply cant give advice unless we are involved in the business and know every aspect of it, the background of the person, the location of the business, the target clientelle, the budget.

...But what we CAN and WILL happily help with is technical glitches with your service, awkward clients, persistent lifters (although im pretty sure you will be ignored on this one though as it has been answered a GAJILLION times before lol), even down to the health and safety aspects of running a salon, as they will be pretty much standard from district to district, with the odd exception.

so please think about what you are asking, i know the geeks are all awesome, lol, but we dont have the answers to everything!!

Asking questions in my opinion is good
but
there is that search button too, like said already its good to do a quick search to see if its been covered before, and i hold my hands up, i have got a bit eager in the past and posted before checking the archives.

When setting up in business there are so many things you don't know and it is great to get help and advice from others but you have to do your research too. Business skills can be learnt but you do have to put in the time and effort, its not easy and there is no let up, even when you have a good client list you must keep working at it to keep them.

I'm happy to give out advice, i was given alot when i started but i am more inclined to give advice on how to find out for yourself in the long run its better for you, as well as this we all go about things differently, in as much as what works for me, my business and my clients may not work for you and yours.

i imagine alot of people who post questions may already know the answer but just want to run it by someone more experienced, we can be a bit of an intimadating lot at times, how many times have we read...'i've been lurking for a while but been too scared to post' not because we're mean and horrid but because there is a wealth of talent and experience on here.

Good luck to anyone starting out, i started renting rooms 19 months ago and it was the best thing i ever did, the current financial status of th uk may not be great but people still need a little treat so i don't think its the worst time to set up xx:)

well im goin to add my tupence worth to lol

i agree questions are good but not when its making all the decisions for u with no input from the poster.

but quite frankly what really is the problem with re-asking a question that might have already been asked? is there a law or rule stating this is not on??

people are joining all the time, they dont know all the functions of this site so don't realise there's a search facility, and the point i really want to make is that even if they do, and re ask an 'old' question there maybe new views from the newbies that have joined which can give a great new angle on things, the newbies wont be searching to answer old questions, so we wouldn't get their input otherwise would we?

if people have issues with it, then don't post a reply or advise its been covered already and suggest the link. this is a forum for advise and sharing problems and worries, any one who has re asked a question has only done what they thought this place was for

I love answering posts and helping newbie geeks and I dont think any of Oldie/Experienced geeks mind at all and if I dont wanna answer I dont - there are many posts on here with people asking me to do their homework and I dont even read them and I am a teacher as I really dont think it helps. when it comes to business I REALLY do not want to see other geeks fail and yes I do question why people dont seem to know the basics.
This started with me asking why so many room renting threads? one answer could have been there is a surge in salon owners who need extra revenue and are asking the sub-lets to find out how much they should pay but that is not what came back. What is emerging is a lack of business sense or confidence from posters this is something that we are helping anyone who is considering room renting at the moment to consider.

but we arent ever goin to know everything before we start out, we are only human and we learn as we go, be it growing up and learning to spell or opening a business and finding out the pitfalls. if we did wait til we knew everything we would never get in business.

iv been self employed for 6 years exactly in a few days, i started out at 20 not really knowing half of what i do now, no major slip ups along the way which im thankful for but theres lots of little things which iv learnt which, in a perfect world, would of been great to know.

does this mean iv not got a business head....not at all, i pride myself on my business head and have helped my own clients get off the ground with their own businesses when they'v asked for advice and they are goin great guns as to am i.

it probably is the fact that peoples belts have tightened as to why there are more posts on the subject, and like iv said, i agree with the fact of not doing everything for the postee, but on the other we all need to start somewhere to grasp the concepts and who better to ask then our fellow peers :)

Blu your completely right your learn your own way and its the best thing! My concern that people will get taken for a ride, end their careers or lose money just because they were too eager to jump in and didnt consider things properly. Sometimes I am so shocked by other geeks stories.

but quite frankly what really is the problem with re-asking a question that might have already been asked? is there a law or rule stating this is not on??

As a matter of fact, there is!! lol:

http://www.salongeek.com/how-do-stuff-site/31101-commandments-geek.html

7 - Thou shalt search for thy answersHave a burning question? So have thousands of others (where do you think the 500,000 posts have come from?). Try a search to find your answer. If you cant find it or you are not fulfilled with the results feel free to post away!

Im pretty sure all newbies get pointed to the geek commandments when they join, its been so long since i joined i realy dont remember! lol.

and i completely agree with everything u have just said, but i also know u are never goin to change those kind of people,

there are leaders and followers in the world, as to there are niave and more understanding people to. it takes all sorts and i really hope for everyones sakes if it helps one person to think before they jump its a great thing. but its never goin to change everyone in that situation. all we can do is hope and keep answering the posts when they come up to encourage them what to do and not to do

please dont take any of my replys on here as having a go....im not and dont want it to be misconstrood as so often is in written words, we are all for the same cause and its brilliant the fact we can ask our peers who are actually our competitors for advise and opinions, keep up the great work everyone :)

7 - Thou shalt search for thy answersHave a burning question? So have thousands of others (where do you think the 500,000 posts have come from?). Try a search to find your answer. If you cant find it or you are not fulfilled with the results feel free to post away!

Im pretty sure all newbies get pointed to the geek commandments when they join, its been so long since i joined i realy dont remember! lol.

lol! fair enough i stand corrected....but i still see no harm in the actual principle its just the fact they are trying to keep posts down which is absolutely fine by me :)

This is what I looked at before I posted questions!

Latest posts

Back