Solar Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tip Toe Nails

Reaction score
I am new and was unaware of what Solar Nails are. I was asked by a potential customer if I did these. I was unsure what they are. I assumed as she told me done with liquid and powder they were acrylics she said no no no the salon told her they were better for you then acrylic and gel.

I was currious so I asked in another Canadian group I am part of whom then posted this tid bit for me. I am not sure where or if any other people were currious and if anyone can elaborate or ad to this however I gather since I found it an interesting read thaat others may to.*

******POST******

Alrighty.. SO… I am reeeeally getting sick and tired of the lies that are being told to innocent nail clients, and it has to stop!! This is one of the only ways I know how to reach a lot of people (Social Media) so here goes…

This is all about ACRYLIC NAILS vs.GEL NAILS AND about the fact that recently I have been asked a lot about, or if I do “SOLAR NAILS”
AAAAARRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!! Not AGAIN! I say to myself…WHY oh WHY do people believe what they are being told by salons who don’t give a care about their clients?! You know why?? Because they are not EDUCATED on the subject!

People are being LIED to EVERYDAY in “discount salons” all over Canada! (By “Discount Salons” I mean nail salons that pop up overnight & disappear just as fast, sometimes have a language barrier and can sometimes be located inside rental units in other large chain stores)

Here are the solid facts... There are a few types of products that can be applied to nails to build a nail enhancement (False nail extension) either with a form (a paper or plastic support held under the nail edge to build out on) or with a tip (a plastic extension glued onto the nail). These products include 2 specific very popular ones that I will explain here-

*ACRYLIC and GEL*

ACRYLIC -Characteristics are the following- *A POWDER and a LIQUID are mixed together and it polymerizes as it dries to create a tough coating. The technical chemical name for the FDA approved acrylic that reputable salons use is called ETHYL Methacrylate. (Just remember Lucy’s best friend Ethel!! Lol) If you have nails on that were built with a powder and a liquid then you have ACRYLIC NAILS ON!! NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS!!.... NO!! NOT a chance that anything built with a powder & liquid is “a new kind of GEL” !!!! NO … NO … NO… !!!!.........NO!)

GEL-Characteristics are the following- *A substance that comes in semi liquid, sticky GEL form in a small tub like container that is applied to the nail and cured under a light. If you have this product on your nails then you have GEL NAILS!!

*Please do not confuse gel nails with acrylic nails with a gel top coat. These are when the nails are built with Acrylic (powder & liquid) filed and then a coat of thin gel polish is brushed on like nail polish and is cured under a light) Also, do not confuse gel nails with a gel nail polish that comes in a nail polish bottle, is not meant for building and is applied like nail polish and cured under a light.

There are differences in these products but it is mostly the technician’s preference as to which product they like to use and also sometimes what the nail technician has been trained to use.

I will now explain what “SOLAR NAILS” are… There is a product that is made by a company called Creative Nail Design (CND) …. It is called Radical Solar Nail. It is made with proper FDA approved Ethyl Methacylate. It is a choice of a lot of professional reputable nail techs worldwide and it has been used in the nail industry for many years. Radical Solar Nail is a brand of ACRYLIC… The same way Ford Mustang is a brand of VEHICLE. Maybe you have a Toyota Camry , maybe you have a Chevy Camaro… They are brands of motor vehicle. It’s the same with CND’S Radical Solar Nail. Companies make nail products. They have different names for their acrylic products and for their gel products. Radical Solar Nail is a powder & liquid system, an ACRYLIC product made by Creative Nail Design (CND)

***I will now explain to you what numerous people have been telling me that they are being told in “discount salons”… They are being told that “SOLAR NAILS” are either better than Acrylic (which is ludicrous since they ARE ACRYLIC!!!) or that with these “new” “Solar Nails” they are getting GEL NAILS (which they are not because it is clearly a powder and liquid being applied!) In all of the cases they are being told that they are “Better For You” and they are being CHARGED MORE FOR THESE “SOLAR NAILS”. Let me say it LOUD & CLEAR>>>>>>They are being RIPPED OFF and LIED TO!!

THE PART THAT BAFFLES A LOT OF PEOPLE...For some incredibly strange reason “discount salons” have taken the name “SOLARNAIL” and are using it in a BIZARRE way...somehow describing a "NEW PRODUCT"... something ‘better’ than acrylic or gel. AND Even more BIZARRE, it has stuck with the public! It is incredibly frustrating to nail technicians who know the scam that is affecting thousands of clients!

The part that REALLY ****** ME OFF … a large percentage of the time that clients are being told at “discount salons “ that they are getting “SOLAR NAIL”… THEY ARE NOT Getting the product Radical Solar Nail by CND… They are getting a product applied to their nails called METHYL METHACRYLATE, also known as MMA. This product is BANNED BY THE FDA for use on Nails!!! It is used to make LUCITE and other hard plastic products such as bullet proof glass & shatter proof eyeglasses. It is bought in bulk and distributed secretly for use in the beauty industry. It is harsh and causes allergic reactions. It is filed with a drill after it is applied to nails because it is so dense and hard. It has a sour smell when it is being filed.

