So slow, please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traciecheeky

Reaction score
Sorry for the rant but I need to get this off my chest.. I’ve finally improved with nail painting and slightly with waxing. But I’m still newish to the industry and have been a beauty therapist for 10 months.
My reoccurring problem seems to be my timings. I am always running over with nail painting waxing and removal of gel polish. I feel under such pressure all the time. My boss is always mentioning my timing. My dream for years has been to be a excellent beauty therapist and to own my own salon, but I’m honestly getting to the point where most days I come home so depressed I end up in floods of tears and questioning myself if I’m actually cut out to do this . I am a perfectionist but worry that if I don't do a job to my best that I will get complaints. (I’ve had a few nail painting not up to scratch, missed hairs on wax, taking too long removing gel polish)
I know my boss is getting annoyed with me and I feel I am always being judged and watched which makes me even more stressed and slower. I also always seem to have the clients that require more work than originally expected...they turn up with leftover gel on, turn up late and the ones that are fussy and take ages to decide on a colour. The nail varnish we have isn’t the greatest and sometimes comes out a bit gloopy and thick. But this just feels like I’m excusing that because I’m a crap therapist and can’t blame everything else. Please can someone advise me on what I can do because I am sick to death of worrying so much about everything and I’m this close to honestly calling it a day. [emoji20]

Don’t despair we all have to start somewhere & we have ALL been there!! I have a little bit of advice that may help a little ....
You need to start setting the precedent if a client turns up late, politely tell them you will only have time to do XY but not Z! If someone turns up with gel polish still on, charge them for removal! Start thinking smart with your time... when it comes to gel polish I start talking to my clients about colour while I’m doing prep or removal “what are you thinking today? Would you like glitter, foil etc” If they are having a removal get your colours out, make them decide & then put your colours away so they are less likely to change change their minds.
Prep well with your waxing which will give you an effective result, really remove any grease from the skin, use talc especially in this hot weather, which makes removal easier.
Talk to your clients & be polite, but don’t let this slow you in your work, keep your head down & crack on! Don’t be afraid to tell your clients to keep still either! My biggest bug bear is fidgeting clients which means my gel polishes take longer & then isn’t perfect! Success & brilliance doesn’t happen overnight! I’ve been in the industry 20 years, & I still have off days!!
Don’t be so hard on yourself you WILL get there!!! Slowly slowly catchy monkey!! [emoji6][emoji205] chin up, have faith & believe in yourself!! GOOD LUCK! Xx

Last edited:
Hey,
Don’t use a polish if it’s gloopy. Take it off the shelf and tell your boss you need a new one. Be persuasive with clients, directing them to the colours you’d like to use. If they turn up with small amounts of gel, politely explain that this takes time to remove and in future to make sure they get it all off.
With waxing, it’s practice practice practice and your boss should be helping and guiding you and giving you advice, so you can pick up speed.
Be confident and firm with your ladies and patient with yourself. You’ll be just fine.
I’ve been a beauty therapist for over 27 years and still love it so much. Hang in there!

Don’t despair we all have to start somewhere & we have ALL been there!! I have a little bit of advice that may help a little ....
You need to start setting the precedent if a client turns up late, politely tell them you will only have time to do XY but not Z! If someone turns up with gel polish still on, charge them for removal! Start thinking smart with your time... when it comes to gel polish I start talking to my clients about colour while I’m doing prep or removal “what are you thinking today? Would you like glitter, foil etc” If they are having a removal get your colours out, make them decide & then put your colours away so they are less likely to change change their minds.
Prep well with your waxing which will give you an effective result, really remove any grease from the skin, use talc especially in this hot weather, which makes removal easier.
Talk to your clients & be polite, but don’t let this slow you in your work, keep your head down & crack on! Don’t be afraid to tell your clients to keep still either! My biggest bug bear is fidgeting clients which means my gel polishes take longer & then isn’t perfect! Success & brilliance doesn’t happen overnight! I’ve been in the industry 20 years, & I still have off days!!
Don’t be so hard on yourself you WILL get there!!! Slowly slowly catchy monkey!! [emoji6][emoji205] chin up, have faith & believe in yourself!! GOOD LUCK! Xx

