Something I saw in the Daily Mail - health warning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't find anything about this anywhere where can I read about it

I have 1 client who has already been scared by the recent articles regarding the dha and cancer so instead of having a spray tan guess what she is doing .......
Using a SUNBED grrrr which is proven to cause skin cancer sometimes these articles can cause such panic and more problems.

I have 1 client who has already been scared by the recent articles regarding the dha and cancer so instead of having a spray tan guess what she is doing .......
Using a SUNBED grrrr which is proven to cause skin cancer sometimes these articles can cause such panic and more problems.
wtf lol
some people :rolleyes:
presumably she alkso had a loaf of burnt sliced toast to boot :eek::lol::lol::smack:

wtf lol

presumably she alkso had a loaf of burnt sliced toast to boot :eek::lol::lol::smack:
:lol: hahaha that was funny

I read this article too, knew it would spark a debate with us on here :) Im pretty sure it said there were 'claims' but no evidence??

Is everyone as worried about this as I am? What are we going to tell our clients? I've got a busy night ahead of me and need to be ready with the right information should it come up. Help please!!

Tell them to stop reading the daily mail. End of x

Must say im totally gutted over this article as iv literally just purchased a kit and training after many weeks of deciding and now this.
i don't want to stop before iv even started but obviously if there IS a danger ? then i would so im thinking prevent if possible but just a few questions ;

A mask for myself ok but other advise is said that for clients just a nostril guard but surely a mask is better otherwise it could get in through mouth and they still will inhale some when you have to remove to do their face ???

and are they saying it can get in via eyes cos we can't cover ours! and surely if you tell a client they need need to cover all these they will decide not to have the tan anyway it will scare them

and there is mixed advise on here over the extraction units - i was told 'you dont really need one to start with - if you can open a window that's fine' - i dont expect to be tanning constantly if i was then i think i would but are these really powerful to take away all overspray?? and as these are on the floor wouldn't they still inhale any before it hits the unit?? so confused
can anyone offer any advise or facts?

If anyone has ever bothered to do some research about dha and spraytan then none of this is that much of a surprise.The thing is there are the safe guards and guidelines out there already which have already been promoted and encouraged by responsible companys.

Use extraction,use masks as an operator,Give your clients the option of sniffits,do their consultation forms to rule out allergies and asthma.Work safely research exactly what you are dealing with.Its a chemical you are spraying its not blooming sugar water no matter how much some company may tell you its totally safe and organic blah blah.

I have personally never agreed with spray tanning pregnant women at any stage but most insurance companies will not insure for the first 3 months which is the main foetal development stage.

Work responsibly and safely,with knowledge and caution, like we have to with many other treatments and risk is as usual probably minimal.

I think it's ridiculous because in the article it even says that this theory hasn't even been tested on people yt it's the daily mail has brought health warnings for everything

Spray tans are safe

You may have read stories in the media reporting on claims in the US that using self-tanning sprays may not be safe. We would like to allay any concerns these articles might have caused and assure the many consumers who enjoy sun-less tanning may continue to do so, confident in the safety of their products.

The recent ABC News article responsible for this furor is old news regurgitated; this type of negative press is promoted primarily by UV Tanning Industry Lobby Groups

ABC should have revealed it was using a biased source - Joe Levy of the International Smart Tan Network, who presented ABC with a critique of one of the more recently published studies is part of a lobbying group for the UV tanning industry, bankrolling the UV industry's fight against restrictions on UV tanning. Spray Tanning is seen by many in the UV tanning industry, as the greatest threat to their profits so its no surprise that they would be keen to promote this type of negativity

The Smart Tan Network's involvement in the story is why the focus was on DHA and not on any of the many other ingredients found in spray tanning solution; DHA is what the UV industry worries about most!

Dihydroxyacetone (DHA), which chemically reacts with the amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) in the dead layer of the skin’s surface and causes a colour change which results in the ‘tan’ effect. DHA has recently been reviewed by the European Commission’s independent expert scientific committee (the SCCS), which advises the Commission on scientific matters and the safety of cosmetic ingredients. The SCCS looked at data to support the use of DHA in cosmetic formulations
The SCCS addressed the question of the product possibly being inhaled from self-tan sprays, and says “that the use of dihydroxyacetone as a self-tanning ingredient will not pose a risk to the health of the consumer”.
As well as this endorsement on the safety of DHA itself from the SCCS, it is important to stress that in Europe the manufacture and import of all cosmetic products are covered by strict safety laws. There is a legal requirement that every cosmetic product must undergo a safety assessment before it is placed on the market.
The ABC article was primarily concerned with repeated product use by the Professional spray technician, who has a different exposure level, compared to that of the occasional client.

