Solar Oil - Massive Price increases

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karin

Reaction score
I was really shocked when i recently got my order for solar oil from Sweet Squared and how much they have increased the price, in some cases nearly 20% increase.

The 0.5oz oil was £* now £* (increase of 17%)
The 2.3oz oil increased by 15%
The 4oz oil increased by 19%
The 12 pack of oil increased by 16%
The 16 pack of oil increased by a massive 21.%

The worse of all, I contacted them and was told the RRP was the same, so it looks like us as techs that need to grin & bear the increase which i feel is wrong. i understand we can charge whatever price we want, but I find it shocking Sweet Squared have made this increase and still suggests the RRP stay the same.

Other products have increased which is fair enough and as a result is it up to us to increase our own prices we charge for treatments.

Does anyone else not find this shocking?

Am sure this Thread will not go down well with some of you but i am so angry I had to post it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use Creative yet but the increases do seem high how ever, is it SS that raised it or CND?

If prices have gone up from the manufacturer to the distributor then it's only normal that the distributor increases the price to their customers.

Did you happen to ask how long it's been since the prices were last increased to UK techs? :wink2:

It does seem strange that the RRP hasn't increased, normally price increases go both ways:mad:

isn't RRP just Recommended...what i mean is, that price isn't set in stone, surely if you want to recoup these increases you just make increases....??

Its only a reccomended retail price, so if you are paying more for it ,and it annoys you, put your prices up to reflect this. xx

Clearly that is what i will do but I still think it is very poor show that Sweet Squared have not changed their RRP. They are meant to be helping us Creative techs and I am annoyed by their attitude. it would not have hurt them to change their RRP - OH guess there was no profit in that for them!!!

This is meant to be an open forum so if I am annoyed about way i have been treated i should be allowed to share that with anyone on this site that wants to listen.

Its only a reccomended retail price, so if you are paying more for it ,and it annoys you, put your prices up to reflect this. xx

This is meant to be an open forum so if I am annoyed about way i have been treated i should be allowed to share that with anyone on this site that wants to listen.

Erm sorry, but I beg to differ.

This is taken from the Geek Commandments:

2 - Thou shalt not use thy forum to troll.

This is not the place to bitch and moan about proper nouns (i.e. People or companies). That doesn't mean that you can't debate, question or raise a valid point. It means that I don't want to see threads about how x sucks. See the article on constructively trolling to complain in a constructive way.

And before anyone jumps on my head, this applies to EVERY COMPANY!

Just want to add we have seen a decrease in the cost of some CND products since S2 took over,swings and roundabouts IMO

Last edited:
I have spoken with Karin at length and firstly need to say that the RRP's in the catalogue were my fault - I simply didn't update them as I forgot... :rolleyes::o:o:o you'll notice Scentsation Washes haven't been updated either in the RRP section. :rolleyes:

S2 dropped 95% of the prices that were charged before, some stayed the same and a very few went up. CND has had 2 price increases and we have so far managed to keep the prices that we dropped the same, but due to the nature of some of the ingredients in certain treatments, prices have risen and some quite sharply.

In saying that, a gallon of Retention+ is £40.00 cheaper than it was last June... so it's really swings and roundabouts. Karin totally understands my mistake in not updating RRP's for SolarOil so Karin this is for you! :hug:... remember these are recommended and you can essentially charge what you like!

SolarOil Pinkies - £2.50
SolarOil 1/4oz - £6.95 - £7.95 (I would charge more here making it better value to buy the 1/2oz)

SolarOil 1/2oz - £10.95
SolarOil 2.3oz - £35.95

If you buy SolarOil by the 16pk it works out £1.00 less than buying individually so you will obviously make more on you RRP by buying in bulk.

To get an RRP for example on the 16pk of SolarOil, You divide the amount by 16, add your 17.5% VAT and x by 2. I round up or down depending but it's entirely an 'area /individual' choice!

Hope this helps you all and I am sorry for any confusion! :hug:

i dont get stressed over this , any distributer increaes their prices , i just reflect it in mine :green:
when i was a newbie i used to worry about stuff like this but after a fair few years you just find your own way :green:
hth xx

unfortunatley prices do increas all the time you just have to reflect it in your prices's hun as said before its only a reccomended retail price :green:

I am not complaining, i have always charged £3 for a pinkie of solar oil so i am already overcharging oops,
clients still buy it and i wont be reducing the price either

I actually charge more if i want to on the RRP...i like to make PROFIT...LOL:lol:

Clearly that is what i will do but I still think it is very poor show that Sweet Squared have not changed their RRP. They are meant to be helping us Creative techs and I am annoyed by their attitude. it would not have hurt them to change their RRP - OH guess there was no profit in that for them!!!

I dont get it? whether s2 forgot to put up the increases or not it doesnt affect our ability to price it as we choose. I really cant see the big deal here , or am I way off mark?
I would be more concerned if my retention and powder prices increased loads as thats what we get through most, thankfully its well priced:idea:

Yes i think its a lot, just received my letter to go on a conversion course with them and is now £xxx.xx plus vat, i was under the impression it was about £xxx.xx, i am shocked but want to do it so got to pay, Everything is going up but we are just going to have to put a notice up in the salon or where you work from, ie Price increase 50p or however much you think is needed to cover the increase and give them a months notice.

Linda
York

Last edited by a moderator:
They are meant to be helping us Creative techs
Have they registered as a charity then? They're running a business the same as all the other distributors. Don't other distributors put their prices up then?

If those percentage increases are correct, thats a decent hike.
Imagine increasing your prices like that, your clients would prob say something too.

Damn those world oil prices :)

Last edited:
In perth australia our new distributors for CND training and wholesale have whacked on a huge percentage increase, which at the end of the day affects my profit margin..and before you say, well just up my prices..i did. and then the MASSIVE price increase happened.
But to be honest Karin, if our distributors here had something as priceless as this website, i wouldnt give a ****. I would wear it. As a thankyou.

S2 dropped 95% of the prices that were charged before, some stayed the same and a very few went up. CND has had 2 price increases and we have so far managed to keep the prices that we dropped the same, but due to the nature of some of the ingredients in certain treatments, prices have risen and some quite sharply.

In saying that, a gallon of Retention+ is £40.00 cheaper than it was last June... so it's really swings and roundabouts.

what people are forgetting is the above....the positive....the prices that came down...or stayed the same.

why just focus on the negative....

alot more prices came down...than went up.

Latest posts

Back