Soak Off Gel Overlay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annasmum

Reaction score
I have a client with seriously bad nails after a bad case of over filing. (Not me previous salon) Her nails have lifted of the nail bed and are paper thin now. They keep breaking at the "free" edge and even half way down the nail she is having hairline cracks and they snag. I was thinking of doing a clear overlay with soak off so I can see that they are growing out okay. But I still want to give her a little bit of strength to the nails. My question is would I still have to build an apex with my clear overlay gel (OPI soak off) or just put it on like polish? And then normal polish on top?

I wouldn't touch those nails with a 10 foot pole

Treat gently avoid buffing, just final side of shiner as a stimulation. Min filing. Apply gel overlay by providing extra thickness to strengthen, protect and seal edges to help prevent peeling. Client should wear gloves with all houshold duties and massage citicle oil on
Posted via Mobile Device

the best thing is to give her manicures and lots os oil and a good strengthener if u put gel on the it will be very sore u also said her nail had lifted well i have never seen that with over filing the best way to get the nail to reattach is to cut the lifted nail away and don't put gel or acrylic on it until it has re attached for a little while as this will cause the nail to come away agean hope this helps

I don't think that cutting away is an option here. I would have to expose half her nailbed on pretty much every finger they are that bad. She has been using solar oil for the last 4-6 weeks (basically since she started coming to me) and the new nail growth looks healthy. I've got a pic in my album. I was just thinking that with a very thin OPI soak off overlay they might stop breaking across the nail bed. I was hoping to apply it pretty much like Shellac just in clear as I want to see what goes on underneath. She comes in once a week at the moment.

id give her a mini manicure every week, with a paraffin wax mask on every 2nd or third to aid the reyhdration and absorbtion of the moisturising products into her nails. Id apply a very good strengthner and keep them very very short. When they are in better condition but still thin she can have the gel overlay, its not about apperance at this stage. I wouldnt put extensions on her for months.

Yet another case where shellac would be perfect, theres no buffing of the natural nail with application or removal , and it soaks off quick and easy,
There is no need for an apex with shellac, and it has a ridge filling quality to it so would cover the dips and dents, it is hypoallergenic so less likely to irritate her delicate damaged nails , and it will add a slight protection ,
You could even use a little fiberglass mesh under it to help stop the broken and split areas you talked about,

HI I agree Shellac would be perfect. the gel may burn under the lamp if the nails are that badly damaged, also plenty of oil few times a day :)

She is really good with the Solar oil and applies it at least 2x per day. I wouldn't dream of putting extension on right now. Really just wanted preserve the little nail she has. As they are so badly lifted the ends and the actual nail keep breaking and cracking. I suppose I could just apply clear Shellac i.e. base and then top coat followed by ordinary polish to cover. That way I only need to remove it every other week as she comes weekly right now and I can still see what's going on underneath and her polish might actually stay on a few days.

If your going to remove it every other week any way then why use polish over shellac top and base? Why not use shellac color to as 14 days is about it's recomended life span any way ,
if you only wanted to do clear so that you could keep an eye on the nails under then you loose that by putting a polish on anyway,

I think shortern nails with clipers as much as poss carefully shape with file , and full shellac treatment that way it will help it the thiness is making them tender ,
it will stop her bugging them from seeing them ,
the lenth will stop her catching and banging them,

I've done shellac on some tiny nails and even with dark colors that you would think might look odd on them the glossyness has really made them instantly look better!

Also my pinky had an accedent last summer while gardening , and i never lost the nail but it's been lifting a little ever scince , evry time it was close to re attaching totaly I would bang it lol well scince may and shellac it's finally re attached!!!

Latest posts

Back