The Doctor in the article did not say sunless tanners were unsafe. Instead, It was concluded that, there should be more studies. Naturally the headline became "DHA Health Risk."!

Based on all current information, taking in all studies presently available, along with the historical use of DHA both applied topically (for the last 80 years, 40 plus years by consumers), and sprayed on (for the last 20 plus years) – There is no conclusive evidence of a problem when used correctly, at correct dosage levels, in a manner consistent with normal tanning applications.

Keep in mind, consumers, from all walks of life, all health conditions, pregnant and non-pregnant - have been breathing in, ingesting, and applying sunless products for many years now and it hasn’t been seen as a real health concern yet.

Exceptions would apply, as with any standard cosmetic ingredient, in cases of individual sensitivities, or allergies, or those with compromised respiratory function. But the sensitivity levels for sunless products, are still within the normal ranges for all cosmetic products currently on the market.

These clients should always receive advise from their Health Care provider before using any products or services, they may have a sensitivity to.

What we recommend:

Be honest with clients. This is not new news, it is old news. The most recent study cited was 8 years old. And studies that indicate DHA is safe for use were not mentioned.

Technicians should provide up to date equipment like the MaxiMist machines, with correct product atomization levels, which will help to reduce airborne solution. Never use DIY units or cheap ill-designed imports from China, these are not going to apply the solution properly and will disperse more products in the room and air.

All clients should be provided with protective items, such as nasal filters, disposable under garments and barrier cream (which could be used as a lip-balm).

Technicians should always use nasal filters or face masks and most important of all, ensure there is adequate ventilation or extraction. If you blow your nose at day's end, and see evidence of tan solution in your tissue, then your room is not well ventilated.

Having a proper Spray Tan extractor will help. Avoid machines using 3 to 6 blades (like a propeller), they are ineffective and will not be powerful enough to draw the solution out of the atmosphere and through the filtrate material

Obtain written approval from a medical provider before spraying any client who may have sensitivities that indicate use of a self tanner may be problematic. Or who have a known sensitivity or allergy to any ingredient in your solution blends, or skincare products.

We provide ingredient information listings on the labels of all of our products, for the use of technicians.

Obtain medical approval before spraying pregnant or breastfeeding clients, and require use of protective items.

Do not spray clients with compromised respiratory conditions, or impaired lung health.

The report was put together by ABC Good Morning America. It is very poor and has no new data. The main thrust of the report is DHA has not been proven to be safe to breath. The flip side of this is that it hasn't been proven to be dangerous either. The research involved is 12 years old and has not been peer reviewed. The documents involved have never been made public and have almost certainly been commissioned by the big players in the UV tanning business as Suntana points out. The UK press have picked up on it and just reprinted it, poor journalism, but it's out there. You can see the TV package at :-
Safety of Popular 'Spray On' Tans in Question; Are You Protected? - ABC News

These are the FDA guidelines:-
Sunless Tanners and Bronzers

To be absolutely clear DHA is approved by the FDA for use in spray tans. The guide lines are easy to follow and practical. We feel this report is very poor, never the less it has highlighted that many professionals have no idea about the advice they should be giving their clients.

The principals laid down by the FDA are these:-

1. DHA is safe and approved for use in spray tanning products.
2. Contact with mucus membranes is not approved. This does not mean that DHA is unsafe in this context it has just not been tested.
3. Inhalation is not approved. Again this does not mean that DHA is unsafe in this context it has just not been tested. At this time there is no evidence that DHA is dangerous.

So that's the background.

The important thing is to reassure your clients and give the correct advice, which by the way has not changed for 10 years, and is pretty straight forward:-

1. Offer your client nasal filters.
2. Offer your client eye protection. (Winkies)
3. Offer your client a lip balm
4. Offer you client a thong

Do this and assuming your product is FDA approved your clients can be sure they are absolutely safe.

Latest posts

Back