soaking cuticles before l&p?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotnailz

Reaction score
A friend who I'm going to practise on has very tightly adhered cuticles - they're not too horrible but they will a good soaking beforehand. I was going to do her cuticle work on a separate appointment to her extensions but what I want to know is this....when a client comes in to have her nails done and has to have a lot of cuticle work, is it ok to soak in the same appointment before you do the enhancements? Will this make the nail plate too damp and be detrimental to the nails staying on?

Any thoughts on this would help my planning!!!! xx

When you soak the nails they swell, so you would be applying l&p to swollen nails which would then return to normal shrinking underneath the product leading to lifting.
There are alot of cuticle removers that don't require soaking. I have recently started using CND cuticle remover & have found it very effective, even on very hard cuticles that have probably never been touched before.

I would recommend CND Cuticle Remover, its the business! Put it on and give it a few minutes to work before getting to work with your curette. You will be strangly satisfied by the amount that it removes from the nails:Scared: .
Make sure that you use something such as diluted citrasoak to neutralise the ph levels after

Thanks for that you guys.....will get some on Monday!! xx

NailVirgin said:
Thanks for that you guys.....will get some on Monday!! xx

Jane... you should also recommend a good retail cuticle eraser that your client can use at home so that whilst she is away from you, she is keeping those cuticles at bay. CND's Cuticle Remover is the business as has been said but it is for professional use only. Hope this helps!

Mrs Geek said:
Jane... you should also recommend a good retail cuticle eraser that your client can use at home so that whilst she is away from you, she is keeping those cuticles at bay. CND's Cuticle Remover is the business as has been said but it is for professional use only. Hope this helps!

Well, I've got a "student" account at the CND shop in Leeds as am VTCT qualified in mani and pedi and am currently doing my nail tech course in the local college. Hopefully I should be able to get some Cuticle Eraser to use on my vict.....sorry.....guinea pigs! Thanks Mrs G.

NailVirgin said:
Well, I've got a "student" account at the CND shop in Leeds as am VTCT qualified in mani and pedi and am currently doing my nail tech course in the local college. Hopefully I should be able to get some Cuticle Eraser to use on my vict.....sorry.....guinea pigs! Thanks Mrs G.
welcome :)

Hiya Jane,another Leeds lass lol.

Although sayin that i have no idea where the cnd shop is,could u let me know?

Cheers

becki x said:
Hiya Jane,another Leeds lass lol.

Although sayin that i have no idea where the cnd shop is,could u let me know?

Cheers

Hi Becki,
The Creative Nail Academy is on the West Park ring road...about 5 min from my house - very handy!! Sales contact number below.
0113 275 5719

I've been there a couple of times - the words "kid" and "sweetie shop" spring to mind!!! lol....have fun

Sorry to Hijack your thread Nailvirgin but when i did my course i was given cuticle remover and since then have heard of other things, and was wondering what the difference, i think i've heard of Citrusoak, eraser etc

Also what do you mean by soaking the cuticle?

Lissie Broom said:
Sorry to Hijack your thread Nailvirgin but when i did my course i was given cuticle remover and since then have heard of other things, and was wondering what the difference, i think i've heard of Citrusoak, eraser etc

Also what do you mean by soaking the cuticle?

Cuticle Remover...is a professional strength cuticle remover and callous softener... which dissolves dead skin(cuticle) for easy removal it requires to be washed off the nail plate, preferably with water and a small amount of Citrusoak

AHA Cuticle Eraser...is a cuticle treatment which has micro exfolliants to help loosen off that cuticle, again for easy removal...Eraser also conditions the nail plate and surrounding skin, making this , as Mrs Geek already said an ideal retail item for your client to keep her cuticles in tip top condition.

Soaking the cuticle is really just placing your clients hand in some soapy water!!, like they used to teach in the dark ages before all these wonderful products came on the market to make our job easier....I did a poll some time back about soaking in a manicure service...I will link it once I find it!.

Here it is....http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/20364-manicure-without-soaking.html

Thats brill thank-you very much, But what is Citrusoak?

Sorry I thought you knew that one...Citrusoak is the handsoak & cleanser in the Spamanicure range.......with the gorgeous citrus scent.......

NailVirgin said:
Hi Becki,
The Creative Nail Academy is on the West Park ring road...about 5 min from my house - very handy!! Sales contact number below.
0113 275 5719

I've been there a couple of times - the words "kid" and "sweetie shop" spring to mind!!! lol....have fun

Oh my god, how lucky/unlucky are you living only 5 minutes away, I would be in the bankruptcy court if I was that close!!! and yes I always say the same kid and sweet shop, I Love it, has anyone seen the new brochure yet, I understand they were launching it at Excel.

As for this thread I use CND cuticle eraser its fab and if they have bad cuticles I try and get them to use AHA and Solar Oil as a moisture pack on there nails at home.

my clients are always amazed by the amount of stuff that comes of the nail plate, cause they've never had prep done like that before, it really looks qite disgusting but very satisfying.

Ok...so my shopping list for Monday is,
  • Cuticle Remover
  • Citrusoak
  • anything else that catches my eye!
My poor bank manager....................

Lissie, in my Man/Pedi course we were told to put cuticle cream round the cuticles and then soak nails in warm water for a few minutes. Since reading izziedoll's thread link about soaking and other threads on here I realise I need to start thinking for myself and not follow blindly what I've learned on my course.

I've been told that the thing about some of these inner city colleges is that none of the stuff they teach is "cutting edge", so obviously sites like this are invaluable for greenhorns like me!!! lol....
As soon as I've finished in college I'll book myself onto a Creative course.

thanks guys.......

We were taught NEVER to soak nails that you are preparing to put enhancements on, because it set up a perfect place for bacteria and other stuff to grow....or was I mislead??

Creatives cuticle remover is the business, does half the work for u and u wont believe ur eyes lol.
if she has tough cuticles give her a wee sample too, she'll soon be in buying it for herself
x
good luck

pinktnb said:
Creatives cuticle remover is the business, does half the work for u and u wont believe ur eyes lol.
if she has tough cuticles give her a wee sample too, she'll soon be in buying it for herself
x
good luck

Hey there... glad you think Cuticle Remover is the biz... just a quick fyi... you shouldn't sell Cuticle Remover to your clients; it's a professional product only. Cuticle Eraser is the retail line for your clients. Also, I am up with Ms Matrix... if you are performing a nail enhancement treatment, there should be no need to soak natural nails although I don't think it is considered a no-no in the UK... a good cuticle remover and a thorough PREP should be all that is required! :biggrin:

Can I just add that soaking nails before any coating, whether it be an enhancement or enamel - is NOT a good idea. A great cuticle remover will do it for you without changing the shape or water content of the nail plate..

PS - your bank manager will be fine - Creative's Cuticle Remover is only £3.95 for 6 fl oz - BARGAIN!!!

Latest posts

Back