Thank you so much for your advice il definitely take that on board! I work in a quiet salon and usually there is just one of us in, so I run the place when I’m in. I work 3-5 days a week. Yesterday I was very busy so with it being hot as well I didn’t have the greatest day which didn’t help. I’m more worried I guess I’m going to get fired. I’ve told my boss this and she said she won’t fire me but I don’t honestly believe her. When I first started compared to now I have really improved, but I’m just impatient and compare myself to my boss who has 21 years experience in the industry. But you are right we all have to start somewhere and the first year as I have been told is the hardest! X

Hey,
Don’t use a polish if it’s gloopy. Take it off the shelf and tell your boss you need a new one. Be persuasive with clients, directing them to the colours you’d like to use. If they turn up with small amounts of gel, politely explain that this takes time to remove and in future to make sure they get it all off.
With waxing, it’s practice practice practice and your boss should be helping and guiding you and giving you advice, so you can pick up speed.
Be confident and firm with your ladies and patient with yourself. You’ll be just fine.
I’ve been a beauty therapist for over 27 years and still love it so much. Hang in there!

Thank you! We are in process of getting new colours and polishes so that will help! I work in a quiet salon where usually one of us is on our own. So I run the salon as such when my boss isn’t in. I work 3-5 days a week and I have definitely improved compared to when I first started. Because we rarely work together, I go through all old college notes, watch YouTube videos and practice on friends and family, this has helped a lot! My confidence is slowly growing, it takes time. I had a very busy day yesterday and with it being so hot i think I just had a crappy day. But will take your advice on board so thank you x

hey chin-up. If your Boss has lots of experience she knows it takes time to build your skill.

She should really be investing in you by bringing you into a waxing treatment and showing you her little tips. You'll learn so much.

So my tip is that if you know you're going to struggle with the timing, have a clock where you can see it. Do quick maths in your head, and check the time as you go. Say to yourself I need to have finished X by Y time...I'm on target, great, or, I'm 2 minutes behind I need to pick my feet up. You'll be amazed how much quicker you are if you get into the habit of ticking off your progress every 5 minutes.

Get organised in your treatment room. Bring the trolley to you, don't walk to the other end of the couch. Place the bin where convenient, position the client under good light - don't be afraid to switch ends and put the client's head at the feet end of the couch if the light is better at one end of the couch.

Give the client feedback. Tell them if their skin is a bit dry and explain this is why they have ingrowing hairs and regrowth of different length. Recommend that they have an exfoliating treatment with you before their waxing OR buy a scrub to use at home. Explain the regrowth cycle and encourage them to book back in in 4 weeks time for best results. Basically put the client in control of results - tell them you've done your best in the time you have available but you want them to have superb results and you need them to understand what they need to do to give them these results.

With nail appointments - don't overthink things. Let the products do the work and watch your timings moving on to the next section of the treatment on schedule. Explain no moisturising = dry cuticles = less perfect results. And don't fuss, complement the clients colour choice, say how nice you think it looks on her.

Remember early finish equals time for a wee and a cup of tea.

Also just another thought ...wear a “shelf sitter!” In other words colours that aren’t popular wear them yourself! You’d be surprised how many clients will say they like the colour that you’re wearing & want it on themselves!

Such positive advice from all the geeks above, it is so hard to fall fowl of our own doubts. Yes even those of us with decades of experience have doubts from time to time. Your boss has not fired you so just go with it.
Ask your boss if she can help you out with say gel polish removal. Half way to getting it off quickly is taking the top coat off with your file , down to the colour...which you will see on your white paper .Plenty of remover . I mean a lot. Especially if it is a brand like Gellux. A good gel remover tool is essential. I use Orly or Tweezerman to help me get it off.
As for waxing, apply nearly all the lower leg at the same time ( obviously one front or back of lower leg) Then take the strip and very quickly rip off. That does speed things up if I am rushing.

