Soaking off acrylics/buffing off gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Sylk

Reaction score
I am having to soak off some acrylics on Monday and i am very unsure of this. I have only ever worked with Gel and when i did my NVQ donkeys years ago, my teacher was terrible and i learned nothing :(

I have tried to do this previously and failed to get the acrylic melting and peeling and ended up buffing huge amounts off.

Can anyone tell me what am i doing wrong? Ive heard the Acetone should be warm.....

All help appreciated, you would think after a 2 year NVQ stretch i should know all this, but my teacher was terrible at nails, its my weak point (being a beautician) and i really dont want to pay out for another separate nail course.

Also has anyone got any tips for buffing off gel? it just seems to take forever and i have a shoulder problem that flares up during this :-(

Do you think that if your training was donkeys years ago and not very good it might be helpful for you to do a more up-to-date and in depth course...??

This is how i do mine. If you get 2 bowls one with acetone, one with hot (not boiling)
put the bowl with acetone bowl in the water bowl. warms up .
oil the cuticle area.
get some cotton lints/ pads dip in the acetone,
wrap around the nail and then foil.
place nails in the acetone soak. 15 to 45 mins.
should them peel of using a orange stick

I am having to soak off some acrylics on Monday and i am very unsure of this. I have only ever worked with Gel and when i did my NVQ donkeys years ago, my teacher was terrible and i learned nothing :(

I have tried to do this previously and failed to get the acrylic melting and peeling and ended up buffing huge amounts off.

Can anyone tell me what am i doing wrong? Ive heard the Acetone should be warm.....

All help appreciated, you would think after a 2 year NVQ stretch i should know all this, but my teacher was terrible at nails, its my weak point (being a beautician) and i really dont want to pay out for another separate nail course.

Also has anyone got any tips for buffing off gel? it just seems to take forever and i have a shoulder problem that flares up during this :-(

There is no quick way to buff off a buff off gel. Gel does buff fairly easily and you should always leave a thin layer on the nail rather than trying to get every smidgen off the nail plate ... this protects the nail plate and is so thin you can't notice it ... you can leave it or soak off the last paper thin layer.

As for soaking off L&P ... this is not a problem unless the L&P is MMA. Otherwise, the process should take about 20 minutes from start to finish.

Yes, the remover should be warmed by placing a bowl of remover over a bowl of hot water, OR use one of the new soak off systems (like the Easy soak system from Sweet Squared) made especially for the job which keeps the remover warm and has a cover etc..

Seems to me with the problems you are having on more than one front that some updating with a course might be well worth your time and money.

I put some accetone into a dappen dish soak a lint free wipe place over nail then wrap tin foil round the finger tip. leave it for 15 to 30 mins.then push off with orange stick as the other lady. I have never heated mine and its worked fine. however warming acetone would make sense. I only ever have problems if it is nails for u acrylic and thats like cement lol:)

Thanks guys, wish i had booked more time out now 45mins? i think this will now be my "worst treatment to do" lol!

What do you all do for 45 mins it takes to soak off? How much do you all charge for removal?

I have 2 more training days to pay for, then i may do another nail ext. training course yes. My teachers have been terrible in the past, id hate to get another rubbish one, anyone recommend any good trainers in the North East or South East?

x

Thanks guys, wish i had booked more time out now 45mins? i think this will now be my "worst treatment to do" lol!

What do you all do for 45 mins it takes to soak off? How much do you all charge for removal?

I have 2 more training days to pay for, then i may do another nail ext. training course yes. My teachers have been terrible in the past, id hate to get another rubbish one, anyone recommend any good trainers in the North East or South East?

x

I Always book in a soak off while I am doing another client ... they can sit and I can work! lol

For training ring Sweet Squared (CND) and find out where there is a CND educator near to you (and if there isn't, it's well worth travelling to the nearest one). The number is 08452106060. or Welcome - Sweet Squared and go to education.

Latest posts

Back