WHAT CAN YOU DO ABOUT IT??……..
-ASK QUESTIONS!! If you feel the nail techs are not telling you the truth about the products that are being used on you then WALK OUT OF THE SALON!

-If you feel that the language barrier is making you uneasy about what is being applied to you… WALK OUT OF THE SALON! (YES, even part way through the service!)

-If the nail techs are using a product that is out of an unmarked or non labeled bottle, ASK TO SEE A BOTTLE WITH A LABEL and if they do not have a marked bottle to show you the ingredients PLEASE, Use common sense & WALK OUT OF THE SALON!!

YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN PREVENT HARM FROM BEING DONE TO YOUR NAILS!!!

We are seeing more and more damage done everyday… it’s so sad because all it takes is a little knowledge and the guts to WALK THE HECK OUT if you feel they are doing something they shouldn’t be!!
Methyl Methacrylate(MMA) is an industrial product used to make hard plastic… people are not supposed to have this product applied to their nails.. It was banned by the FDA 20 years ago! It has made a huge resurgence in the last 5-10 yrs. People can develop allergic reactions very quickly to MMA. It can also cause nerve damage, tingling & burning to ones nails and cuticles. It is so hard that when it breaks, It will almost always break the natural nail underneath causing painful damage.

I have seen nails that are damaged beyond repair :(

Nails are lifting right off of the nail bed because of trauma due to the harshness & hardness of the product and allergic reactions caused by MMA. Nails that are never going to grow back because the nail bed is SO DAMAGED BY MMA! This is absolutely unacceptable.

And by the way, once you have developed an allergy to Methyl Methacrylate, it is usually with you for life. And your body will not differentiate between a safe Ethyl Methacrylate and NON SAFE Methyl Methacrylate. You could have an allergy to any type of acrylic or gel for the rest of your life which means that if u do have lifting nails beds (the natural nail plate coming away from the nail bed (the soft tissue) then let them grow out eventually, the next time you decide you would like to have your acrylic or gel nails done, even by a reputable salon, your own nails could react in the same way – as the allergy will cause your nail plates to come away from your nail beds again & again. I have seen this!! YOU DON’T WANT THIS!!

Why, You ask, are discount salons using MMA? Because it is approximately a third (or less) of the price of FDA Approved Ethyl (Lucy’s BFF!) Methacrylate. It’s all about the $$$ folks… Sadly like a lot of things in this world today.

Please folks.. educate yourselves (reading this to the end was a great way to do that!)

Make the right choices and don’t let ANYONE push you around!! Take charge of YOU and make the right decision! There are more than enough nail technicians out there who do care about you and your nails and are more than willing to sit down with you , chat about it & help keep you informed!

I hope this clears up questions you have about this topic!! If you are a nail tech or even if you just want to educate friends, please feel free post a link to this page as the more people know, the more bad nail experiences we can prevent!

Carolyn- Master Nail Technician & Educator for over 24 yrs

www.facebook.com/barefootbutterflystudio

If you would like even more information on MMA, here is a link to more technical info..
http://www.hooked-on-nails.com/mmaandyou.html

So there it is in a nut shel my question answered thanks to barefootbutterfly studio

Enjoy
Traci

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a really easy way to tell the truth and use the best liquid... The original CND non yellowing liquid was SolarNail liquid but in the early 90's Radical SolarNail Liquid was created and people still love and use it all the time... So when you say yes, you really do have it and are telling the truth and it says it on the bottle.... Hope that helps :Love:

The price upgrade is the skill it takes to do the pink & white with the smile line, not the brand. The nss (non standard salons) sell that rubbish and use a white tip instead of powder, then clear or natural powder over the whole thing, and then use a gel top coat.
Just keep out pamphlets and other valuable (and safe for clients) info out where your clients can read for themselves.
Try to educate without putting other salons down. This can be difficult, but if you bash them, it just looks/sounds bad to a potential client.
Ps. I LOVED the car metaphor. I always used purses, or shoes, or opi vs Orly vs China glaze polish... I'm totally switching to the mustang vs charger vs camaro.
Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Yes I would never bash anyone. I am new so I am ignorant I gather to all the products that are on the market.

I was simply currious as to what it was (SOLAR) and when you are told that its not acrylic but sculpted with liquid and powder made me scatch my head a bit.... so I went to a Canadian site that I personally know some of the ladies to ask. One lady Gina in there sent me the link to this girls explanation and I wanted to share it as I thought it was wonderful.

Yes I would never bash anyone. I am new so I am ignorant I gather to all the products that are on the market.

I was simply currious as to what it was (SOLAR) and when you are told that its not acrylic but sculpted with liquid and powder made me scatch my head a bit.... so I went to a Canadian site that I personally know some of the ladies to ask. One lady Gina in there sent me the link to this girls explanation and I wanted to share it as I thought it was wonderful.

Remember the term 'acrylic' is the umbrella term for ALL Systems... Gel, fibreglass and of course liquid & powder which is your monomer liquid, polymer powder that creates what many call acrylic nails... As a professional it is better to define what you do.

Saying I do acrylic could mean you do any of the above. Saying I do Liquid & Powder nails and use Radical SolarNail liquid defines what you do professionally. Hope that helps :idea:

Latest posts

Back