I have a clock facing me when I am doing feet and fingers , so that I keep on time. Then a clock on my shelf near to my couch when I am doing facials to keep me on track. I used to have a fob on my tunic, but didn't replace it when it broke some years ago.

New polish goes on like a dream and so fast, so yes as Zoe says - get rid of the gloopy rubbish. Top coat is sometimes a nightmare when it goes stickier...get some polish thinner or throw it out. Makes life easier for yourself.

Nail colour choices- OMG they don't half faff about... takes them such a painfully long time, so I sometimes suggest what is trending, matches their skintone etc. Or what they had on a year ago to encourage them to decide. "Oh yes, they say I did like that colour!" hey presto decided at last . Yes put them away so that they don't change their mind. We sometimes agree on their next colour in a few weeks time...I write it down so that it is decided even before they get to me. So much better to get just that one out, so no time is wasted.

Can I ask you what your timings actually are for say
Waxing treatents- Mine have multiple at the same appointment plus tinting of eyelash/ brows.
Gel nails off/on.
Manicures
Just to see if her expections are unreasonable for a newly qualified beautician.
Good luck x

Also just another thought ...wear a “shelf sitter!” In other words colours that aren’t popular wear them yourself! You’d be surprised how many clients will say they like the colour that you’re wearing & want it on themselves!

Thank you so much for your advice! My boss is very understanding and keeps telling me in the first year she made loads of mistakes, it’s a learning curb! I’m trying to look at how my confidence has grown over the 10 months and it really has! She does show me some tips on how to do things easier but because she’s always busy she doesn’t have a lot of time to show me. Please tell me you were rubbish too when you first started [emoji23] I’m not allowed to wear nail varnish at work as a couple of clients have allergies to it but thank you x

Such positive advice from all the geeks above, it is so hard to fall fowl of our own doubts. Yes even those of us with decades of experience have doubts from time to time. Your boss has not fired you so just go with it.
Ask your boss if she can help you out with say gel polish removal. Half way to getting it off quickly is taking the top coat off with your file , down to the colour...which you will see on your white paper .Plenty of remover . I mean a lot. Especially if it is a brand like Gellux. A good gel remover tool is essential. I use Orly or Tweezerman to help me get it off.
As for waxing, apply nearly all the lower leg at the same time ( obviously one front or back of lower leg) Then take the strip and very quickly rip off. That does speed things up if I am rushing.

I have a clock facing me when I am doing feet and fingers , so that I keep on time. Then a clock on my shelf near to my couch when I am doing facials to keep me on track. I used to have a fob on my tunic, but didn't replace it when it broke some years ago.

New polish goes on like a dream and so fast, so yes as Zoe says - get rid of the gloopy rubbish. Top coat is sometimes a nightmare when it goes stickier...get some polish thinner or throw it out. Makes life easier for yourself.

Nail colour choices- OMG they don't half faff about... takes them such a painfully long time, so I sometimes suggest what is trending, matches their skintone etc. Or what they had on a year ago to encourage them to decide. "Oh yes, they say I did like that colour!" hey presto decided at last . Yes put them away so that they don't change their mind. We sometimes agree on their next colour in a few weeks time...I write it down so that it is decided even before they get to me. So much better to get just that one out, so no time is wasted.

Can I ask you what your timings actually are for say
Waxing treatents- Mine have multiple at the same appointment plus tinting of eyelash/ brows.
Gel nails off/on.
Manicures
Just to see if her expections are unreasonable for a newly qualified beautician.
Good luck x

Waxing- 1/2 leg 30-45 mins
Whole leg 45-1 hour
Eyebrow- 5-10 mins
Bikini- 20-40 mins
Brazilian/Hollywood-20-45 mins

Gel polish removal I had 2 clients on wearing mysterious gel and it took nearly 2 hours! My boss bought actual acetone and lint free pads to use. This has helped sooo much! I’m getting it off in 20-30 mins now
Manicure and pedicure- 1 hour- 1 hour 10 mins

Hope that helps
x

Mysterious Gel - we've all had a few of those! I won't remove gel that isn't mine, it isn't worth my time.

