Soaking off Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yarlett33

Reaction score
hi, ive heard rumours that your not ment to soak off shellac using acetone in a bowl. this is how i do it as i dont like the wraps. does anybody know if this is true?

Yes it's very true. You should use CND wraps, magiwraps or foil and cotton wool to remove shellac. It limits the amount of acetone that the nails and surrounding skin touch.

Yes.

It is not advisable to have a client soak her nails and fingers in a bowl of acetone every 14-21 days.
Using cotton pads and foil or wraps means the acetone used is minimal and is only placed on the nail/product reducing the drying out effect of the acetone.

CND have never recommended Shellac be soaked off with bowls of acetone.

The correct way to remove Shellac is to use the wraps, they were designed to minimise the amount of acetone to the nail and surrounding skin and because they retain the clients' body heat, they are faster and so much more efficient and professional.

Using bowls of acetone every two to three weeks will only lead to dehydration.
It is so much better for the nails than using bowls of acetone, as well as being far more comfortable for your clients.

EDIT: Whoops sorry crossed posts! ;)

hi, ive heard rumours that your not ment to soak off shellac using acetone in a bowl. this is how i do it as i dont like the wraps. does anybody know if this is true?

Your 'rumour' is based on the correct shellac training...

Whilst a soak off bowl works, and acetone is fairly harmless it is very dehydrating

This can and should be minimized by only applying it where it's needed...

The shellac wraps are brilliant and will soak it off faster with less drying of surrounding tissue

Hth's

Though Acetone is a very safe product, it is 'pushing it' to regularly expose a client to its drying effects ... So it is a safety issue rather than a personal preference. You should use the wraps for removing. We do highlight this Safety issue on all Shellac certified classes and of Course here on thesalongeek. :)

Last edited:
ok great thanks i'll use cotton wool and foil from now on really dont like the wrapps thank you everybody

Also you use less acetone with the pads or foil and cotton wool method.

ok great thanks i'll use cotton wool and foil from now on really dont like the wrapps thank you everybody

Do tell? Whats not to like about them? They are easier, quicker, more economical, more professional, more comfortable for clients ( no leaking and less drying than foil) there is nothing not to like about them other than that they cost a bit more ... For a good reason ... They do a better job. :)

Latest posts

Back