Soak off gels on gel enhancements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadeey

Reaction score
hi
this is my first ever post, sorry if its been asked before or anything....
Is it possible to soak off a soak off gel without causing damage to the extention underneath? i use NSI which i know is a hard gel and they are sculpted so in theory the acetone shouldnt harm the enhancment so it should be fine but i just want to check :)
i use Just Gel by IBD.

i know its a silly question but i just want to check before i do it as i dont want to have to redo the extentions lol just want to change the colour.

I THINK that should b fine. Although if it's a thin enough layer of gel colour you may b able to just file it off c

Just tried to soak it off but for some reason it just wouldn't come off so I buffed it off in the end

I do this all the time. Works great! I use a hard gel, either Nailite's or TEN, cure and finish file & buff as needed. I apply a coat of CND Sticky base coat (any good enamel base coat will work). Let that dry a couple minutes. Apply your color coats and top coat. No need to use your SOG base coat. If you don't use the enamel base coat, you'll have to file the color off. If your client tends to wear the color off the tips, just swipe the very tip of the free edge with acetone to remove the enamel base coat before applying the SOG color. I hope that made sense. It soaks off in no time too. If I use my SonicTouch, it takes 5-7 minutes!!

Jadeey, I noticed your post right after I posted my reply. Try it again using an enamel base coat and it'll soak off super easy!

That's a great but if advice I would of never thought of doing that!! What do you think the reasoning is behind it?

Good question! I just know it works! We all know enamel polish wears way better on enhancements than natural nails, so I'm thinking that it works like double-stick tape between the hard gel and the SOG, but it dissolves in acetone, letting the SOG release.

Now I've heard of techs using enamel base coat on bare prepped and primed toenails and applying SOG over that. I've not tried it but I might have time on myself over the weekend. If I do, I'll post to this thread (provided I can find it again...)

That does make sense just wish id read this before I re did my nails doh!! I have heard that most techs don't use a base coat when applying SOG to enhancements and I can see why as it took me ages to remove the SOG. I'll deffinatly try the enamel base coat next time :) and please do let me know how it works on toes as that would also save a bunch of time x

I was taught to buff the sog off the hard gel for colour change. Yes acetone doesn't damage hard gel but I think it's unnecessary repeatedly soaking it every fortnight when you can just buff off.

My reasons for soaking rather than filing are to reduce as much as possible the dust exposure I have. I have breathing problems because of the dust from years and years of filing. I use a vent system but it can only do so much and it needs to be emptied several times a day. My clients understand why I soak and have no problem with it. The ones who tend to get too dried out from the acetone I apply a thin film of Vaseline around the nails and cuticles. Problem solved! :biggrin:

Sounds good. As I say for me unnecessary but definite benefit in your situation hon, good to think about if I have a client where it's worth keeping dust to a minimum (as I'm mobile) xx

Latest posts

Back