As for waxing - I was remedial! Honestly my worst treatment. I worked and worked at it. It's now my most recommended treatment referral. I'm not super fast, but I'm usually 30 mins for a full leg. I don't do nails very often any more so I've slowed down. My daughter can do gel nails in 25 mins, I need about 35 mins to be on the safe side. I've got a pedi tomorrow, luxury paraffin dip with gel polish, I think I've got 1 hour 10 mins but I'm hoping to finish in an hour. I'll want a cup of tea...

I don't think your timings are too far off actually. Maybe the half leg wax and bikini are the only ones that are taking you a long time. Practise if possible say after work ... see if your boss will let you do after hours one to one with her. She clearly has not fired you so surely she would want to get the best out of you.
I am self employed , but I want to give my clients a nice treatment so I don't really rush. However I want to make a decent living so I have my own timings to work to. Also the next client may well have arrived as I am finishing off so there needs to be a certain element of timing to observe.
Manicure could get down by say 10-15 mins, but I will not rush so I put an hour in my diary , but usually expect to pop a lip/brow wax into the hour as well if that makes sense.
Pedicure again shaving off the 15 mins would be your goal. My technique is probably just as long winded as we did at college, but I use a cuticle pusher now (orly) as well as the orange wood stick with a bit of cotton wool and cuticle remover to roll the cuticle back. I do it very fast because all my ladies feet have had my pedicure for many decades , so I can be so fast now.
Maybe some of your clients feet if you are doing them repeatedly will get so very much easier to do, and therefore you will get the timings down in due course.
If I think of anything else I will reply later on.
Rosie

I don't think your timings are too far off actually. Maybe the half leg wax and bikini are the only ones that are taking you a long time. Practise if possible say after work ... see if your boss will let you do after hours one to one with her. She clearly has not fired you so surely she would want to get the best out of you.
I am self employed , but I want to give my clients a nice treatment so I don't really rush. However I want to make a decent living so I have my own timings to work to. Also the next client may well have arrived as I am finishing off so there needs to be a certain element of timing to observe.
Manicure could get down by say 10-15 mins, but I will not rush so I put an hour in my diary , but usually expect to pop a lip/brow wax into the hour as well if that makes sense.
Pedicure again shaving off the 15 mins would be your goal. My technique is probably just as long winded as we did at college, but I use a cuticle pusher now (orly) as well as the orange wood stick with a bit of cotton wool and cuticle remover to roll the cuticle back. I do it very fast because all my ladies feet have had my pedicure for many decades , so I can be so fast now.
Maybe some of your clients feet if you are doing them repeatedly will get so very much easier to do, and therefore you will get the timings down in due course.
If I think of anything else I will reply later on.
Rosie

Thank you so much for your honesty. I originally started at 1 hr 30 for a manicure and pedicure so I’ve managed to cut it down by 20 mins. Totally agree with you- the intimate areas and legs are taking me longer I think that’s because I want to make sure I have every hair. I spoke to my boss and she said I had improved so much, to try not to panic as my timing will improve with time. Like you say it’s just a case of practice practice practice and clock watching! X

Thank you so much for your advice! My boss is very understanding and keeps telling me in the first year she made loads of mistakes, it’s a learning curb! I’m trying to look at how my confidence has grown over the 10 months and it really has! She does show me some tips on how to do things easier but because she’s always busy she doesn’t have a lot of time to show me. Please tell me you were rubbish too when you first started [emoji23] I’m not allowed to wear nail varnish at work as a couple of clients have allergies to it but thank you x

I wouldn’t say “rubbish” but nor are you, stop putting yourself down!!!! I wasn’t perfect but I wasn’t awful, that’s why we train & practice. It’s like taking your driving test the real learning starts when you pass!!
Although one thing that I remember when I was at college was practising our polish techniques one hand had to be french & the other RED! I thought I was pretty good at painting nails .....at that point!! ‍♀️
Your bosses timings seem more than reasonable you will get there! I can do a full leg, bikini, under arm wax in about 40/45 mins, I promise you YOU WILL GET THERE!!

