Something I saw in the Daily Mail - health warning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoken-words

Reaction score
Daily mail again!!

Ive stopped looking now because i get so bloody annoyed with how they percieve ANYTHING within the hair/beauty industry.

Every week they have articles on the industry and never in a good or even fair light.

Alas, another misinformed non-biochemist writing about biochemistry. I'll stick to medical journals to get the latest health news, thanks DM!

I also just read this article, I do feel concerned though as a spray tanner how we are affected health wise.
Do all you spray tanners use masks/ extractors always?

Dont let certain papers scare monger you!
If your worried do some research of your own,but remember if we all listened to the scare mongering by most papers online etc we wouldnt leave the house!!!

The article in the Mail says that they haven't even carried out test on humans, so why the hell are they trying to frighten people with this report and surely if it was a health risk then these type of reports would of come out sooner.

Shelley X :)

I personally do think spray tanning does propose a risk even if it is at the level that it causes potential allergies. I sold my kit as it really affected my sinuses and I should imagine very risky if you have asthma. Breathing in these solutions weekly cannot be good for you - worse if you are the therapist performing several a day. I do not think the report is unrealistic at all - maybe a good reason to bring back the manual tan:). Proper extraction systems and client/therapist care are a must if you perform spray tanning.

Well if the Daily FAIL said it's true....

Well if the Daily FAIL said it's true....
Ugh exactly. My Mum reads it and is always telling me the latest thing that is going to kill me.

I swear it makes her paranoid. Awful rag.

Hi All,

This report is from ABC Good Morning America. They did an extensive piece yesterday morning on Americas biggest breakfast TV show.

There are no new facts contained in the piece. The research being referred to was done in 1999. Aviva Labs sunless products are all FDA approved for use as spray tan and topical applications. The guide lines have not changed. ie. your clients should be offered nose filters (About 30p), a lip balm should be applied, and eye protection should be warn like winkies, they cost about 17p per tan so it's not expensive to provide the correct protection for your clients.

Once again all Aviva Labs products are FDA approved for use as a spray tan and for topical applications.

Our customers are important but as professional spray tanners we also must be aware that inhaling overspray is to be avoided. Our products have the lowest airborne particulate levels available, indeed most people using them for the first time are surprised that there is virtually no visible overspray. Never the less when you're back to back tanning protection is advised.

This story will not go away and you need to reassure your clients.

Although this is an important story for our industry there is a far bigger one to do with Brown HT which is used in the guide colour of many tanning solutions. This is dangerous and has now been banned in United States, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Norway, Switzerland, Japan, Canada and Sweden.

All Brown HT manufacturers advise that skin/eye contact and inhalation should be avoided, as Brown HT is known as a skin irritant, potential carcinogen and to cause asthma attacks in people allergic to aspirin.

Brown HT is a histamine liberator and can induce hypersensitivity, and skin ailments including eczema, dermatitis, itching, rashes, and hives. It can also cause bad reactions in people who are allergic to aspirin and is known to induce asthma attacks. It is also linked to hyperactivity in children.

If anyone wants detailed info on these issues please PM me.

ABC News aired a story yesterday morning on Good Morning America, the mainstream, top-rated news show in the States. In it, they created a scary view of the potential danger of spray tanning--specifically the inhalation of sunless tanning solution. They have gathered several medical experts and point to medical reports not publicly available to support their argument. They show lots of videotape of manual airbrushing of the face. I'm sure you get the picture.

Today the story has hit the mainstream press in the UK.

First, relax and don't worry. The spray tanning industry and your business is not going away. All Aviva Labs sunless product ingredients are FDA approved for use as spray tan and topical applications. When used according to the FDA guidelines, spray tanning with Aviva Labs sunless solutions is perfectly safe.

We have spoken with dozens of salon, spa & mobile customers about this news story this morning. Most weren't too worried. A few, however, were very concerned about their clients reactions: "What will I tell my clients?" some asked. "Am I going to lose business?" asked others. After some coaching, even these salon customers felt confident they could address the issue successfully with their concerned clients. We have composed a response strategy for our UK customers. Please PM me and I will email the details.

Being aware of this story is important as there is nothing worse than a client raising the issue when you are know nothing about it hence this post.

This is such potential issue for our industry we will attempt to respond to all requests even if you are not one of customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally do think spray tanning does propose a risk even if it is at the level that it causes potential allergies. I sold my kit as it really affected my sinuses and I should imagine very risky if you have asthma. Breathing in these solutions weekly cannot be good for you - worse if you are the therapist performing several a day. I do not think the report is unrealistic at all - maybe a good reason to bring back the manual tan:). Proper extraction systems and client/therapist care are a must if you perform spray tanning.

Did you not try one of those little masks hun? Xxx

For anyone who offers their customers the eye guards and also the mask, do you just get them to remove these when spraying their face?!

You don't need a mask just nose filters. You should not actually spray the eye lids.

Ugh exactly. My Mum reads it and is always telling me the latest thing that is going to kill me.

I swear it makes her paranoid. Awful rag.

I hate it. It's the biggest piece of right wing, scare mongering rubbish I've ever come acros!

I tend to agree and have no intention of offering spray tanning. We have recently covered this at college and despite sitting about 10 feet away from the booth observing the tutor, I was still coughing away from all the inhaled tan overspray and she is an excellent spray tanner!

I will be sticking to manual tanning which I must say is must more relaxing and enjoyable for me and my clients! Also, there isn't a spray booth to keep washing down and worrying whether or not your ceiling and furniture are going to turn dark brown eventually!

I've now actually had both a spray tan (which I did not enjoy - freezing cold solution, inhalation problems and really noisy) and manual tan (which was a lovely relaxing treatment). Out of the 2, I found that a manual tan lasted far longer and much better than the spray tan despite using the same brand of tanning solution.......go figure??!

PB
x

thank you that.

Is everyone as worried about this as I am? What are we going to tell our clients? I've got a busy night ahead of me and need to be ready with the right information should it come up. Help please!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I'm abit worried about how my clients will react. Tbh there is no proven facts on what he has said and spraytanning is still the best, saftest and easiest option on faking a tan. I'm going to tell me clients who question it and are worried that I have masks available if they wish to wear one, but if they are that worried they should just not get a tan!

I myself think it's time I started wearing a mask.

I dot no what the world has come to in regards to what's safe and what's not. You just can't do anything.

Also I would like to point out that sunbeds are proven as being bad and that doesn't stop people using them. X

I think this is yet another one of those far to early scare things...a bit like getting cancer from eating burnt toast :rolleyes:

As I understand it nothing as yet is fully proven and its early testing

In any event adequate air purification should be a standard procedure undertaken by therapists so as to remove all airborne DHA particles and thus protect the customer as well as yourself from DHA inhalation.

In terms of your customers I would recommend that you be completely upfront and say

"yes Ive heard about this but as I understand it its just preliminary tests ...in any event your health and wellbeing is being taken seriously which is why I use an extract module to remove airborne particles and in fairness the inhalation of airborne particles is much more prolific,due to the confined space and lack of extraction , in automated booths which here in the UK are not that popular and indeed not the method I am using today with you"

HTH :wink2:

Latest posts

Back