So who works alone and who has staff?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsP

Reaction score
Would love to know geeks experiences! :biggrin:

Are you happy as larry working on your own or have you taken the next step and taken on staff? Or got other self employed to work with you...

How has it worked out, what have been the worst and best bits??

Thanks!:biggrin:

Hi Mrs P i was working self-employed in a hair salon for 9 months before i left and went mobile/home based,

with the salon that i was in there were 2 beauty therapists 1 nails tech and 4 people doing make-up! as the salon had only been open 4 monthes when i started and it was not it an area where there was alot of traffic or people walking in this created bad compitionsome of the girls became very sneeky anbout booking people in and instead of working as a team some of the girls would doanything they could to get the client, saying u were off that day, full booked etc

So for me i learned from this that you sould never have too many people working self-employed and doing the same thing!

10 years mobile/home based 7 months into owning a salon I have staff.

All going very well but very stressful especially employing staff it's hard as I'm so passionate about my salon but you won't ever get an employee that feels like that.

I miss the option of just having a lazy morning or day off am hoping to get a manager in soon so I can have a bit of a life and see my kids x

I work alone, from home, and it suits me 100% for where I am in my life atm.

I have built up my business over the last 9 years (since my youngest started school) and it has been perfect to work around family commitments, ie working school hours and some evenings. Now they are older I can be more flexible too. I'm delighted to still be here when I've watched lots of salons come and go in my town and I sit here with no shopfront and build my business mostly from referrals (apart from a recent leaflet campaign)

When the recession first hit and over a 6 month period I lost approx a third of my clients I was glad I didn't have a salon with overheads and staff to think of. I maybe wouldn't even still be here if I had. But as I work from home at least when I'm not working, I'm not LOSING any money, just not making any. I've ridden out the storm and have more clients now.

When I have no clients for a half day or whatever I can do as I please.

I have no issues with staff being disloyal, not showing up, fingers in the till etc, no paperwork relating to their employment, tax, etc (quite honestly with everything else going on in my life at the moment I would not have time to fit it in!) Nor do I feel I need the stress!

Game on to all those of you with salons, horses for courses and all that, but it's not for me at the present time. I would never say never though.

10 years mobile/home based 7 months into owning a salon I have staff.

All going very well but very stressful especially employing staff it's hard as I'm so passionate about my salon but you won't ever get an employee that feels like that.

I miss the option of just having a lazy morning or day off am hoping to get a manager in soon so I can have a bit of a life and see my kids x

I know exactly what you mean about never finding employees that will never be as passionate as the salon owner.

I'm in my second week of having taken over a salon and it's a great salon, but the staff are used to having it very easy as the previous owner was never around and now they are not liking having the boss around all the time. Teething problems that I hope will overcome and they will get used to the way I'd like to have things done.

Anyone else find this when they took over a salon?

Latest posts

Back