So quiet!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xbeautyx

Reaction score
Hi, im currently working in a hair and beauty salon on a self emoyed basis doing beauty, its my first year and after a fantastic summer i am now barley covering my rent! I know its a case of just sitting tight and im hoping for a christmas rush but i've tried everything to get some business drummed up for the past two months now and it doesnt look to be picking up. I've done a advert in our local link, flyered, special offers on facebook and rang local businesses to offer them a disscount on their first visits. From experiance can this be normal, as like i say its my first year and im wondering which months others find quiet. I realise each salon will differ but any advice is greatly appriciated x

Hi, im currently working in a hair and beauty salon on a self emoyed basis doing beauty, its my first year and after a fantastic summer i am now barley covering my rent! I know its a case of just sitting tight and im hoping for a christmas rush but i've tried everything to get some business drummed up for the past two months now and it doesnt look to be picking up. I've done a advert in our local link, flyered, special offers on facebook and rang local businesses to offer them a disscount on their first visits. From experiance can this be normal, as like i say its my first year and im wondering which months others find quiet. I realise each salon will differ but any advice is greatly appriciated x
I'll just ad i've been doing beauty for 10 years but working for myself for 2 years. Ive brought my mobile clients along with me to the salon, and get to do treatments on the salons exsisting clients, I took the room on as i was getting busier and felt this was the natural progression on from being just mobile. Xxx

Chill.....
Try not to worry...I swear, people can smell your fear...:eek::eek::eek::eek:.
I've had a few VERY QUIET days, but I'm not bothered...JUST BORED!:p
Spend your time getting yourself organised for the Christmas rush....It's just around the corner.:)

Usually October can quieten down in retail too, and business due to people holding fire on money before Xmas, so try not to stress too much, I'm doing the same as you this week and starting in a little room in hairdressers. If the hairdresser is kind and helpful, maybe they could send out a text to their clients due in that next month an offer with you? X

October can be a very quiet month in most retail and salon/spa environments - I worked in them all! I know it doesn't help as you still need to earn, but it will pick up. If your quiet then use this time productively to maybe plan for next year, events, catch up on paper work as you'll find come the end of this month you'll be too busy to think! X

Thanks for your replies! I will keep calm and take it a rough patch! Just got to stay positive and doing my best and im sure it'll get busy over xmas. X

Also does anyone do any offers leading into jan/feb when everyones paying off christmas? X

Also does anyone do any offers leading into jan/feb when everyones paying off christmas? X
Yes the time to get your January offer out is in the gift packs you retail IE a £5/10 voucher to use in January only against a treatment over £20 etc - I always do this! Also I send eshots out to all clients on my database on a regular basis. If your not using salon software? Then look at giving a Xmas card to every client in December with a voucher to use in January. I'd also get planning any valentines events now and Mother's Day etc, start promoting events etc 6 weeks prior xx

September/October time is usually quiet for me. Most of my clients are mums and this is the time that they have had to pay out for new uniforms and getting back in to the school run routine. I usually pick up again around Halloween weekend (kids are at halloween parties and mum needs to be pampered) and then there is the xmas rush.

Have you tried placing an ad on Gumtree? also try and use this quiet time to start your marketing plan for the festive season. Take deposits for xmas week to secure slots and dont advertise yourself as not so busy on facebook and social media. Paint designs on your own nails take phoos post them, start conversations on social media to engage people. This business takes alot of patience and years to build up a client base that has you busy daily. Just relax and think positive. Desperation will scare people away!

Am taking advantage of the quiet time to decorate and get our new flooring put down and have a deep clean everywhere

Am taking advantage of the quiet time to decorate and get our new flooring put down and have a deep clean everywhere
Perfect use of quiet periods! Clients appreciate it too :)

Hi.

I was in tears last week to my partner cause it was quiet. This week has been really busy again - october/November/Jan are always funny months but I used my time to go over things with staff so everything is ready for Christmas. I booked training and also I'm texting all clients with new treatments etc so far it's working. Don't stress xxx

Really concentrate on the customers that are coming in, make whatever treatment you're doing perfect! Word of mouth is the best advertising! Perhaps start a loyalty scheme? Mine is very popular! When a customer leaves ask them to book their Christmas appointment as 'it's filling up fast' Christmas Eve has been fully booked for two months for me and try and get vouchers sold for jan/fab and Christmas xxx

Christmas eve is booked out already for me too! Going to sit down later to make a plan for dec/jan/Feb. Thinking of offering incentive to prebook in jan/Feb. Maybe complimentary conditioning treatment or 10%off their bill.

I'm starting to pick up again now thankfully and have lots of Christmas appointments made. I'm now asking clients when they want their next appointment for as I'd never really pushed this before. I'd just ask if they wanted to make one now or call when they needed it.

I'm quiet too :-(

ALWAYS offer to book their next appointment before they leave....
It is not too pushy. You're just being helpful.

I always re- book them whilst they are in the salon.
This helps me, as I'm not having to leave a client to answer the phone unnecessarily, and it helps the client to keep regularly maintained! :)
I advise them that by pre-booking, they are more likely to get the time slot most suitable to them, and they can of course always re arrange if they discover their appointment clashes with something else in their diary!
Hopefully, they will cancel the 'something else in their diary, before they cancel you!;)

I'm starting to pick up again now thankfully and have lots of Christmas appointments made. I'm now asking clients when they want their next appointment for as I'd never really pushed this before. I'd just ask if they wanted to make one now or call when they needed it.

yes you're doing good, ask every customer, mine tell me im helping them organise their lives by booking them in lol

I've just suddenly gone quiet. In fact dead! Nothing yesterday, nothing today, nobody booked in for tomorrow or Saturday either! Really strange. Got a few bookings after that but this week is really worrying. I know October is normally quiet, but not November as well. I'm praying it's going to get better again. Not had any complaints or comments so just dont know what's happening. Roll on next week, I can't bare boredom. I've cleaned, texted everyone, emailed etc and done all my research. I just want clients! Grrrr

I am the same at the moment! This thread is very reassuring! I have only been mobile for 2-3 months and am getting very worried this week that it's been SO QUIET!! It's good to know it's not just me. The offer ideas have been great to read, lots of ideas! I was crazy busy the first 2 months and then it suddenly dropped off!
I am loving being mobile but am very much missing working with other people, so these quiet times are sending me crazy!

Latest posts

Back