Soaking off and new set - how soon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb379

Reaction score
Hi there

Have my model coming back next week, 2 weeks after her first full set and she wants me to soak off and start again. This may be because i have had to replace 2-3 tips over the last week because she admitted she bashed them. However, when she rang to rearrange her appointment just now I asked her if they were still OK and she said no she has lost 2 or 3 again I think, not sure if they are the same fingers. So assume this is why she wants me to start again.

Several queries here:

Is it OK to soak off so soon, and if her nails are soft underneath will it be easy to re-apply new set? Once soaked off do you still need to slightly buff natural nail and apply scrubfresh to dehydrate? I was intending to rebalance them next week, could this still be an option?

Should I use primer this time, or could it be me not putting enough strength in apex area, or as I feel I probably didn't do was not put enough product on sides as I was getting some weak spots there, it's difficult to know where the problem lies.

Last time she had a set done by a master CND and she used the Fabric# and of course they didn't come off.!

So I'm getting a bit peeved with it all now and feel a bit embarassed.

Did my sister's last week and her nails were quite wide and my #1 tip could have been slightly bigger for her. I told her it may come off, it did and I replaced it, but it has come off again, it's only this one, should I sculpt this thumb next time as I don't have any wider tips.

Deb379

hey Deb

my thoughts are:

- prep all as you woudl for all apts
- re-balance those still on
- re-place missing nails
- ensure shape / length are same
- product
- buff and finish

You can start again hun without soaking off - rebalance / re-place nails. I have to say there i cannot see a reason why you would need or want to soak off as she will leave with "new" nails after a re-balance - obvisouly this is better for her - cost and dehydration wise

maybe the ones she loses take the length down a little ?

If all else fails and you decide to soak off - whilst theyd be more dehydrated becuase of the tip remover, still fuly prep in normal way

please dont feel "peeved" hun, its a learning curve - we've all been there ! you cannot expect to be at a master technician standards so soon after qualifying - just keep doing what you've been taught and asking questions !

Maybe fabric is better for her ?? dont feel embarrrased some systems will not suit some people.

Re yoru sister: dont try and push a tip that is too small on someones nails it may cause them discomform at is shrinks slightly with product etc, id definately have a go at sculpting (remember my 1.5" lady ?!!!)

hope this helps and im sure some other more experienced Nail Technicians can correct anything ive not said quite correctly or better advise.

kx

Deb379 said:
Hi there

Have my model coming back next week, 2 weeks after her first full set and she wants me to soak off and start again. This may be because i have had to replace 2-3 tips over the last week because she admitted she bashed them. However, when she rang to rearrange her appointment just now I asked her if they were still OK and she said no she has lost 2 or 3 again I think, not sure if they are the same fingers. So assume this is why she wants me to start again.

Several queries here:

Is it OK to soak off so soon, and if her nails are soft underneath will it be easy to re-apply new set? Once soaked off do you still need to slightly buff natural nail and apply scrubfresh to dehydrate? I was intending to rebalance them next week, could this still be an option?

Should I use primer this time, or could it be me not putting enough strength in apex area, or as I feel I probably didn't do was not put enough product on sides as I was getting some weak spots there, it's difficult to know where the problem lies.

Last time she had a set done by a master CND and she used the Fabric# and of course they didn't come off.!

So I'm getting a bit peeved with it all now and feel a bit embarassed.

Did my sister's last week and her nails were quite wide and my #1 tip could have been slightly bigger for her. I told her it may come off, it did and I replaced it, but it has come off again, it's only this one, should I sculpt this thumb next time as I don't have any wider tips.

Deb379

Hi Karren

Thanks hun, I must admit my gut feeling was I could perhaps rebalance them rather than soaking off. She kept saying how pleased she was with them and how natural they looked, so not as if they were humped back wales on her fingers and she wanted them off!

Maybe your right re the system not suiting her perhaps that's why the CND master used the Fabric#. My sisters nails were longer and she has a horse and she's coped very well except that one thumb.

With my sister I did ask her if it felt OK when I placed it down on the nail when fitting, and I didn't force it on as I know that would be wrong as it would probably ping off.

Cheers
Deb379

Hi Debs

Maybe if she admitted to bashing them then im not convinced the system is not right for her ? maybe slightly shorter nails and maybe she coudl take more care ??!!!

rather than write off acrylic (as this is the only system you do at mo) why dont you explain the above, obviously more diplomatically than i have written it !) and try again ?

its gonna get expensive for her if she doesnt take care of them (no matter what system !) and dont let her eat away at your inexperienced / worrying side !!!! cause they will !! she knows she is being model for you right ? you have other clients that have no probs at all, so its not you !!!! remember your sister who doesnt have any probs or losing any so are doing good nails !! you have been trained by the best you use the best (yes im biast!!) and if most are staying on then i cant see the prob being prep either ?

i know someone else will soon contribute to this thread so hold on in there

kx

Deb379 said:
Hi Karren

Thanks hun, I must admit my gut feeling was I could perhaps rebalance them rather than soaking off. She kept saying how pleased she was with them and how natural they looked, so not as if they were humped back wales on her fingers and she wanted them off!

Maybe your right re the system not suiting her perhaps that's why the CND master used the Fabric#. My sisters nails were longer and she has a horse and she's coped very well except that one thumb.

With my sister I did ask her if it felt OK when I placed it down on the nail when fitting, and I didn't force it on as I know that would be wrong as it would probably ping off.

Cheers
Deb379

I would be very surprised if Retention+ didn't suit the client. It is expremely rare for R+ not to adhere.

There are lots of things to consider here.
Is all the product off or just broken?
What is the condition of the nail plate? Rough or smooth?
Is she a heavy handed person?
How much nail plate was supporting the enhancement?
Is she very new to nails or really experienced?

It would be downright silly to soak off the rest of her set if there are only one or 2 broken.
If you did soak off and start again ... )I'm afraid I would disagree with Karren on one point) when performing prep, ther is no need to remove surface shine if there is no shine!!! Which there most likely will not be after a soak off. Shine is oil. There will be no oil on the plate after soaking off. All you will be doing is thinning the plate if you buff again.

It does us all good to remembe that when we do Creative prep, all we do is to exfoliate the plate and remove shine. If there is no shine then don't do it!

Thanks, that was my gut feeling as after soaking off your nail would be pretty dehydrated.

It's just been the tips, on one, the natural nail tip had a crack across it and she did admit to bashing them when cleaning. The 2nd time it happened she was cleaning at work and hit some tiles! This time I don't really know what happened.

When I first ever spoke to her on the phone she did admit to being heavy handed. She also admits to constantly fiddling with them instead of just ignoring them.

I think even she realises they ought to be shorter, not that they are horrendously long as I wouldn't advise it if they weren't used to them.

Not sure how many times she's had nails on before, I know she went to the other lady who is a CND Master, she did Fabric#, soaked them off and because the woman was ill and had to cancel her next appointment she then rang me and took me up on my model offer.

I think I will soak off those which have come off, rebalance the others after thoroughly checking.

Deb379

Latest posts

Back