Something to practice sculpting on

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffle

Reaction score
I'm looking for something I can practise sculpting on...I will on friends too but I'm thinking just something I can sit here and do in the evenings. Are the trainers hands / finger any good for sculpting on? Have read alot of post saying not, but not sure what else would be, if anything?

I'd suggest a trainer hand at fist ... They are sitting still and they are patient
Or I'd recommend practicing on your self - I do both ... The brand I use 'ONS' offers a polish like thing to put on your nails before so you can make the nails and file them etc, and when they are done you can take them right off - that's brilliant I think :)
I post a pic. Of my
Nail trainer ;-) just a sec.

57380a3b-2ed3-f797.jpg
the nail trainer

When I was doing my training years ago, we were recommended to use a homemade method, to save spending on a trainer hand. Get a rubber glove and fill with sugar to make it like a hand, tie off the end with a rubber band or hair band. Then you can stick tips on as the nails and practice whatever you need to on them :) worked great as the rubber is obviously flexible so you can move the "fingers" like real fingers :wink2: might be worth ago before spending any money, just a thought.

When I was doing my training years ago, we were recommended to use a homemade method, to save spending on a trainer hand. Get a rubber glove and fill with sugar to make it like a hand, tie off the end with a rubber band or hair band. Then you can stick tips on as the nails and practice whatever you need to on them :) worked great as the rubber is obviously flexible so you can move the "fingers" like real fingers :wink2: might be worth ago before spending any money, just a thought.

Ah that sounds good! Can you fit forms to them ok? Off to get a glove....:biggrin:

I'd suggest a trainer hand at fist ... They are sitting still and they are patient
Or I'd recommend practicing on your self - I do both ... The brand I use 'ONS' offers a polish like thing to put on your nails before so you can make the nails and file them etc, and when they are done you can take them right off - that's brilliant I think :)
I post a pic. Of my
Nail trainer ;-) just a sec.

Thank you! That polish sounds like a fab idea! That's the only problem with doing it on yourself if you don't want to keep them. x

Ah that sounds good! Can you fit forms to them ok? Off to get a glove....:biggrin:

As long as you glue the tip to the finger of the glove so that there is a "free edge" then I don't see why not, it's a quick and cheap experiment before spending out on a trainer hand IMO :wink2: I practised polishing and Gel on mine and I could file and buff and do whatever I needed to without the "nail" coming off and it felt quite life like :)

As long as you glue the tip to the finger of the glove so that there is a "free edge" then I don't see why not, it's a quick and cheap experiment before spending out on a trainer hand IMO :wink2: I practised polishing and Gel on mine and I could file and buff and do whatever I needed to without the "nail" coming off and it felt quite life like :)

Thank you Planky1...I'll give this a go before buying anything. :biggrin:

Afternoon geeks

Saw the post on sculpting with a rubber glove, liked the idea however not enough sugar in house to fill glove! Lol

Don't have blue tac either 😞

Any ideas how else I can practise other than the two I mentioned above just until I can do it with glove or blue tac.

Try Rice in the rubber glove.

Fill I be able to stick a tip on with the grains?

i fill my gloves with flour! xx

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Fill I be able to stick a tip on with the grains?

Yes. You will be surprised how easy it is :0) and much easier to clean up should you spill any.

Thank you all for your advice!

Did my first set of sculptures on my marigolds!!

Pictures arnt that great.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1353881805.521319.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1353881805.521319.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 220
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1353881871.960025.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1353881871.960025.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 222
I always just use my own hand and then i think uh oh !
that was a bit big hahahaha
once i scultped a great big swan and i had to go about like that, taking bits off a little at a time

I was taught in the en Vogue book in my course to use a 13mm 1/2" diameter dowling for fingers to sculpt on.

with a pencil draw a mock nail plate you can get 4x on the dowel
you can glue a tip on and or use the forms....

i have a nail trainer hand and would be willing to sell it if you decide you want to buy one. If you are interested PM me and i can check what is in the box.x

Latest posts

Back