PS I’m on instagram becky_nails if you want to follow me x

Gel polish removal I had 2 clients on wearing mysterious gel and it took nearly 2 hours! My boss bought actual acetone and lint free pads to use. This has helped sooo much! I’m getting it off in 20-30 mins now
Manicure and pedicure- 1 hour- 1 hour 10 mins

Hope that helps
x[/QUOTE]

In regards to the polish removal some of them set like concrete. I hate removing gel polishes done by other people as they’ll say it’s one thing & IT NEVER IS!!! I use shellac with Xpress 5 top coat which removes like butter!! With other gel manicures what you need to do to speed up the removal process is to remove the shine from the manicure to break the “top coat seal” so the acetone can penetrate down & starts dissolving it! Some unknown gel manicures can take up to 10/15mins to dissolve! Also make sure you really saturate your pads with acetone, especially when it’s hot or if your client has hot hands as acetone is volatile and evaporates very quickly!
However some gel manicures are actually hard gel & will need totally filing off as acetone will NOT dissolve a true “hard gel” hope this helps! X

Last edited:
1/2 leg wax tips.
Prep fronts of both legs a same time. Move wax pot close to legs on couch. One woman I went to had the wax pot next to the head of the couch, she would dip her spatula... walk all the way to the bottom of the couch, apply wax, walk to the top of the couch for more wax. I swear she spent more time walking than waxing!!

I did a KIm lawless speed wax course, fantastic course.

With sugaring I use a metal spatula fully loaded so I can get half the front of the leg sugared with each spatula full. You might be able to do something similar depending on how you wax behaves.

long story.. but I decided waxing didn’t go with my treatment mix, so I do a few leg sugars but that’s all.

@hazelb could you already wax before you did her speed waxing course? Ive recently done her intimate course and loved it but i was really struggling with carrying out that treatment. I am qualified in waxing so not sure the speed one would really help but then again not sure.

1/2 leg wax tips.
Prep fronts of both legs a same time. Move wax pot close to legs on couch. One woman I went to had the wax pot next to the head of the couch, she would dip her spatula... walk all the way to the bottom of the couch, apply wax, walk to the top of the couch for more wax. I swear she spent more time walking than waxing!!

I did a KIm lawless speed wax course, fantastic course.

With sugaring I use a metal spatula fully loaded so I can get half the front of the leg sugared with each spatula full. You might be able to do something similar depending on how you wax behaves.

long story.. but I decided waxing didn’t go with my treatment mix, so I do a few leg sugars but that’s all.

Thank you :) over the weeks I’ve managed to get half a leg down in half hour- a full leg still takes me 1 hour though! But I have got faster!! X

Hi all, hope you don’t mind me jumping on this thread.
I qualified in waxing about a year ago but have really struggled to get clients in so have had very little practice. I take ages and drip wax all over the place. I use sienna hot and strip wax but looking to find a different brand that works better for me. (any recommendations?).
Also, how can I get more practice? I work on my own from home. It would be good if I could do some kind of ‘work experience’ in a salon. I’m not sure if this is something a salon would be happy to do though. I’m getting really down because I want to improve and build a career but it just doesn’t seem to be working out for me. TIA xx

Hi all, hope you don’t mind me jumping on this thread.
I qualified in waxing about a year ago but have really struggled to get clients in so have had very little practice. I take ages and drip wax all over the place. I use sienna hot and strip wax but looking to find a different brand that works better for me. (any recommendations?).
Also, how can I get more practice? I work on my own from home. It would be good if I could do some kind of ‘work experience’ in a salon. I’m not sure if this is something a salon would be happy to do though. I’m getting really down because I want to improve and build a career but it just doesn’t seem to be working out for me. TIA xx

I had this problem I practised on friends and family and my salon at the time did offers on waxing so people would come in. Ive only ever worked with salon system and billion dollar brow wax. Sorry I know it’s rubbish advice but practice really does make perfect. If you could offer discounted waxing until you’ve built your confidence and speed and just keep advertising in for sale groups on Facebook? I really struggled to find models for intimate waxing so I totally know where you’re coming from. X

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back