Solvents?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rinn

CND Shellac EA
Reaction score
What is your understanding of solvents and their uses within the nail industry?

Well that depends on what solvents really.

We use solvents within the nail salon everyday, therefore it is important we know how to use and store them safely.
Basically a solvent is a chemical substance that can be used to dissolve other substances.
A few we use every working day are acetone, gel cleanser, polish remover, nail polish and adhesives.

Misuse can cause all manner of problems including irritation of eyes, lungs and skin.
I am particularly aware of this as I (not due to my working practices) have a condition that causes problems in all of these areas.

It is essential for nail technicians to work in a well ventilated area, and to dispose of items like nail wipes saturated in solvents into a sealed container to prevent the vapours building up and causing problems.

Employers need to ensure there staff are aware of how to work with solvents safely and ensure they are able to do so.

It will be interesting to see in this thread what training courses geeks have attended that have covered the health and safety aspects of working with solvents and what employers ensure they provide a safe working environment for their staff.

Well that depends on what solvents really.

Can you fill me in more on what your understanding is Charlistar ?

I think it's a good topic. If we understand the facts , we can see through all the marketing spin and make educated decisions .

Well a solvent is something that can dissolve something else...... so water is a solvent.... I would say that's pretty essential..... so like I say... my stance on solvents in the industry depends on which solvent. But on the most part.... This is an industry that can't really function without some solvents.

Well a solvent is something that can dissolve something else...... so water is a solvent.... I would say that's pretty essential..... so like I say... my stance on solvents in the industry depends on which solvent. But on the most part.... This is an industry that can't really function without some solvents.

Absolutely our Industry couldn't function without solvents!
I think that is why Rinn has tried to start a debate on them, to see what we know or don't know and educate and inform.

As for which solvent.....why not pick one and discuss its merits and safe use?

Exactly Izzidoll , so lets get the ball rolling and discuss the solvent.....Acetone .

Right, I may well have a limited understanding to you more experienced Geeks who have been doing this for years, but I'm going to go for it...

It's flammable, so caution needed around heat sources.
It's a poison so needs correct labelling and safe storage.
You need adequate ventalation when using it or you can become affected with things like nausea, dizziness etc
It breaks down a lot of nail products so is found in removal products. Also found in household cleaning fluids.
Excessive exposure can result in dryness to skin.

Overall it needs respect!

Latest posts

Back