Some advice please on CND and NVQ :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachy86

Reaction score
Hi there AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!I am new to nails and have decided after reading great things,to train with Creative Nails.After this I want to go mobile or rent a room in a salon.I was just wondering,those of you who have trained with Creative have you also gained the NVQ?Is this mandatory to have this?If yes how will I go about doing it and what length of time can I expect to complete it?I would really appreciate any information and help given as like I said I am completely new to this and do not know the ins and outs.:lol: Thank you Rachel :)

I trained to grand masters with CND and the NVQ was not mandatory, I cannot say if this has now changed though.

OK,thank you for your advice is much appreciated..could some one else please advise me futher?Many thanks Rachel :)

The NVQ is not mandatory and it is not necessary either

Do you think not having an NVQ will hold me back when setting up mobile? i.e. clients preferring people with NVQ's? Thanks :)

Hi :) I did the foundation course with Creative, although I've since had training with Ezflow for stuff that wasn't available with them or didn't mutually fit in with course dates/times available. Both are excellent routes into the industry.

I still felt I wanted to do the VTCT/NVQ though, as it's the qualification the government recognises and would act as a safeguard for the future if they ever decide to enforce it, so I'm going to work towards it this year, I hope. I stand corrected, but I think some employers would prefer you had it <and some London boroughs, for example, insist on it> although I shouldn't think too many clients would balk either way, especially if you're mobile, and produce good results? Hth. :)

Do you think not having an NVQ will hold me back when setting up mobile? i.e. clients preferring people with NVQ's? Thanks :)
The training that you will get from creative is superior to that of a NVQ and most clients recognise creative as been one of the top names in nails hth

The training that you will get from creative is superior to that of a NVQ and most clients recognise creative as been one of the top names in nails hth
Just to chime in with the above (excellent) answer!

The NVQ is the government recognised minimum level of capability. In other words, it is a standard acceptance that you can achieve the minimum requirements to conduct treatments as a nail professional. CND as well as a few other providers teach far and above the NVQ standards. Therefore most of your courses with these providers will count as evidence should you wish to take an NVQ qualification.

Remember that the NVQ isn't a course, it is a qualification procedure (and a lot of red tape). Depending on where you work in the UK you may have to register for the NVQ in order to be a practising professionally.

HTHs!

Thank you guys you have all given me some great advice,I will keep you all updated with my progress..so excited!Wish me luck :)

good luck with your course Rachel

depends what route you wish to go down in the future. My NVQ has been the most valuable qualification i have. No manufacturers training comes close when it comes to health and safety and THATS what the government a is looking closely at.It helped me become a part time lecturer. I was asked to teach in a college and without the NVQ there wasnt a hope in hell. sadly all my wonderful manufacturers certificates meant naff all..I did it privately and was guided by world class nail technicians so i certainly wouldnt write it off just yet..its a great back up- no matter what products you use. In 2008 hair and beauty has been introduced into secondary schools and is to become part of 14-16 education so for me- its more than being in the salon and our clients are waaay more comfortable and impressed when we tell them we are both college lecturers cos that so called "red tape" is quite a mean acheivement and hats off to anyone whos done the NVQ!!!

Latest posts

Back