Soaking Off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Lawless

Grande Dame of the Brazilian Wax for Men and Women
Reaction score
Please, please! Can anyone tell me of a quick or quicker way to soak off acrylics other than acetone in a bowl which always takes 45mins to 1hr, despite buffing at intervals? This is the method used in the salon I work in and when I do private clients. I just can't bear it and the clients get so bored. I suppose I'm asking if anyone knows of a product. My dream is that someone will invent a gel that is painted just on the nail (not the skin) and removes the acrylic in a fraction of the time. Any suggestions? Cheers. Kim x

Well Kimmi there are other methods that can be used one is to soak a cotton pad in acetone wrap round the nail and then cover in foil. Much quicker than using a bowl :cool:

Thanks so much but I can't get this method right. I can never get the foil to keep the cotton pad on. How long does this method take and do you just leave it alone rather than buff to help it along?

I have found that wearable nail soakers work quicker.........personally anyway :biggrin:

hi, I read on a thread to buff surface of the nail, wrap in cotton wool soaked in acetone, wrap in tin foil and put in a bowl inside another bowl with hand hot water in and cover with a towel to prevent evaporation and to keep the heat in, and not to take out for 20 mins!! should be soaked off by then, if not put back for a bit longer. Hth x

I started using the QUIK soak bowl, wich you pu warm water on and i get the nails off in about 20 minutes.

I bought little things in capital wholesalers (can't remember the name of them) they are like little pots for each finger, you fill them with acetone and pop one on each finger, they are great. I know they were featured in one of the nail mags recently, im sure someone on the site will know the name of them - any suggestions girls?

Lou.

Also works good is to ...

dip into parrafin after wrapping with foil ,then cover them with a warm towel.
They come off so much easier.
Hope this helps .
Linda from Wisconsin

All of the above methods are great ideas!! The main thing to remeber is to let them soak and not keep taking them out to check!! WE tend to want to keep checking, and filing the melted stuff off, but this only makes the process take longer. Whatever method you choose, let them sit for at least 20 minutes before you bother them.

The most important aspects of soaking off is acetone (or brand remover) and warmth (NOT heat).

As long as the artificial nail is soaked in a remover and kept warm it will come off. Thick overlays will take a lot longer. MMA takes for ever! Acrylic overlays or the correct thickness should take 20-30 mins max!

Everytime the acrylic is removed form the remover it hardens immediatly in the air and the 'melting' has to start all over again.

Personally, I like the cotton wool and foil method which can be helped by wrapping the hands in a towel to keep in the heat or even heated mitts on low setting. Without the towel, at least the client can drink a coffee, read a magazine etc. If the process is timed right (and with experience you will know how long YOUR nails take) the foil can be pulled off with the cotton wool in one go and the nails are left clean and ready for a quick buff and oil. Easy disposal and no bowls of remover to get rid of

Marian

Hi there.

This is the main reason I LOVE Backscratchers Glass Glaze! Soaking off takes 15-20mins MAX... and that's in bowls of acetone. Wrap the nail and the process is even quicker.

Would def recommend the cotton wool soaked in acetone and wrapped in foil system anyway tho - def speeds things up. :D

My method to soak of acrylics is:

Soak nail wipes in acetone with olive oil in, wrap around finger ends, and cut finger ends off latex gloves which need to sit on finger ends snugly (otherwise they will fall off), leave client 20-30 mins. This method means, she can move about, drink, and not have to smell the acetone.

After time given, simple rub over nail and and drag off finger, should all come off without any scraping needed.

Cost of glove approx 4p

Deb379

This is what I do to soak off nails and it is very fast and easy. I place two bowls with marbles and pure acetone and I have the client move the marbles while I attend another client. While they move the marbles around, that causes the acrylic to fall off. This way my client that is soaking does not get bored while playing with the marbles. Since I started using this technique my clients enjoy it a lot more then just soaking for at least 30 min being bored. It cuts the time in half.

Nidia

it's also a good idea to cut as much of the tip of as u can, and buff nail down like u would for a rebalance.

As well as clipping off as much as the tip as you can, use a 100 or 120 grit file to roughen up the top surface of the nail, this helps the L&P to break down quicker. Obviously only do this to the L&P not the natural nail, but it does speed up the process.

I was told that you shouldn't cut the tips if they have been overlayed cause you can cause splitting to the nail....you should file them down instead...or is this wrong?

Loufd said:
I was told that you shouldn't cut the tips if they have been overlayed cause you can cause splitting to the nail....you should file them down instead...or is this wrong?
i was refering to if you are removing tip and overlay etc, so there is not a smuch product to break down. also in most cases if the client has long n nails, they may wanna keep them that length. I would normally remove up to n.nail. (hence remove as much of tip as u can, sorry if not clear)although we were never told not to remove whole free edge if need be.

luckybird21 said:
it's also a good idea to cut as much of the tip of as u can, and buff nail down like u would for a rebalance.
I forgot all about this!! This is is soooooo important!! Makes a BIG difference.

Think they are called wearable nail soakers and they are really good as the client can move around and they hold the vapours in, but also remove the product really well as they have a small scraper in them.
I really like the idea of the marble tho Nidia, will give that a go also.

Latest posts

Back